New mom with 50+ lbs to lose! Looking for accountability friends!

Options
Sunshine373
Sunshine373 Posts: 29 Member
edited May 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hey yall! So here's my story... I recently just gave birth to a sweet baby boy on March 8th (his name is Barrett Adam - but we call him "Bear" for short.) During my pregnancy, I gained around 80 pounds :s I'm 5'7 so that is way past a healthy BMI. When I learned I was pregnant, I weighed approximately 165 lbs, so you can do the math! I felt like I finally had an excuse to eat whatever I wanted, so I did. Even my OB said gaining 40-50 lbs was nothing, and that most women gained around that mark (she told me she gained 70 lbs when she was pregnant.) So I felt like my excuse was justified. Needless to say, I went overboard and gained a lot of weight over a short period of time and my body took a huge beating. I have stretch marks galore, a tire tube tummy, I am tired all the time (not due to the baby - he's actually sleeping through the night!) and now have a body that is completely foreign to me. I feel like being a mommy would be so much easier if I could get back to my old self.

Before I got pregnant, I had gotten to 165 by using the program Isagenix. (I had gone from 185 to 165 in about 4-5 months) and I loved the program - it was so easy to follow, I loved the shakes, and it was so nice not having to think about what to eat for breakfast and lunch. With a busy job as an activities director, I needed that! Fast forward to present day, I'm getting back on Isagenix again to help me lose this weight. Additionally, I am cutting out dairy and gluten from my meals as much as possible since I do have an intolerance (not an allergy) for both.

After having Bear, I lost about 25 lbs of the weight I had gained. So I now have approximately 50 lbs to lose. I would love to have some accountability friends who have similar goals - send me a message and tell me your stories! Let's not go on this journey alone :smiley:

Replies

• heyitslindsayr
    heyitslindsayr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey Sunshine!
    Congrats on your baby boy! I'm here trying to lose about double what your goal is. I'm also 5'7 and 259 pounds at the moment. My highest was 269 when I started. I've been overweight pretty much my whole life but it didn't start getting really bad until I started college, developed depression, and PCOS. (which causes hormone imbalance and can make it harder to lose weight than normal >.<) I gained about 50-55 pounds of that over that year alone.
    Anyway, my goal weight has always been around 150 pounds. So where I'm at now I need to lose about 110! The thought of it is pretty daunting but I think my MFP buddies have been helping me stay motivated much more than if I were doing it by myself. I'll send you a friend request and anyone else feel free to add me!
  • susieque25
    susieque25 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello Sunshine,
    I haven't had a child, but my weight fluctuated a lot. in 2016 I lost 35 pounds but have gained back about 10. I'm 5'6". I need to lose 20-25 pounds to get within my height/weight normal chart. It's not lack of exercise. I have that covered very well. It's too many calories. I'm over 60, so besides needing to restrict calories to lose, I need to eat less in general because of my age. But I don't want to eat less, or give up my favorites.

What helped me stay on track before was a MD program with pills, B-12 shots and a weekly weigh-in. It was the weekly weigh in that kept me motivated, and that is what I am looking for now. I don' want to go back to the MD. It was expensive and after the first visit all I saw was a clinic aide who recorded my weight. This cost $150 per 4 weeks.

I'm looking for help with motivation, and don't want to join weight watchers, etc. It's not worth the investment, I think, and I really have trouble following diets explicitly. I don't like to be told what to eat. If you're my age and don't yet know how/what to eat, you must have lived in a bubble, because there is so much info out there.
  • johnien
    johnien Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I went from 135 before my 7th pregnancy to 213lbs after birth right after birth i was 165 but got post partum and ate my way to 213lbs im trying to get back down to atleast 150.......
  • littlewolf3785
    littlewolf3785 Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    Hi Sunshine!! I also gave birth on March 6th and have a little boy as well! Yours boys name is cute by the way. I am a little in the same boat as you. I was around 167lb before pregnancy and gained around 50lbs total. I had lost some of my weight after having him but have about 30-40lbs to go to get to my ideal weight. I had to have a emergency C-section and trying to heal still from the incision so that has hindered my getting back to exercising.

Feel free to add me, we can all be in this together and support each other so we don't go insane!!