How To Stay Active In A Call Center/ Office Enviroment?

Options
I currently work in call center that is very strict about getting up from your desk outside of your approved break times. In about 4 months, I will be switching to an extremely physical job where I will be on my feet and walking for 10-12 hours a day. I need to learn how to be more active in the day and I know sitting for long periods at a time is terrible for my health and weight.

I want to do 2 things here:

1) Find excercises/ways to get active/moving or excercise into my day. I do the typical things like park far away (I walk 3 blocks to my building), taking the long way to the break room etc but I still find myself having to be seated for 2-3 hours at a time. I'd love to know of somethings I can do at my desk, or stealthy ways to get some movement in through my day.

2) Speak to my HR department/supervisor about it. Although, Im not sure I should or if it would do any good. I haven't seen a doctor yet about my weight, though I have an appointment scheduled and plan on getting a dietician or weight loss coach. I'm not sure what I will be asking for yet, Im thinking a more leniant break schedule, or breaking my scheduled bathroom time up to allow for walking every once in a while. Any tips for broaching this subject with my employer? Has anyone had success with something similar in the past?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I really think it's possible to sit for long periods at work and still be active in your off time. A lot of people who do gym workouts, lift, run, hike, swim, and/or walk many miles per week for exercise, spend equally as many leisure hours sitting on their bum whether watching TV, messing around online, or whatever...whether they sit at work or not. No one works out for 10 hours per day.

When you switch jobs you will want to be in good shape for being on your feet and walking all day...and I believe you probably can get there, even with being seated and inactive during your shifts at the call center position. Just get in a good routine of daily activity when you are off the clock. Honestly I doubt it will do much good to talk to HR/management...the nature of your position is seated office work, so I'm not sure how they could really change that and it doesn't sound like you're covered by ADA for disability related accommodation or anything so drastic...

I include myself in the office/sedentary thing too - and I am pretty active and maintaining a major loss (over 100 lb and over 4 years of maintenance). I walk and hike a lot, several days per week and every weekend, but at work I sit for almost my entire 8 hour shift, Monday through Friday. Granted, it's more of a traditional office and I'm not responsible for answering/making such frequent phone calls - so I'm not quite as chained to my work space. But there are several times every day that I don't get up even hourly, just due to being absorbed in whatever I am doing.

Just make it a big point to find activity at night, in the morning, or both, and it shouldn't affect your progress or success. If you do that I have a feeling you will be very prepared for your new position when the time comes.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Full time designer for 25+ years, I recommend powerlifting.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Since you are about to leave that job anyway, I'd forget about talking to the boss and try to be more active outside of work for now. I go to the gym and lift in the morning before work. I walk during my break. I keep myself active at home in the evenings.
    Since this call center is just temporary I wouldn't push it too hard about getting extra break times to be active. There's plenty of people who work desk job or office jobs that require them to stay seated all day. We get through it by finding ways outside of work to be active and making our break minutes count too.
    There's light at the end of the tunnel for you because you're only there for a short time more.
  • TigerLily100
    TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job and still manage to get 90-100k steps in a week. I walk to dogs, take a brisk 30 min daily walk at lunch time and I go to the gym after work 3 times per week. I am also active around the house, and active on a Saturday doing all sorts of stuff.
    It’s all about avoiding the couch as much as possible. 15k steps a day really isn’t that much activity when you break it down into smaller segments.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Some people like the desk-cycles. Must you remain seated or can you stand up next to your desk and do some squats and push ups and stretches ?
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have to be stealthy too, as I sit at a desk in our lobby and can be seen by anyone passing by. There isn't much you can do truly stealthy, but I get by doing the following throughout the day:

-Toe taps: Sit up straight with your feet under the desk. Keep your heels flat on the ground and lift your toes up off the ground one foot at a time (not both feet together). See how long you can keep it going before your legs get tired.

-Clench your muscles: Sit up straight and tighten your midsection (abs). Not sucking in stomach, just try to tighten your ribcage/bellybutton area while breathing normal. See how long you can hold this.

-Watch posture: if you don't have a strong core it can be a strengthening exercise just to sit straight, shoulders back, chest out, head straight.

Away from my desk, I find time to sneak a few squats/standing crunches, arm stretches. Usually I can get to the lunchroom when no one is in there and do these while my food heats up. If someone is in there you can act like you are stretching your back while actually doing standing side crunches...

