Discouraged

Options
I’m 63 at 267 lbs. I lost about 25 lbs since January but when I hit a plateau 2 months ago I tried keto. That made me sick as I have no gallbladder and I got dehydrated from diarrhea. I’ve joined a gym but with arthritis in my knees and ankles my workouts are either inefficient or maybe I’m expecting too much too soon either way I’ve about had it. Im tired of being sore and hungry on 1200 calories. Maybe it meant for me to be big and beautiful.

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Wow why are you only eating 1200 cake a day, at your weight you can test way more while still at a deficit. Also try lower impact exercise like swimming if you are having pain. Start slow and work up to things, my husband lost over thirty pounds doing yoga every day for 2 months, he has bad knees and a wonky elbow so doing more than that was painful, but just moving at all helped!
  • LisaMelton1
    LisaMelton1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I was having a bad day. I like the idea of trying yoga or water aerobics.
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you're miserable, up your calories, maybe by 250kcals per day, and try that for a week or two. Then again if necessary. See how your weight responds. Your plan needs to be sustainable or it's effectively useless. Good luck :-)
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    To the OP. With your stats why are you only eating 1200 calories a day? I'm a male and am 6'1". I weighed 265, and got down to 190 by setting my MFP to lose .5 pounds a week. I lost much quicker by leaving behind calories, but always had the ability to eat them all and still be on track to lose.

IMHO the reason most people fail at weight loss is the desire to do it too quickly. Remember you didn't get fat by gaining two pounds a week, it more likely was 5-6 pounds A YEAR! So, maybe focus on losing as slowly as you gained.

It's not how fast you lose that is important. What is important is the direction the scale is moving.