Diet for stomach ulcers/acidity?

hbunting86
hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
Hi
I need to gain weight due to health issues, the main one being gastric ulcers and severe stomach acid. This has left me in hospital and I'm due to leave soon and am a bit clueless where to start.

Are there foods that are better for people with gastric issues and that will maintain/increase caloric intake and retention? Hospital haven't help much and on the web it's hard to know what's truth and what's the latest 'fad'.

Thanks!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2018
    There would be a dietician at the hospital, surely? Perhaps you need to ask if you can see one before you leave, or get a referral to see one asap - I would investigate this so you can enjoy food and gain weight, and get rid of your pain!
  • hbunting86
    Thanks... weirdly I did see one! There was no advice about specific foods etc just to 'eat what was comfortable' but that really doesn't give me a great deal of direction.

To get a BMR of 1340 in my body on liquid alone is quite hard volume-wise I imagine, so I wondered if there were foods better to blend. I love avocado and nut butters etc. Nut butters are fine in smoothies etc, but not sure how to blend avocado and other healthy fats whilst adding carbs and protein. The ready made shakes just seem a sugar feast and not wholly healthy. Usually my diet is very good and I always cook from scratch.

:)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited May 2018
    hbunting86 wrote: »
    Thanks... weirdly I did see one! There was no advice about specific foods etc just to 'eat what was comfortable' but that really doesn't give me a great deal of direction.

To get a BMR of 1340 in my body on liquid alone is quite hard volume-wise I imagine, so I wondered if there were foods better to blend. I love avocado and nut butters etc. Nut butters are fine in smoothies etc, but not sure how to blend avocado and other healthy fats whilst adding carbs and protein. The ready made shakes just seem a sugar feast and not wholly healthy. Usually my diet is very good and I always cook from scratch.

If you want liquids, make smoothies - they're easy to make calorie bombs.

High carb fruits (bananas work well), nut butters or avo, plus protein powder. Yoghurt could add extra protein and fats (plus carbs), then milk/non-dairy liquid to blend...
    Avo works well to add creaminess.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

Unfortunately, that's really the best/only available advice. Some people are aggravated by spicy food others by bland food. this is counterintuitive, but gastric/acid disorders aren't a one size fits all.

I assume since you've been hospitalized that they've eliminated the possibility that your acid/ulcer issues are bacterial and not dietary?

You'll have to experiment ultimately. to find what works.

Are you required to go liquid only? or is that a preference.

you can blend anything, from soups to stews. You'll need a good blender if you're trying to liquefy steak or pot roast, but it can be done.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Here is how MFP can help. Log everything. Track your body’s response in the notes. Introduce new foods gradually and eliminate whatever aggravates your condition.

Don’t write off added sugar until you find out how your body responds. It’s a fast way to add calories.

My little compromised stomach loves Kefir so give it a try. Of course you are going to have to find our overall how your body takes dairy.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    stomach lining irritation here
    warm fluids are soothing. i like soup and teas.
    breads can help absorb acid
    i avoid acidic foods like bbq, and tomatoes and peppers(bell)
    vinegar bad unless i'm trying to force a flush which sucks but needs to happen when all antiacid options didn't work.
    i can do dairy but i know some people can't.

if i am having a bad day, i eat like a have a hangover.

too much sugar can be bad. they say coffee but i say from they can take it from my cold, dead hands.
  • hbunting86
    Thanks everyone that's really helpful - at risk of sounding ignorant, what's Kefir?

I don't have to be liquid only but I have some damage to my oesophagus and larynx so it makes lumpy food more painful. There's damage to the mucous membranes which will heal over time apparently but for now I'm on liquids. I didn't know if you could add avo to sweet smoothies so that's good to know.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Kefir is a fermented milk drink with beneficial bacteria and yeasts, similar to yogurt. The fermenting uses up much of the sugar. I find it easier to digest overall over milk.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Thanks everyone that's really helpful - at risk of sounding ignorant, what's Kefir?

I don't have to be liquid only but I have some damage to my oesophagus and larynx so it makes lumpy food more painful. There's damage to the mucous membranes which will heal over time apparently but for now I'm on liquids. I didn't know if you could add avo to sweet smoothies so that's good to know.

There are no rules to smoothies, although from personal experience I wouldn't recommend blending salad. Avo flavour is super easy to mask...
  • hbunting86
    Thanks again I'll definitely give both the kefir and avo in smoothies a try... now I just have to get myself out of hospital!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    be very careful with dairy and ulcers. it can cause a painful situation
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Having just recovered from a nasty bout of ulcers/esophageal damage, all I can recommend, is stick to minimal spices, lower fat, low sodium. Say goodbye to coffee, chocolate and wine for a long while. I was grateful for the Dexilant. It helped get through the worse of the pain and inflammation and let me enjoy my 2 weeks in Italy without pain.

Once your esophagus heals, and it's easier to eat, you'll know quickly what your triggers are.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    What have you been eating in the hospital that hasn't caused you distress?

As a start, more of that, and foods/drinks like it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited May 2018
    I have had trouble with bad canker sore break outs in my mouth and acidic foods really hurt. I have found that green veggies(zucchini or yellow squash, turnip greens, celery, parsley, broccoli slaw etc), along with garlic and onion, cook up nicely and I blend them with canned chick peas. Milk and black tea are ok too, and ice cream but I think the sugar is bad for it. Pasta also works, just no red sauce. I was ok with pasta and olive oil or a little pesto, or Mac n cheese. And if you just can't stay away from coffee, add 1/8 tsp baking powder to it. I stay away from dark sodas, most fruits and tomato anything when I have a breakout.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    My coworker gets so sick with stomach issues and reflux I’m hoping to find something helpful for him. Doctors can’t figure out what’s wrong with him :neutral:
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I have pretty bad acid reflux that I've let go untreated for a while now. I have to be pretty careful with some things. Foods I have found to be aggravating

alcohol
    tomato based anything (ketchup included)
    spicy food (even Chipotle mild pico can cause a bad reaction)
    dairy
    whey protein
    hard boiled egg yolk
    over ripe bananas
    acidic fruit (pineapple, oranges)
    raw broccoli
    onion
    beef jerky
    salted nuts
    deli meat
    beans
    bread
    vitamin water zero
    carbonated drinks

Foods that are okay
    scrambled eggs
    well cooked green vegetables
    chicken
    baked potato
    rice (white and brown)
    salmon
    cliff builder bars

These might be unique to me, and I'm sure it includes or doesn't include things that either do work or won't work for you. Keep track of what you are eating and how you are feeling afterwards. Good luck!
  • Hjwall16
    Hjwall16 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi
    I need to gain weight due to health issues, the main one being gastric ulcers and severe stomach acid. This has left me in hospital and I'm due to leave soon and am a bit clueless where to start.

Are there foods that are better for people with gastric issues and that will maintain/increase caloric intake and retention? Hospital haven't help much and on the web it's hard to know what's truth and what's the latest 'fad'.

Thanks!
    Hi

Thanks!

Try the anti -candida diet.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Alcohol, peanuts and chocolate also bother me when I have a breakout.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I have stomach issues (gastroparesis and gastroduodenal Crohn's) and I'm mostly on a liquid diet. I make smoothies using a nutritional supplement (ensure, boost, etc), protein powder, and frozen fruit.