How do you handle?

Options
Hey everyone.
Just needed to vent today and i know this would be the right place to do so.

Lately since i have been on my journey, i haven't really shared my success with coworkers unless I've been asked.

But some people are just straight idiots.
They don't understand i am making a life change, not on a fad diet just to lose 5 to 10 lbs.

I got coworkers thinking that they all of a sudden are "nutritionists" because they are on a bland diet and want to throw their two cents in everything i am eating.

Yet they don't know the hours I've spent at the gym on the weekly and sweat my butt off, they don't see that i count calories, they don't know my NSV's.
I choose not to share it with them because of the same reason.
Sooooo if i want to eat pasta ,it's because i took my time to portion it out, who cares if it doesn't look healthy but it has been working for me.

Anyways, i feel like lately my weightloss has been under a microscope and it can be a bit annoying and frustrating to deal with the dummies that think they know it all but have nothing to show for it.

If anyone has any advice on how to deal with these people, that would be great. I know there's not a perfect answer but maybe just how you have handled it if you've been in a situation as this.

Thanks and thanks for allowing me to vent!

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,797 Member
    Options
    I think this is something everyone has to deal with, whether it's from co-workers or well meaning family and friends.

I just respond with, "I'm doing what works for me", and won't entertain a longer discussion if they are trying to put my methods down. I politely tell them, I'm glad what they are doing is working for them and change the subject if they try to continue.

If it is someone that I genuinely know is losing weight and may have some tips for me I do listen though. Be strong and shrug off the negative.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stop talking about your weight loss at work.
  • KMom0501
    KMom0501 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I find myself letting it roll off, but if I have to say something it's usually to the tune of "yeah, I've really been craving pasta. I worked all week to fit it into my macros so I could have it. It's all about trade offs!" and let it go. It communicates that your choices are YOUR choices and are carefully calculated by you. That and most people DO NOT want to go down the macronutrient rabbit hole.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Don't bring it up. If they talk about it change the subject.
    If they ask about your weight loss just say you are doing fine.

Or be prepared and every time someone says something about your weight loss or diet you could cheerfully tell them in detail about health, your calorie goal, logging, show your logs, show your weight loss trend, talk about weighing food and portion sizes, talk about protein, bring up articles and journals, print out articles to hand them, ask about their diet, calculate a calorie goal for them, give advice they did not ask for, ask them if they'd like to join a challenge with you... be the most boring obnoxious weight loss person ever. Doubt they'll ever ask you about your lunch again. They may never make eye contact with you again.
  • Leah_Achieving_Goals_2018
    Options
    I think this is something everyone has to deal with, whether it's from co-workers or well meaning family and friends.

I just respond with, "I'm doing what works for me", and won't entertain a longer discussion if they are trying to put my methods down. I politely tell them, I'm glad what they are doing is working for them and change the subject if they try to continue.

If it is someone that I genuinely know is losing weight and may have some tips for me I do listen though. Be strong and shrug off the negative.

Thanks
    Options
    swhiteism wrote: »
    Going through the same thing. Just yesterday I was eating shredded chicken, half a chopped avocado, and some salsa over 1/2 cup of rice and my coworker said “are you eating a burrito bowl? I thought you were on a diet”. I just laughed and said “This is 250 calories, did you want the recipe?”.

I have another one constantly telling me that cutting calories everyday will not make me lose weight and that I need to eat at maintenance every other day otherwise I’m wasting my time. I just say “whatever I’m doing is working for me apparently, so I think I’ll continue that. Thanks”.

I also work at a place that just loves to order pizza or bring in catering or leftover cakes someone’s spouse makes or whatever and I actually have people getting annoyed with me for not wanting to eat it? Making shady comments like “you can’t even have a piece of cake? sheesh!”. I eat ice cream and chocolate every other day forgive me for not wanting to waste my calories on a crusty *kitten* cake I didn’t even freaking want in the first place.

In my opinion people who criticize your food choices, or portions, or you choosing to refrain from certain things are jealous they don’t have the same motivation or benefiting in some way from you being overweight for their self esteem’s sake and don’t wanna see you succeed.

And I’m honestly not sure why everyone becomes a nutritionist when they find out you’re trying to lose weight. It’s the same as being pregnant. Everyone becomes an OBGYN. It’s annoying! Just smile, ignore, and keep it moving.

Thanks for this. I see you totally relate.
    Options
    Stop talking about your weight loss at work.

I mentioned this on my post, only mention it if asked. But thanks for the advice.
    Options
    I don’t know why some people can’t respect the privacy of others.

Totally agree!
    Options
    If they start to give you their opinion on what you should be doing/eating, I'd say something like, "thanks, but what I'm doing is working for me," and if they pushed I'd say, "I'm sorry, but I don't want to talk about this."

It can be hard with coworkers to find a balance between being direct with what you want but also not stepping on too many toes since you're stuck seeing them all the time.

