How many calories should I eat?

Options
deecuebee
deecuebee Posts: 3 Member
I just went to the doctor for the first time in several years. Most of my life I was a healthy weight, although that's taken a lot of work for the past 2 decades and I generally hovered right on the edge of being overweight. Over the last 3 years I've put on 40 lbs. (!!!) (no, I don't know why, I don't think my eating or exercise habits have changed, I guess getting old just sucks) so now I'm overweight. My doctor told me that I need to make a lifestyle change and eat less than 1200 calories per day, very low carb but not keto, low fat (no cheese, no cooking oil, etc.), and low sodium, and lift weights more. This is...daunting. I have had success with low carb in the past (and never had success with anything else) but low carb seems to be less effective as I've gotten older (possibly because my habits have changed over the years so my baseline is already somewhat low carb and there's less to cut out).

Where do you suggest I start? For the past week I've been eating very few calories (I took the "less than 1200" to heart), but I probably can't sustain it.

For exercise I normally run, do interval workout on an elliptical, or do exercise videos that include cardio and weights. I struggle to find time to do them as often or as long as I should, though, and the only way to change that is to sleep less. (I have a crazy job and 2 kids so I'm pretty much going from 6:30 am to 12 or 1 am every day.)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Not less than 1200, unless your doctor is closely monitoring your results and health markers

Set your goal on here to a pound a week. Eat that amount plus at least a portion of your exercise calories. Log everything as accurately as possible, including using a food scale if need be.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I would start by getting a second opinion on what the doctor suggested you use for your calorie limit and what to cut out.

Do you have diabetes, high blood pressure, or any other health issues that would suggest you need to cut out so much of what he's listed? If you cut out carbs and fat, that means you'll be eating nothing but protein. Doesn't sound healthy or balanced to me.

As far as losing the weight, you can do it more easily (and healthy) by entering your stats into MFP, setting a reasonable weight loss of 1 lb/week (based on the amount you have to lose) and following that calorie goal. As far as the content of what you eat, it would depend on the above questions but for weight loss only, you can eat whatever macro division works best for you. You should make sure to eat enough protein to protect your muscles (generally recommended at .6 grams per pound of body weight.) Dietary fat is not bad for you within reason. "Low fat" diet foods are not necessarily a good choice unless you have some other reason to require them.

Again, I would strongly recommend getting a second opinion on what and how much to eat from a doctor specializing in such matters rather than your GP.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    deecuebee wrote: »
    I just went to the doctor for the first time in several years. Most of my life I was a healthy weight, although that's taken a lot of work for the past 2 decades and I generally hovered right on the edge of being overweight. Over the last 3 years I've put on 40 lbs. (!!!) (no, I don't know why, I don't think my eating or exercise habits have changed, I guess getting old just sucks) so now I'm overweight. My doctor told me that I need to make a lifestyle change and eat less than 1200 calories per day, very low carb but not keto, low fat (no cheese, no cooking oil, etc.), and low sodium, and lift weights more. This is...daunting. I have had success with low carb in the past (and never had success with anything else) but low carb seems to be less effective as I've gotten older (possibly because my habits have changed over the years so my baseline is already somewhat low carb and there's less to cut out).

Where do you suggest I start? For the past week I've been eating very few calories (I took the "less than 1200" to heart), but I probably can't sustain it.

For exercise I normally run, do interval workout on an elliptical, or do exercise videos that include cardio and weights. I struggle to find time to do them as often or as long as I should, though, and the only way to change that is to sleep less. (I have a crazy job and 2 kids so I'm pretty much going from 6:30 am to 12 or 1 am every day.)

Is your weight causing any immediate health issues?
    I ask because primary care physicians are not necessarily experts in weight loss. Eating less than 1200 calories, and with such limited choices, is way more stressful and possibly not very healthy!

If your doctor did diagnose you with specific health conditions, I would agree you should get a second opinion. If not, I would suggest at least using the calorie goal MFP gives you to lose 1 lb per week, or at least ask for a referral to a registered dietitian who can determine if you really need to take such a stressful path. Losing fast and white knuckling it all the way often leads to just gaining it all back.

Many folks here have lost 50+ lbs eating more than 1200 cals and a much less restrictive diet. Whatever you decide, good luck!
  • deecuebee
    deecuebee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No immediate health problems. My blood tests all came back ok - no diabetes, cholesterol is good. I’m just overweight, bordering on obese. I’m not very tall so the 40 lbs. I’ve gained is A LOT for me. The weight gain has definitely affected my running ability, too, I’m slow and having trouble getting my distance back up.

