Kettle Ball?

Options
So I want to try something different. I am thinking of adding a kettle ball to my workouts. Do any of you use the kettle ball? If so, what are your thoughts? Good or bad. Have you seen results?

Replies

• zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I got one and used it with a jullian michaels dvd and hated it

I was sore the first day after using it but after that it just didn't seem to be doing much for me
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kandy221
    kandy221 Posts: 79
    Options
    I just got a couple kettlebells, the kettle bell swing is a good cardio workout , if you do nothing else with it. Watched a few youtube videos and went to swinging. Good luck!
  • soariels
    soariels Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree, the kettlebell swings are a fantastic way to get an all-over workout. I have a 35 lb one, which is the recommended weight for a woman with some exercise experience.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels is a TERRIBLE kettlebell DVD. Very poor instruction and technique. That being said, kettlebells are awesome if used properly!

I've been using kettlebells for over a year and they are by far my favorite tool EVER. Maximum overall multitasking workout, and the results have been unbelievable. The key is good initial instruction.

I suggest getting a good comprehensive instructional DVD or taking a class if at all possible to get your moves down. Technique is everything! It takes a little practice but is well worth it!

xx Best wishes xx
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first Jillian Michaels Dvd, Shred with weights, she uses a Kettle Bell, I don't have one but am considering getting one. I use a regular weight instead for now, but I have had an injury to my rotator cuff, and I wonder if kettle bells will be harder on it, some of the swinging stuff I already do makes me really nervous.
  • lizwilsonng
    Options
    The lady that runs the gym I go to is looking into getting kettlebells and starting a class for them. I am interested to try them too, though I have never really heard of them before.
  • RFTA
    RFTA Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A VERY good question!

I, personally, DO recommend employing a Kettlebell. I've been using them for about 4 years now,. and not only have I noticed a difference with myself (both with my overall stamina and strength), but with my clients as well (from a personal trainer's standpoint^^).

There are, however, a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. DEFINITELY make sure you get proper instruction on how to use one. Since a number of the Kettlebell exercises are momentum-driven, it's all too easy for one to throw out a shoulder, bash a knee, or (worse) strain your back if you don't learn proper techniques for things like the Swing, Hi-Pull and Snatch.

2. Make sure you start with the PROPER Kettlebell weight. According to some of the more well-known and more elite Kettlebell organizations/companies (such as Dragon Door and RKC), it's recommended that an "untrained" female start with the 18lb Kettlebell, and work her way up to being able to swing the 35lb Kettlebell around with an equal level of control. Men, on the other hand, should start out with the 35lb Kettlebell (an "untrained" male), with their focus on achieving (at least) the ability to use the 53lb one with the same level of efficiency as the 35lb.

Why is this so important? Because, like any exercise, you WANT it to be a challenge in the beginning. The journey to mastering that particular Kettlebell weight IS the point to using it. The last thing you wanna do is, for example, have an "untrained" female grab a 5lb Kettlebell, use it for a couple of weeks, and see no real challenge to it (i.e. heart rate doesn't increase, no muscular challenge). Likewise, you don't wanna start out with something SO heavy that you end up sacrificing form (risk of injury). Again, having someone instructing you in person would be able to best suggest which weight would be best for you to start at.

On a side note...JUST IN CASE someone in their 60s (or older) is reading this ^_^...you should also use discretion when picking a weight to start at. Despite the strength of my 67 year-old female, I have her swinging around a 15lb Kettlebell. It's light enough so that she's able to to perform just about any exercise with a relative amount of challenge, BUT she doesn't have to worry about trying to strain her shoulder while performing a Kettlebell Thruster (Squat --> Rising Shoulder Press).

All in all, Kettlebells are, once again, a GREAT addition to your workouts. You can work any body part using "traditional" style lifting exercises (such as Squats and Biceps Curls), dynamically work your core muscles (like with Swings and Turkish Get Ups), or up your anaerobic cardiovascular threshold (with combinations of swings for timed intervals). As long as you properly educate yourself about what you're getting into--and how to go about doing it--you'll find the Kettlebell a very-welcomed addition to your exercise regime.
  • JenWaldon
    JenWaldon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels kettle bell may not be a good idea. Because the weights are removable, it isn't going to be properly balanced. You want a kettle bell that's balanced so it doesn't cause any injury. That's why they're cast as one piece.