As far as working out outside of work, start small and build up your energy levels. I get up a little earlier in the morning to perform a 30 min workout before breakfast. I notice a huge difference when I workout in the morning vs. not working out, I'm much more awake and mentally ready to take on the day! And I am NOT a morning person at all, it still helps once you get a routine.

I hope this helps =)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I go to the gym BEFORE work...it helps. AND hr never seems to give a damn that they are killing us w all this sitting., sorry to say. if they cared than the push to change all desks to sit.stand desks would be in the works and trending, ITS NOT...they don't care. a doctors note to hr can get your company to spring for a sit.stand desk.
  • Cheery83
    Cheery83 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    I have to be stealthy too, as I sit at a desk in our lobby and can be seen by anyone passing by. There isn't much you can do truly stealthy, but I get by doing the following throughout the day:

-Toe taps: Sit up straight with your feet under the desk. Keep your heels flat on the ground and lift your toes up off the ground one foot at a time (not both feet together). See how long you can keep it going before your legs get tired.

-Clench your muscles: Sit up straight and tighten your midsection (abs). Not sucking in stomach, just try to tighten your ribcage/bellybutton area while breathing normal. See how long you can hold this.

-Watch posture: if you don't have a strong core it can be a strengthening exercise just to sit straight, shoulders back, chest out, head straight.

Away from my desk, I find time to sneak a few squats/standing crunches, arm stretches. Usually I can get to the lunchroom when no one is in there and do these while my food heats up. If someone is in there you can act like you are stretching your back while actually doing standing side crunches...

As far as working out outside of work, start small and build up your energy levels. I get up a little earlier in the morning to perform a 30 min workout before breakfast. I notice a huge difference when I workout in the morning vs. not working out, I'm much more awake and mentally ready to take on the day! And I am NOT a morning person at all, it still helps once you get a routine.

I hope this helps =)

I just want to upvote this twice. Me i really need to work on my shoulders back. I work in a kitchen so I am standing but my shoulders really need to be behind me and they are always in front of me. Causing tendonitis. I am so glad you pointed out the importance of just beeing the right posture.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Can you also maybe put a ball on your chair to sit on? Like a basketball with a cushion over it, just for some instability? Flex and point toes, you can also look up plenty of stretches for strengthening ankles, calves and plantars while sitting.
    What about squats, pushups, stretches, jumping jacks, whatever in front of the tv when you get home?
  • Jaynewanders
    Jaynewanders Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »

I hope this helps =)

This helps so much! Thank you. :) I do try to be active outside of work as much as possible, I walk short distances every day (1-1.5 miles) after work and I hike every other weekend. I have to say I definitely find myself getting into the desk jockey position way to often during the day, my jobs chairs are trash. I've been telling myself every day this week I would just wake up at 7:30 and exercise. I'm gonna try it this weekend before my errands.

The tips at work were exactly what I've been looking for. I would love to be able to just stand up and start doing push ups or crunches while waiting for a call but I'm sure my manager would have something to say. Doing the toe taps as I type this out!
  • Jaynewanders
    Jaynewanders Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I go to the gym BEFORE work...it helps. AND hr never seems to give a damn that they are killing us w all this sitting., sorry to say. if they cared than the push to change all desks to sit.stand desks would be in the works and trending, ITS NOT...they don't care. a doctors note to hr can get your company to spring for a sit.stand desk.

I plan on talking to my doctor about this being a possibility. I've even thought about springing for it myself to see if it would sway them, I can always take it home and use it for my PC after I leave this job.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Be active outside of work.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Glad I could help =) Nothing I mentioned will burn that many calories (unless you manage to do it all day), but it helps you fidget and keeps you awake while you deal with work. I kinda hate that I have to sit during my most awake hours, so i'm constantly looking for a way that I can move at work without being obvious.

One strengthening exercise I forgot to mention:

-Raise both legs together as high and straight as you can under your desk. Toes pointed out (towards wall/back desk panel) will raise endurance over time. Toes pointed at ceiling will stretch muscles in back of leg. hold until you have to put them back down, or alternate between toe direction.

Again, won't burn much but will help strengthen while you are stuck at a desk, and depends on how long your legs are. I'm a petite woman so I have room to do this one...

• victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions. Squats can be subtle at your desk. Plant your feet shoulder width apart and raise yourself off your chair a few inches but keep your back and shoulders straight. Once you get the technique you can squat and type or squat and answer calls without leaving your desk. How far away do you work? Could you bike there? I started biking 5 miles to work once a week or so and it really helped me get in better shape. Just bring a bag with a change of clothes, hair brush, and lotion/perfume and you are good to be office ready.