Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Snacking

Katttie89
Katttie89 Posts: 119 Member
edited May 2018 in Getting Started
Seriously need help when it comes to snacking!! Bordem is my biggest killer and the fact I work in a kitchen really doesn't. I need some healthy snack ideas and some will power wouldn't go amiss haha

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    What do you need help with?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Can you be more specific? Is your snacking putting you over your calorie goal? Or are you looking for suggestions of snacks that it into your diet? Are you snacking because you are hungry or because it's a habit? How much of a calorie deficit are you aiming for? Is your diet really restrictive?

Sorry for the 20 questions!
  • Katttie89
    edited May 2018
    sorry for some reason it didn't post the whole thing. I need some healthy snack ideas, because as soon as I get bored or Ive nothing to keep busy me I end snacking and most of the time it's not the good stuff I'm snacking on!
  • kimny72
    edited May 2018
    sorry for some reason it didn't post the whole thing. I need some healthy snack ideas, because as soon as I get bored or Ive nothing to keep busy me I end snacking and most of the time it's not the good stuff I'm snacking on!

If you use an emoji from your phone, it can cut off all the text after that for some reason.

Honestly, I get all the nutrition I need in my meals, my snacks are usually Oreos, ice cream, fruit, yogurt, or pretzels.

Healthy means different things to different people. If you mean low cal, maybe sugar free jello cups, carrot sticks with a little cup of dressing to dip in, string cheese, dark chocolate squares. I find drinking flavored hot green/herbal teas or a diet soda works if I'm not really hungry. If you are looking for whole food/clean eating type stuff, hopefully someone who focuses on that will be along to chime in. :drinker:
  • Katttie89
    How often do you snack? If you don't mind me asking. Do you think maybe I should change my meals abit see if that Helps cut the snacking down as my meals fill me up but not for long. I don't want to be going over 1200 calories though.
  • kimny72
    Is 1200 appropriate for you? Being overly aggressive/restrictive can lead to unmanageable cravings. But anyway, I skip breakfast and have 3 meals between noon and 8pm-ish then have an evening snack. About 50% of the time I'll have a midday snack too.

I find prelogging my day, including snacks, is really helpful. It gives me like a map to follow and I know I'll have to go in and change my plan if I ate something extra.

And seriously, I'd suggest double checking your goals are appropriate. 2 lbs per week is only appropriate if you are obese, and you should be eating back some of your exercise cals too. 1200 is not much food, and I just hate to see people struggling more than they have to!
  • Katttie89
    Prelogging sounds like a good idea might give that a go thank you. Tbh some days I struggle to hit the 1200 calorie mark Ive never really been a meal person until i started this but some days I hit and some I go over. I'm trying to find that set point I can stick at without it been through snacking unless it's healthy snacking, so I've changed my goals a few times
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    ^this. I don't know if you actually mentioned shooting for 2 lbs a week, but 1200 calories a day isn't what most people should dive in with.

My advice is to eat as many calories as you can while maintaining a moderate deficit. If you're more restrictive than necessary, it will only trigger cravings and the feeling that you need to eat more. I also find that eating enough protein and healthy fats in my meals will generally negate most snacking cravings that I have, though everyone is different. Sometimes, just drinking water solves a craving - the body tends to give the same signals for thirst as it does for hunger.

I think you should start with re-evaluating your macros to make sure you aren't setting yourself up for a struggle, then maybe find a few friends who eat the way you intend to (be that IIFYM, Keto, Clean Eating, etc etc) and check out what they use to ease the snack monster. Good luck to you :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    If that's you in the picture, you don't look like you have much weight to lose (if any). Eating too few calories can cause all kinds of issues, especially for people who are already thin. One of these issues is increased "food seeking", or craving. Try to set your loss to half a pound and eat the calories it tells you to eat. You will either notice a decreased desire to snack or you will have more calories to plan snacks.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited May 2018
    Boredom eating is my biggest issue too.Along with fidget eating. I'm not actually hungry, I just literally cannot stop moving for more tjan a few seconds, so eating keeps hands and mouth occupied for a while. (Rather than tapping, grabbing, and probably destroying any random objects that feel good to touch.) I usually try to fight it with non food activities, that keep my hands and brain busy. Trying to draw (I really suck at it), cross stitching, or playing stupid phone games while doing things that usually caused me to eat, like watching tv. Unfortunatly it's still really hard to do most of those things while reading, so I tend to stick air popped popcorn if I really need something. I tried sugarfree gum for a while, but found that for me, it increased my need to want to keep shoving things in my face, even when I wasn't actually hungry, so I had to stop. Plus people really get grossed out when you fidget with your gum.

