Fitbit and MFP completely different numbers - which one is correct!

Options
Shezzad45
Shezzad45 Posts: 3 Member
I have had a fitbit Aplha for a few weeks now and wanted a better food tracker so went with MFP Premium and synced it with my fitbit. I seem to have a very low amount of calories with MFP, 1290 a day. I am 5ft 7 and 132 Lbs. I only want to lose .5 a week as my goal is to lose last bit of fat then add toned muscle through weights and Pilates. Fitbit has calculated that I burn roughly 2000 calories a day through steps and exercise and has given me a baseline of 1425. Today I have so far burnt 300 from an hours walking but MFP only added 40 on to my 1290. I can't live and exercise off that low amount and think it seems very wrong. Any help or experience appreciated as I am tempted to ditch MFP and stick with fitbit.

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your activity level on MFP is way off. What do you have it set at and about how many steps do you get a day?
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at lightly active goal is .5 a week, I'm 5'2 164lbs, I walk 15k-20k a day and earn about 800 more calories a day

Example base calories on MFP 1460
    walked 18k steps earned 1080 more calories, banking some for the weekend so I ate about 1700
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it is syncing right and getting all of your steps? I am not trying to be obnoxious. My fitbit stopped syncing steps on mobile the other day and stopped adding steps. There is a way to disconnect and reconnect (you have to disconnect both). I had to remove the app and add it back to see the proper steps. 40 is too little for an hour walk + regular activity.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So with Premium on MFP comes option to ignore the ability of MFP to correct itself to the better Fitbit figures.

Did you set that option? Are you sure the 40 was added to the eating goal?
    Did you manually log the walk on MFP? Don't, unneeded.

Because end of the day, if both set to same 0.5 lb weekly - would end up the same. The estimating of eating goal during the day can vary depending on settings.

Because MFP sets an eating goal of NO exercise expected, and you actually being at the activity level you selected.

Oh - you've burnt more than 300 today due to walking - you are likely misreading something on Fitbit's info.
    Unless you meant to viewed that workout info only - but you burn calories sleeping.
    I only mention that because some are unaware of that fact.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add: there is a fitbit user group here. You may find helpful info