Muscle soreness means rest?

Options
Hi everyone! I am coming from a very out of shape, inactive lifestyle. Last week, I started lifting weights and swimming. My weights are low, but challenging. I do the weight machines at the gym, 3 reps of 10 sets each - and the last rep is a struggle, but gets done.
Here's my question... my muscles get super sore two days after I work out. So, let's say I lifted weights on Saturday, on Sunday, my muscles feel fine, but on Monday, I am super sore. I had intended to lift weights 3 times a week, or up to every other day, but am wondering what the soreness means? Does that mean I should take an additional rest day? Perhaps lifting weights every fourth day?
I assume the soreness will get better over time, so maybe I just need to take it a little slower to start?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    maybe I just need to take it a little slower to start?

Sounds like it. I would only do 2 sets per muscle group the first week, and only compound movements (2 joints move), not isolation exercises (1 joint).
    You can work out when you're sore, though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I assume the soreness will get better over time, so maybe I just need to take it a little slower to start?

Yes and yes.
    You will acclimatise, it's not just your muscles either - tendons, ligaments and joints also have to get used to a new stressor. If you need to take 2 days (or even 3 days) between workouts then do it.
    Building up progressively is very sensible.
    You don't have to be inactive though and movement often helps get over soreness.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Active Recovery is often a really good thing. But, this is a very general comment. Depends on the soreness and what you were doing. So, +1 to the last sentence from sijomial.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    How good of a swimmer are you? Swimming is great exercise but you have to have halfway decent stroke mechanics to get much out of it. Maybe walking would give you better results?
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    0ysterboy wrote: »
    How good of a swimmer are you? Swimming is great exercise but you have to have halfway decent stroke mechanics to get much out of it. Maybe walking would give you better results?

I don’t really agree with this, swimming is a very active sport that allows for low impact movement.

It can be very beneficial for people who are just getting back into an active lifestyle, people who any amount of movement is leaps and bounds more than usual, people who walking is actually too hard on joints due to weight.

Are you an advanced swimmer? Because this would explain why you find swimming much easier than the rest of us!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    When I get muscle soreness, I keep up with my set routine but lower the weights a bit. I find that my muscles get better more quickly if I re-work them. This may not work for everyone and I'm not a qualified fitness person!!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If it's "Just DOMS" and that's what it sounds like, then the best thing for it is moving.

There are a million and ten theories on what actually causes DOMS, but there's little controversy in the camp of "Do something light, and similar to what caused the pain and it will clear right up"

• EllieTheLondoner
    EllieTheLondoner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You might surprise yourself with how quickly your body adapts to the new movement. Last week I changed up my workout routine and could barely walk after day 1. This week I did exactly the same thing and my muscles felt fatigued but walking was ok the next day!

Just repeating advice that's already been said, but I find what works for me is to break the body into 6 'zones' - front upper, core and lower, and back upper, core and lower - and I build a week's workout covering each area with sufficient rest in between.

So for example Monday I might do push ups (upper front), supermans (back core), and squats (front lower).
    Then Tuesday I might do pull ups (upper back), sit ups (front core) and straight leg deadlifts (back lower)
    Wednesday I take a day off
    Thursday I repeat Monday
    Friday I repeat Tuesday.

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    It sounds like DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) others have said it won't last and it's safe/preferable to train.

DOMS is just your muscles reacting to a new stimulus. When you're has adapted to your new lifting regime it'll wear off and you'll either not get it or only very slightly. Then my friend you'll miss it like a long lost brother. Because all though all experience lifters know DOMS are in no way an indication of a good/effective workout many of us love that DOMS feeling :D You'll only likely get it when you change routines once your used to it.

I just changed up my routine and I've got a DOMS party going on in my glutes and hammies. And while walking upstairs is a challenge I'm loving it.

The Swimming should be a really good way to ease the DOMS by the way. At least I've always found that.