The 'I'll start again tomorrow' mentality

imtriagain
imtriagain Posts: 104 Member
How to break out of the above mentality.
I know what to do.
I've done it before.
I have a plan that doesn't restrict the foods l like, and puts me in a slight (not big) deficit.

But before long I find myself easily side tracked and saying 'i'll start tomorrow'. So I blow it completely and eat waaaay over my calories. And of course the cycle repeats.

Looking for tips, stories, inspiration, motivation etc from people who've been where I a currently am, and how you've gotten out of this mentality.

Replies

• txmaryk99
    txmaryk99 Posts: 120 Member
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    I gave myself a non-food reward each week for not skipping my improvement tasks. It literally looked like a kid's chore chart, just with exercise and food notes (plus some other healthy habits I needed to adopt to be a functioning adult). If I did the item, I got a check mark, if I did not do it than I had a blank space.

If I had 1 or fewer blank spots - i gave myself $10 fun money for the week
    If I had less 2-5 blank spots (list was for the week, had about 5 daily items and 3 weekly ones), I gave myself $5 fun money.
    If I had more than 5 blank spots for the week, I got no fun money.

This fun money was the only amount I allowed myself to spend on games (my personal hobby), so I had to meet my goals if I wanted to be able to buy my entertainment. Helped me keep on track (man i don't want to do this today, but do I really want to use my free kip on this? ) AND bonus perk I saved money by cutting my game spending habit down A LOT.

Doesn't have to be games for you, could be any entertainment that is non-essential to daily life. So new books, movie night, etc.

I did something very similar to this a few years ago but for the time I had more than X blank spots not only did I not get my fun money I had to pay the "oh no" jar and the only way to earn that money back was to have a no blank space week. If not the money was transferred to the charity jar and never to be mine again.

Off to find the grandkids chore chart. Thanks for jogging my memory. I think I will make a jar for fun money for our September vacation.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    1bwdp020cfco.jpeg

It takes planning & commitment. Try planning out macros/kcals in advance, think about what portions/pre packed foods you can use to achieve your goals & stick to it for at least 2 weeks to assess how successful or unsucceful you have been (then back to the drawing board). Whenever I feel slightly out of shape, I take some time to jot out some numbers on a scrap piece of paper, re-examine or look up food labels, & come up with a plan.

I like the "just do it" mindset as well as "results, not excuses"
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    I saw a poster on here, that is now my desktop screen saver and I have a poster tapped to my wall at home: "discipline is doing what needs to be done, even if you don't want to do it".
    It's much harder on my syki to say I lack discipline if I don't stay on track, instead of lacking willpower.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited May 2018
    I saw a poster on here, that is now my desktop screen saver and I have a poster tapped to my wall at home: "discipline is doing what needs to be done, even if you don't want to do it".
    It's much harder on my syki to say I lack discipline if I don't stay on track, instead of lacking willpower.

Are you referring to your psyche perhaps?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    imtriagain wrote: »
    How to break out of the above mentality.
    I know what to do.
    I've done it before.
    I have a plan that doesn't restrict the foods l like, and puts me in a slight (not big) deficit.

But before long I find myself easily side tracked and saying 'i'll start tomorrow'. So I blow it completely and eat waaaay over my calories. And of course the cycle repeats.

Looking for tips, stories, inspiration, motivation etc from people who've been where I a currently am, and how you've gotten out of this mentality.

I like to look at things from this perspective - "tomorrow isn't promised to anyone!" Not being morbid, just being real.

Or, another way - "Right here, Right now!".
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Ah, that's a tricky one!

There can be endorphines released at the very moment you say -I'll start this new, great program! Just thinking about it, and you feel a rush of excitement imagine all the great things that are to come. And it's easy to stay like that, planning, talking about it, without ever getting actually started. Because it's too demanding, too time consuming, or just not that realistic.

To avoid staying the person who passively says -I'll do... it's all about becoming the person who does it, or rather does a fragment of it, in that very moment you say it.

Think of something small you can do in that very instant it comes to your mind. If its about exercising, do two air squats. If its about getting your water intake right, have a glass in that very moment. If it's logging consistenly, log right now the meal you just had or are about to have. If its getting off sugars, ditch that candy bar in your drawer right now.

Once you have done a real action, however small, in direction of your larger goal, you are already on the go. From there on, think of a next possible step, just a little one but within the next couple of hours. And before you go to bed.

Don't waste your time making big, detailed plans, if your problem isn't a lack of a plan. Such a big plan can just put pressure on you, to start out with everything 'right'. Instead, start right now. In this very minute, even with the smallest thing. then take it from there on. Once you're on the move, the rest will follow

Best of luck, keep us posted
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I think you need to determine the source of being "side tracked". One thing I have learned about myself is that my cravings are not always for a specific food so just adding in the things I like to eat doesn't solve everything. I also crave variety. If I get into too much of a food rut even with things I like it is going to bite me. I work in the occasional theme week to push myself to eat food that I don't normally cook. I have a couple of more but hopefully you see where this is going.

My wife, who is also dieting, came home from a week of travelling last week and was in a bit of a funk because she was counting calories while everyone else was eating all this food. She doesn't normally feel deprived and she worked in a few things but just seeing everyone freely eating for 2 meals a day for a week got to her a bit. She took a maintenance day to have a break.

One thing I also do is bank my calories so each weekend I can have one big meal. It gives me something to look forward to all week.

I think before worrying about how to get back on your diet tomorrow you need to adjust your plan to compensate for why you want to end it the first place. What are you really missing or what are you tired of when you want to stop? If there really isn't a pattern you need to rely on the previous posts but I would bet something is wrong that might have an acceptable compromise.

• Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    I also found just slowly adding things in this time around worked out for me. In the past I would start a "Count the calories! Do the exercise! Plan the meals! All the things!" regime. I would miss a day (because, life) and say "eh screw it" and never pick it pack up. Adding one thing at a time and adding others when the first thing becomes habit is really helpful. This year just started off vowing to try one new and healthy recipe every week. My goal was simply to add some less calorific meals to my repertoire. One thing led to another and I was counting my calories again. Then after about a month I added the exercise. Doing it in small chunks instead of starting everything all at once has been important to my current success thus far.