travelling to the US

Options
I'm heading to the US for 5 weeks at the end of the month. I have to admit I am slightly concerned about undoing all that I have achieved this year with a very busy travel schedule. Trying to avoid 'travel food' which is convenient, over priced and unhealthy, will be difficult with so much time in airports and on the road. In the past, frequent stops at the fast food outlets (of which there are SO many!) was not even a concern. Breakfast, lunch and dinner was spent indulging in the worst of what was on offer. Every fuel stop would also involve a rather large calorie bomb coffee, you know, those instant ones that taste so good but are nothing but sugar.

So, what is your advice when frequenting the airports and when on the road? What are the best alternative options, or perhaps healthier choice options that I have overlooked in the past?

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the USA

Subway and Cosi have some sandwiches that are reasonably healthy and readily available. Cosi is especially delicious. Subway is all over the place so there is always one around.
    Believe it or not a plain McDonalds or Burger King hamburger is not that bad. It get bad when you add fries, bacon,mayo, etc....
    There are also generic Greek diners all over the place. You can usually get a can of tuna, half a melon or something like that.

Enjoy
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well, travel is tough! Fast food is everywhere, and obviously easy. And it's hard to choose a salad when what you really want is a burger. Ask for nutrition info before you order, and make choices based on your best options. You can always order a grilled chicken sadwhich with mustard, instead of the mounds of mayomaise they toss on it, and order salads with a light dressing.

Not that it's ideal food, but as long as you watch calories and stay under your goals, you'll be fine.
  • theresamommyof4
    Options
    Welcome to the USA

Subway and Cosi have some sandwiches that are reasonably healthy and readily available. Cosi is especially delicious. Subway is all over the place so there is always one around.
    Believe it or not a plain McDonalds or Burger King hamburger is not that bad. It get bad when you add fries, bacon,mayo, etc....
    There are also generic Greek diners all over the place. You can usually get a can of tuna, half a melon or something like that.

Enjoy

Subway is good. I wish they had a whole wheat bread, but you can pile on as many veggies as you want. You can find those in any town.
  • caitlin70433
    Options
    You can use grocery stores as your fast food. Many have salad bars and you can get yogurts and fruit, etc. Also, Subway, Wendy's, Chick Fil-a, etc. all have their nutritional information on their websites, so you'll know what is okay.
  • caitlin70433
    Options
    You can use grocery stores as your fast food. Many have salad bars and you can get yogurts and fruit, etc. Also, Subway, Wendy's, Chick Fil-a, etc. all have their nutritional information on their websites, so you'll know what is okay.
  • knottsav
    knottsav Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your great suggestions. I have begun to look up the nutrition info and may save it as PDF to my phone for reference sake. Subway is a good idea...and thanks for the heads up on the mayo...so it's ok to ask for things not to have the mayo / and or sauces when ordering? (I have been to places over here where they get a little 'testy' about 'custom' orders)

KFC & McD's here are now offering grilled options....but TBH the calories are still much higher than I would like, possibly the condiments.

I must say, I am hanging out for Dr Pepper though....although, I'll look for the diet option this time round :)

Appreciate your help folks
    :)
  • knottsav
    Options
    I think I may try and look for an 'instant' (don't shoot me yet) porridge mix....I think you guys would say oatmeal. When I am staying with folk, assuming I don't cause offence, I'd like to not give up my porridge for breakfast, as it sustains me for the morning and is low cal. That said, some of the microwave 'instant' ones here are full of sugar etc. but there are some which retain a good level of nutrition.

Any recommendations on brands I could look for? From memory Quaker, is a brand in the US that makes oatmeal (porridge/rolled oats)
  • ShazMc73
    ShazMc73 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am not in the US but my pantry says otherwise... LOL...

Kashi Go Lean instant hot cereals are good. They are lower in sugar that Quaker and yummy too. Plug it into the food thingy here and you can take a look at the variety and nutritional values.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Where are you going to be?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Quaker is good if you find the reduced or non-sugared varieties. I have recently found a brand called Oat Revolution. Their classic (with flax) has zero sugar carbs.

Subway is a great option almost anywhere you go. You can get a salad made instead of having your fixings put on bread. Don't opt for the flat bread unless you like it; it's actually more calories than the wheat or Italian. Panda Express can be a good choice. The mushroom chicken and broccoli beef are good choices with the mixed veggies as a side.

My best suggestion is to use the MPF app on your phone, if you can, as often as possible. Almost every restaurant that has their nutrition info available online is listed in MFP. Planning ahead by scanning the websites for the best options before you even head over here is also a great idea.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you ...look for places like Zoes Kitchen, Jersey Mikes..Jimmy Johns..produce department in grocery stores..power bars can be found anywhere. GNC stores for supplements.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your great suggestions. I have begun to look up the nutrition info and may save it as PDF to my phone for reference sake. Subway is a good idea...and thanks for the heads up on the mayo...so it's ok to ask for things not to have the mayo / and or sauces when ordering? (I have been to places over here where they get a little 'testy' about 'custom' orders)

Subway is a 'build your own' sort of place (you pick what you want and they put it together) they shouldn't give you any guff about special orders. If you like sandwiches, though, I prefer Jimmy John's or Erberts and Gerberts, but what you find will depend on where you are in the country.