When I did low carb in the past it was South Beach style, so still lots of non-starchy veggies, which is still what I do. I’ve been mostly living on spring mix, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggs, and plain chicken and fish for the last week, which is basically what the doctor recommended, but there aren’t a whole lot of calories in any of that. I’m 45 and unfortunately my metabolism seems to have come to a screeching halt the last few years!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I am 43, 5'4" and losing steadily on 1600-1700c. I'm a lot less active than you are.
  • malibu927
    Options
    It's not your metabolism. If it came to a halt, you'd be dead. Start logging everything on here, get that food scale, and you'll lose. You can stick to low carb, as it sounds like that's your WOE, but you have to make sure there's a calorie deficit for weight loss to happen.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your doctor either lacks communication skills, or if he really said that, nutrition skills. Less than 1200 calories per day leaves you hungry, hangry, lethargic and short term prone to cheating and rebound overeating and subsequent regain; if you keep at it, prone to malnourishment. Very low carb means high fat, not low fat. There's nothing wrong with cheese, and you need dietary fat and salt. What he could have told you, is that your age is not the reason you have gained weight, just small unnoticeable changes in lifestyle is enough to gain weight, over time, and thus, losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight, doesn't necessitate a dramatic change of habits. But it takes a dramatic change in outlook and attitude.

Eat the amount of calories MFP tells you, for real and consistently, be more active on the daily, and get more sleep (not less). Then be patient.
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’m at 1200 calories a day and it can be tough. After a while you will be able to do these calculations in your head which helps for preplanning. When I exercise, I increase my calories because it generally means an additional snack that day.
    I find that there will be one or two days during the week where I will be over slightly. Listen to your body because it is getting adjusted.
    My diary is open if you want to look
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    That sounds like terrible advice from your doctor! Your age isn't the reason you've gained weight. You don't just gain weight simply because you age and your metabolism doesn't slow down or stop.

It's all about figuring the right amount of calories you need daily for your specific stats and energy output. Sleep is important and it sounds like you're on a pretty hectic schedule so I'd put more focus on accurately measuring the amount of calories you intake instead of worrying about structured, timed exercise for now.
  • malibu927
    Options
    body weight x 11 = calories and fro macros the ratio should be 50% carbs 30% protein and 20% fat. low carb is not good because or body uses it for energy. it is all about calories in and calories out. calories are a measurement of energy and any extra energy (calories) are stored as fat. this means that over the past 3 years you over ate 140,000 calories (3,500 calories in a pound of fat x 40 = 140,000) this could have been hidden calories while eating out or just not tracking macros and calories. i strongly suggest using this app to do so

Body weight x 11 would put me close to maintenance, and likely over for many people. And macros are a personal preference. I know many people who have succeeded on low carb diets strictly because of your following sentence: CICO rules weightloss.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I'd find a new doctor.

1200 constitutes aggressive calorie restriction for most people, unless you are very short. Less than 1200 is not recommended unless you are under close medical supervision, which it does not sound like you are.

You do not have to be low carb, low fat, low sodium, or low anything else in order to lose weight, unless your doctor recommended those things to address specific medical conditions with which you've been diagnosed. All you have to do is consistently eat fewer calories than you burn.

You don't have to follow a specific macro percentage. Macros are important for some other health goals, but not for weight loss. The only time macros really matter for weight loss is if you find that more of a specific macro (often more protein, sometimes more fat) helps you feel full.

Lifting weights is great for maintaining muscle while losing weight, but it's not necessary. Cardio is also great for fitness and being able to eat a bit more, but it's also not necessary. In general, exercise is encouraged but not required for weight loss.

Set your MFP goal to a 1 pound per week rate of loss, and weigh and log your food consistently. Eat whatever you want within that calorie range, unless you have specific diagnosed medical issues that prohibit certain foods. And find another doctor.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Will low sodium, low carb, low fat, no cheese, no cooking oil be a lifestyle (as in forever change)? If you've got medical issues and need to be low fat, or are lactose intolerant and need to eliminate dairy, or have metabolic issues and need to be low carb......then you will have added incentive to eliminate these things forever.

Low carb AND low fat = a protein diet. If your doctor recommended this, I would get a second opinion. Also recommending eating less than the "default" minimum for women is reckless unless you are a tiny person. Very petite and or elderly women may need to go lower, but the majority of us don't.

Set your weekly weight loss goal for no more than 1 pound a week. Measure everything you eat.....digital food scale for solids and a measuring cup for liquids.

Calorie deficit is how everyone loses weight, carbs have nothing to do with it.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

So, in my experience, seeing an MD for nutritional advice is a horrible idea. They are less than educated in nutrition, generally speaking. Not attacking your doctor, just sharing my experience.

As many others have stated - and you stated it yourself - 1,200 calories or fewer is not likely sustainable. You have stated that you do not have any medical issues, that you are not diabetic or pre-diabetic [I have high A1C, so I follow the Keto Lifestyle (and admittedly have fallen off that wagon recently...but am back on)....and LOVE IT!].

For a starting point, I would suggest that you go to https://tdeecalculator.net and put in your information and see what it spits out (as to your caloric intake). Or, as others have suggested, set your goals here in MFP (I do *NOT* use these tools in MFP as I just dont.....but I am in the minority). Just keep in mind that - if you go to the on-line TDEE Calculator that these numbers are a starting point.

Generally speaking, it is all about the balance that you have between caloric intake and caloric expenditure. If you consume more than you burn, then you gain weight. If you burn more than you consume, then you lose weight. For most people, carb consumption is a very good thing.

Once you get comfortable with the caloric intake, do you have any idea as to how you will breakdown your calories? Yes, talking about "macros"!