Which weekly weight loss is good?

Options
So I need to lose about 150 pounds to be at a lifetime goal. I am 6’5” and wondering if A 2lb, 1.5lb, or 1lb weekly weight loss goal is best? Thank you.

Replies

• fernie8787
    fernie8787 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try what works for you. I started at 2lb and when i started losing weight my calories intake went down and it got hard for me to stay at a deficit. So I went to 1.5 and I have been okay so far. But see what works for you.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    For how much you have to lose 2 pounds a week is good for at least the first half of your loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    1% of your current body weight per week is a reasonable rule of thumb, as long as you don't experience any negative symptoms (like fatigue or weakness). At around 50 pounds above goal weight, start slowing it down even more, maybe a pound a week max at 25 pounds to go, 0.5 pounds a week at 10-15 pounds to go.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    mjc8080 wrote: »
    So I need to lose about 150 pounds to be at a lifetime goal. I am 6’5” and wondering if A 2lb, 1.5lb, or 1lb weekly weight loss goal is best? Thank you.

At a goal of losing 150 pounds, I would start out at 2 pounds a week. Unless your dr has a different goal in mind. You can do this.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Around 1% is my goal.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    1% body weight, or if you know how much fat you have (based on a recent dexa or something) then fat mass (in lbs) * 31 is a pretty reasonable maximum deficit per day (multiply by 7 and then divide by 3500 to convert it into lbs).

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com//showpost.php?p=139222&postcount=3

• bulldozer1984
    bulldozer1984 Posts: 10 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If you are a patient person, don't exceed 2lbs per week. If you are not a patient person, you may want to lose more than that even if it is not the smartest decision health wise. If you don't see the results you want, you may give up on the diet so you need to be happy with the weight loss achieved week to week. I had about 75lbs to lose and am losing at 2-3 lbs per week, and am half way there.

I know some weeks when the scale doesn't move (it happens) you start to doubt yourself and think "why am I putting myself through this for no reward". Thankfully I pushed through and lost again the following week. One thing I told myself early on was that "I spent the last 5 years putting the weight on, so be a little patient getting it back off. And after 16 weeks, losing 33 lbs, I am doing great". Good luck and remember you are not alone when you are sitting there starving lol