I would suggest groceries as well. Buying some food to bring with in the car and into the hotel limits buying unhealthy food because you're starving and cannot wait. On long trips I tend to buy my food at my destination and eat at the hotel, or look in the phone book for a place that sounds healthy. Nowadays almost everywhere has a menu online, so I look them up before I go. Buy a mini-cooler for in the car (the hotel ought to have a mini-fridge) and bring what you'd like. Oatmeal (porridge) is a good warm breakfast idea. Visit a local grocery and find the cereal aisle, buy the generic whatever flavour(s) you want. They're honestly all the same, but if you're concerned, read the labels.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I can't make any good suggestions without knowing which part of the country you are going to be in. In the US there are TONS of small regional places that may be good choices, but I don't want to suggest things that don't exist in the area you will be in. :laugh:

Subway is always a good choice, just watch the sodium levels, any deli meats can quickly cause sodium to get out of hand.
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Have fun here!!!

Yes, Quaker Oats has quick Oatmeal, but there is also alot of other brands.

If you are staying with friends, I'm sure they wouldn't mind taking you shopping... fruit and fat free dannon yogurt with granola or nuts on the top...

Many restaurants on the West Coast has healthier options with calories on the menu!

Have fun!!!!

L
  • knottsav
    Options
    You guys are fabulous!
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll be passing through San Francisco a couple of times, but really spending time in MT, TN, AR, OK, TX.

It looks like making sure I check things out online is a common suggestion. The other thing I have to keep reminding myself, while we have snow here, it is going to be really hot (by my standards - possibly yours too!) when I get there next week. Salads will certainly appeal! Porridge for breakfast might not be as appealing given I will be in your summer rather than my winter. Lots of water will also be a good thing.

I plan on bringing a few healthy cereal bars with me (mostly for travel days), but they wont see my whole journey through, and some variety is always good. Avoiding the pitfalls is high on my priorities...such as your suggestions regarding sodium levels, high cal condiments and breads etc.

Hopefully friends I am staying with will see the "new me" and realise they have already introduced me to the "good" food ya'll have in the US on my previous trips....maybe less likely to take me to the not so healthy places! Oh...and portion sizes are something I'll need to be aware of...I'll need to overcome the childhood habit of eating all that is on the plate, except I hate to be seen as a rude or ungrateful guest.

thanks again for your input. What a great community.
    :o)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes can be a bit out of control here. If you eat at a sit down restaurant, and the portion is really large, immediately ask for a take home box and put half of the food in it. You'll have another meal and you won't be tempted to eat it all.

It is hot here right now, especially in the southern states like Texas and Arkansas (and Arizona, where I am!). While I still eat oatmeal for breakfast occasionally, I have a tendency to leave that for the winter months. :laugh:
  • BerkleyEL
    BerkleyEL Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the portion sizes here being WAY out of control... I've developed the habit of asking for a box and boxing half of my entree up before I dig in.
  • Katz721
    Katz721 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Subway, and places like it, are great. DO NOT feel bad about asking for no mayo or whatever you want. Your health is more important than upsetting a few Americans. Plus, Americans are used to other picky Americans. lol Places like McDonalds, Wendy's and Arby's (the list goes on and on) offer great salads. Just make sure to get the chicken grilled and watch out for calorie packed dressings.
  • jpatrickwinstead
    Options
    I'd do a couple things:

--Buy one of those insulated lunchboxes. Get a soft one so you can cram it in your luggage for the plane. Once you get off the plane, find a grocery store and stock up. The biggest natural foods grocery chain here is Whole Foods, but if you google "natural grocery" or something for the area you're in, you should be able to find something.

--When you're on the road, google "vegetarian restaurant" for the area you're in. That's probably your easiest option for finding a place that serves healthy stuff.

--In general try to stay away from chain restaurants. Try to find locally owned places.

You'll have no trouble eating well in San Francisco, but those other states are going to be tough.
  • theresamommyof4
    Options
    I live in Texas and I have oatmeal for breakfast EVERY morning :) I tried eggs yesterday, and I was starving to death 2 hours later, so I won't be going that route again! I just buy regular Old Fashioned Quaker Oats... not quick cook or instant. All you have to do is add a half cup of oats to a bowl, stir in a cup of water and microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. You can add peanut butter or fruit after it's cooked, or add raisins or other dried fruit before you cook. Instant is good too, but if you're at a house that doesn't have instant, you can substitute :)