Basically, anything to keep hands, mouth and brain occupied when you have nothing better to do is good. Hobbies, cleaning and projects are great ways to relieve boredom eating without reaching for a snack.
  • Katttie89
    If that's you in the picture, you don't look like you have much weight to lose (if any). Eating too few calories can cause all kinds of issues, especially for people who are already thin. One of these issues is increased "food seeking", or craving. Try to set your loss to half a pound and eat the calories it tells you to eat. You will either notice a decreased desire to snack or you will have more calories to plan snacks.

That pic was me a year ago. I keep it as that's my goal, so every time I log on It gives me that push to keep on. Definitely think I'll re think my goal, see if that Helps. Thank you
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Maybe try drinking water in place of snacking. If you are still hungry after the water, maybe try some raw veggies like bell pepper or carrots.
  • Katttie89
    edited May 2018
    Momepro wrote: »
    Boredom eating is my biggest issue too.Along with fidget eating. I'm not actually hungry, I just literally cannot stop moving for more tjan a few seconds, so eating keeps hands and mouth occupied for a while. (Rather than tapping, grabbing, and probably destroying any random objects that feel good to touch.) I usually try to fight it with non food activities, that keep my hands and brain busy. Trying to draw (I really suck at it), cross stitching, or playing stupid phone games while doing things that usually caused me to eat, like watching tv. Unfortunatly it's still really hard to do most of those things while reading, so I tend to stick air popped popcorn if I really need something. I tried sugarfree gum for a while, but found that for me, it increased my need to want to keep shoving things in my face, even when I wasn't actually hungry, so I had to stop. Plus people really get grossed out when you fidget with your gum.

Basically, anything to keep hands, mouth and brain occupied when you have nothing better to do is good. Hobbies, cleaning and projects are great ways to relieve boredom eating without reaching for a snack.

Alot of the time it's the same thing for me I'm not actually hungry yet still snack! I've also tried gum but that definitely makes me crave more, as stupid as it sounds I'm kinda like a cow I seem to graze more than I do eat properly. I've got a lot better with proper meals since using mfp. Just really struggling cutting out the snacks especially the sweet stuff and picking while at work.
  • JMed29
    JMed29 Posts: 94 Member
    Veggies for a snack. Like carrots
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    I plan lots of snacks throughout the day, everything from apples and nuts, to Doritos and cookies. All in moderation, all within my calorie range. Totally doable.
  • fitnesskr
    fitnesskr Posts: 6 Member
    I do a combination of the above suggestions - I am an inveterate snacker and it was/is my biggest obstacle. I pre-log my whole day to ensure I have enough protein and fat and will more than likely not need a snack. If I am actually hungry-hungry, I go for high protein snacks such as a hard boiled egg with mustard, string cheese, a couple pieces of lunch meat, or edamame with sea salt (Pict'Sweet has steamable bags in the frozen section that I love).
    If I'm wanting to snack for something to do, I either start a project that uses both hands (knitting, crochet, etc.) or have a cup of green or herbal tea - think Celestial Seasonings. The hot tea will usually satisfy my craving for something other than a glass of water.

If none of that works I brush my teeth and go read in bed!

Good luck!
  • amzelda0418
    amzelda0418 Posts: 12 Member
    I am very snacky especially if I’m bored! Honestly the best thing that got me over the hump is the supplements I take that boost my energy and curb my appetite, all natural. It’s helped me focus on really being hungry and eating the right amount of calories.