Yes exactly!! I will start doing this
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you eat your normal food, your dieting endeavours should be invisible to others, so I wonder how what you eat even becomes a topic. Are they only talking about their own diets, or do they suggest that you should be losing weight, too, and that bland food is the only way to go? I feel that Myth or not a myth? is a mirror thread to this one, I can't explain, but maybe you'll get something out of it?
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing. Believe me, you'll be successful in the long run if you stick with this. Soon you'll be able to do what I do. I say"I let my results speak for themselves!" Meaning- when you look like me then you can start giving me advice, practice what you preach and you'll be better off!
    They stop really quick then.
    Keep up the good work and soon your hard work will speak for itself.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Obey the boss of you. Once you understand who that is, everything in your life will be ok with you.

How do co-workers even notice a 5-10 lb weight loss? (That's rhetorical, no need to answer.)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    i'd tell them the truth. "I don't like talking about my diet...I find it boring when other people do that... what a person eats is their business..right?' i don't want to be "that guy!' and smile.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am allowed pasta on the noneya diet.
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    ...Or be prepared and every time someone says something about your weight loss or diet you could cheerfully tell them in detail about health, your calorie goal, logging, show your logs, show your weight loss trend, talk about weighing food and portion sizes, talk about protein, bring up articles and journals, print out articles to hand them, ask about their diet, calculate a calorie goal for them, give advice they did not ask for, ask them if they'd like to join a challenge with you... be the most boring obnoxious weight loss person ever. Doubt they'll ever ask you about your lunch again. They may never make eye contact with you again.

^ The snarky side of me loves that idea so much! :D Talk their ear off until they flee the room, then follow them down the hall talking about metabolic ward studies, the TEF of each individual macro, the enzymes involved in digestion, substrate utilization at rest and during exercise, the various roles of insulin in the body, the Krebs cycle, etc., etc. Hilarious, and you'd probably never have anybody say one word to you about your diet ever again.

This is so good!!! I may have to try it!!

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone.

Lately since i have been on my journey, i haven't really shared my success with coworkers unless I've been asked.

They don't understand i am making a life change, not on a fad diet just to lose 5 to 10 lbs.

I got coworkers thinking that they all of a sudden are "nutritionists" because they are on a bland diet and want to throw their two cents in everything i am eating.

Yet they don't know the hours I've spent at the gym on the weekly and sweat my butt off, they don't see that i count calories, they don't know my NSV's.
    Sooooo if i want to eat pasta ,it's because i took my time to portion it out, who cares if it doesn't look healthy but it has been working for me.

Anyways, i feel like lately my weightloss has been under a microscope and it can be a bit annoying and frustrating to deal with the dummies that think they know it all but have nothing to show for it.

If anyone has any advice on how to deal with these people, that would be great. I know there's not a perfect answer but maybe just how you have handled it if you've been in a situation as this.

@Leah_Achieving_Goals_2018

Sometimes I end up being extremely rude. I tell them how I'm doing it, CICO - that's it. I just track calories to stay in my budget. When people decide to argue about how thier Dr. Oz or other quack diet is so much better: I just say okay, and wait. One month, I will tell them how much I lost and ask them how they are doing. 99/100 - they haven't lost weight, usually a gain. My *kitten*y reply "guess
    insert fad diet---- doesn't actually work. I think I'll just stick to mine as it does.".

I just get so fed up with people that tell me how I'm doing everything wrong, yet I'm the one actually losing weight. It pisses me off, so yeah, I get pissed and get rude. I no longer care if I hurt their feelings, I really don't. Especially when they tell me that I'm lying, or how everything I'm doing is wrong, or my way is "stupid".
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

@Leah_Achieving_Goals_2018

Sometimes I end up being extremely rude. I tell them how I'm doing it, CICO - that's it. I just track calories to stay in my budget. When people decide to argue about how thier Dr. Oz or other quack diet is so much better: I just say okay, and wait. One month, I will tell them how much I lost and ask them how they are doing. 99/100 - they haven't lost weight, usually a gain. My *kitten*y reply "guess
    insert fad diet---- doesn't actually work. I think I'll just stick to mine as it does.".

I just get so fed up with people that tell me how I'm doing everything wrong, yet I'm the one actually losing weight. It pisses me off, so yeah, I get pissed and get rude. I no longer care if I hurt their feelings, I really don't. Especially when they tell me that I'm lying, or how everything I'm doing is wrong, or my way is "stupid".

I totally agree and don't see anything with that.
    People are very jealous and always want to bring others down. I think this is where it comes from.
    So being rude is totally cool because really people need to mind their business.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hopefully, I won't come across as a prat with what I'm saying but I sense a lot of frustration/anger from some posters in here towards people who offer unsolicited advice. Usually when I react in that way, something else is going on with me.For example, my reaction is rarely based on what they are actually saying to me but rather my interpretation of what they are saying to me. I find when I listen and respond to their actual words, my reactions are much more proportionate.

At the end of the day if what you are doing is working, then what is there to deal with when it comes to people offering their opinions? You can't stop them from offering opinions so just accept it. Don't interpret it as a criticism but listen to the actual words. If you don't like it, remember that its just an opinion or words; they only have as much impact on you as you let them