Fitter, stronger = more sweat??

Options
Over the last six months I've tightened up my logging and eating habits, and have been making an effort to do regular strength training and cardio sessions each week. I feel great, and have dropped a few vanity kilos which is awesome. But I've noticed recently that, as I have become lighter, fitter and stronger, that I seem to sweat a lot more. Not so much a few light drops on the forehead as looking like I've been in a shower! I always try to challenge myself when I work out, so I don't feel like I'm suddenly pushing myself further, and my stamina and recovery time seem to be the same, but I sweat like an absolute beast. I don't think it's necessarily related to the weather either - I've noticed the same increase in sweatiness in the gym as when running outside in quite different temperatures and conditions.

It doesn't bother me at all (I don't give a rat's *kitten* how I look when I exercise - a good thing too, because it's not pretty!) and I'm always careful to hydrate properly afterwards...just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In the northern hemisphere it’s warmer now than 6 months ago and that can make you sweat more.
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    True, but even inside the temperature-controlled gym I'm noticing it...having grown up in the tropics I'm used to the effects of heat and humidity but this is different. Maybe it is the increased efficiency - bodies are such curious and interesting machines!
  • leeanneedith
    leeanneedith Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing last year, when I went through a similar experience when attending the gym. I started training more often, did harder classes, and had better overall conditioning, but my gosh did I ever sweat. Like, dripping on the floor sweat. It is gross, but I think it is just your body getting better at handling intense workouts. I kinda like it; proof that I worked hard that day!
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    True, but even inside the temperature-controlled gym I'm noticing it...having grown up in the tropics I'm used to the effects of heat and humidity but this is different. Maybe it is the increased efficiency - bodies are such curious and interesting machines!

It is much harder to control humidity compared to temperature. So, while the AC may be on, the humidity may be higher.

• huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    LOL, I found the opposite to be true. Before losing more than 40lb of “insulation”, I would work up a sweat almost literally at the drop of a hat. If I didn’t properly cool down before a shower after doing my cardio, I would still be sweating after. No fun. Much drier now.
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options

It is much harder to control humidity compared to temperature. So, while the AC may be on, the humidity may be higher.

Nope, it's quite a dry climate here. Humidity is the least of my problems...quite a pleasant change to Hong Kong, where running in summer was more like wading through peanut butter :D
  • Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Over the last six months I've tightened up my logging and eating habits, and have been making an effort to do regular strength training and cardio sessions each week. I feel great, and have dropped a few vanity kilos which is awesome. But I've noticed recently that, as I have become lighter, fitter and stronger, that I seem to sweat a lot more. Not so much a few light drops on the forehead as looking like I've been in a shower! I always try to challenge myself when I work out, so I don't feel like I'm suddenly pushing myself further, and my stamina and recovery time seem to be the same, but I sweat like an absolute beast. I don't think it's necessarily related to the weather either - I've noticed the same increase in sweatiness in the gym as when running outside in quite different temperatures and conditions.

It doesn't bother me at all (I don't give a rat's *kitten* how I look when I exercise - a good thing too, because it's not pretty!) and I'm always careful to hydrate properly afterwards...just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

Same, you’d think I was dying by how much I sweat. I consistently sweat through all of my shirts. I’m not sure why.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

Same, you’d think I was dying by how much I sweat. I consistently sweat through all of my shirts. I’m not sure why.

My whole family is like this. We call it our "high efficiency cooling system."
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Nope, it's quite a dry climate here. Humidity is the least of my problems...quite a pleasant change to Hong Kong, where running in summer was more like wading through peanut butter :D

We have the opposite problem in the middle of the US along the Mississippi River. Temps and Humidity are pretty close. So when we get 100 degree temps, the humidity wants to rise right up there with it. Uggh.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

See my first answer.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    LOL, I found the opposite to be true. Before losing more than 40lb of “insulation”, I would work up a sweat almost literally at the drop of a hat. If I didn’t properly cool down before a shower after doing my cardio, I would still be sweating after. No fun. Much drier now.

I've noticed a little bit of both - I don't sweat while doing normal daily activities but as I've gotten into better shape I've been able to push myself more, which has lead to more sweating. I think a lot of things change when you go from mostly sedentary to more active - it's not just a single line of improvement.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I always sweat a lot but over the past year, since I've been doing harder workouts I def sweat loads more - look like I've had a shower most mornings! I like it as it feels as though my skin is 'cleansing' x