Activity level

Options
How do people know what to class there activity level as? I’m struggle to know which category to put this in? I’m up at 4.30-5 everyday I leave the house at 6 and go and sort my 2 Horses out do there stables etc, I then go to work and Work in a warehouse so I’m often lifting and on my feet, I then finish work and go back to my Horses and ride etc, 3 days a week I will go gym and do a mixture of cardio and weight training and then 1 day a week I do a hours boxing pt I also do a cleaning job 6 hours a week, I want to make sure I’m getting the right calorie intake I had it down as lightly active and I have just changed it to active?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it. Choose one that seems closest to your daily activity (not counting intentional exercise) and track your results. If you find yourself losing too quickly, you can bump up your activity level. If you find yourself losing too slowly, drop down a level.
  • jodiemaloney7848
    jodiemaloney7848 Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @janejellyroll Thank you I’m new to all this still so not sure how it all works!
  • MattQ209
    MattQ209 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's what I'm wondering too. I use Lightly Active. But I seasonally do Alpaca Shearing, and the other 9 months of the year I'm nailing plywood roofs on Warehouses. My jobs are pretty physically demanding.
  • jodiemaloney7848
    jodiemaloney7848 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @MattQ209 it would be good if there was a guide really to go off wouldn’t it, like you don’t wanna be having too many calories and gain but then you don’t want to not have enough and not loose either
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How do people know what to class there activity level as? I’m struggle to know which category to put this in? I’m up at 4.30-5 everyday I leave the house at 6 and go and sort my 2 Horses out do there stables etc, I then go to work and Work in a warehouse so I’m often lifting and on my feet, I then finish work and go back to my Horses and ride etc, 3 days a week I will go gym and do a mixture of cardio and weight training and then 1 day a week I do a hours boxing pt I also do a cleaning job 6 hours a week, I want to make sure I’m getting the right calorie intake I had it down as lightly active and I have just changed it to active?

The bold is absolutely nothing to do with your activity setting - exercise and activity are completely distinct and separate entities on MyFitnessPal.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I think trial and error is probably your best bet here. Clearly your lifestyle, outside of the gym, isn't sedentary so you can most likely eradicate that.

My guess is you're either active or lightly active but you'll need to track that for a few weeks or more to see which one.