Question

Options
So I have joined a gym about a month ago I’m about 195 pounds 5’1 I had been walking on treadmill for about a hour but about 4 days ago I can only do about 20 minutes and my left calf hurts so bad what do I do now??

Replies

• amybethjack
    amybethjack Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    start slower if you aren't used to the exercise. You don't have to go full speed to start. If you make yourself sore you aren't going to want to keep going and you'll give up the exercise all together.

Also, check your shoes. When I started doing a lot of walking I went to a running store where they had me walk on a treadmill in front of a camera to get an idea of my gait and HOW I walk so they could fit me with the right shoe. That made a huge differnece. My previous shoes seemed fine but when I got the new ones I could tell the difference.
  • leticiaposada
    leticiaposada Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response I was thinking about the shoes. I have been wearing Nike roshe runs.. it’s just weird that at first I could do an hour but now only 20 minutes
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response I was thinking about the shoes. I have been wearing Nike roshe runs.. it’s just weird that at first I could do an hour but now only 20 minutes

If they are old and worn, then it could be the shoes. Most likely your body just isn't used to the exercise and is telling you to slow down. Try switching up your cardio to see if that helps.
  • stacybaker707
    stacybaker707 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Is it crampy? It could be potassium related and you may need more.
  • leticiaposada
    Options
    It’s like pulling pain idk what other cardio to do in the meantime I’m looking to lose weight and mostly stomach fat right now any suggestions
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Try going to the doctor or a physiotherapist. You may have injured one of your calf muscles. I did that going from nothing to actually exercising. Try researching your symptoms.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You have probably overdone it. Rest. Try some stretching.
    http://www.stretching-exercises-guide.com/calf-stretches.html
    https://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention/how-to-take-care-of-your-calves

When it no longer hurts start walking more gradually instead of an hour. And stretch when you are done exercising.
    You may need better shoes too or visit your doctor.

To lose weight I would rely more on reducing your calorie intake rather than exercise.
  • leticiaposada
    Options
    Thank you so much
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yup, what you eat has a bigger impact on weight loss but moving does give you a few extra calories a day. Meantime though try swimming or maybe biking. This would take some of the strain off.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    chances are like many of us, too much and too fast
    slowly build up the mileage
    go slow.
    get proper shoes
    take rest days
    stretch after
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options

Even if these shoes aren't old or worn out, wearing running shoes for walking an hour per day is not a good idea. Get shoes specific for walking if you can.

In the meantime, have you tried the elliptical or rower?

Also, do you have to stop now after 20 min. due to the pain or are you too tired? If you're running out of energy you may need to hydrate more or change around the times you eat in conjunction with the gym so that you have energy for a workout.
  • Gabbie361
    Gabbie361 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What I do is intervals so like I'll set myself a distance like okay I'ma do a mile and I'll run for one minute then walk for one minute run faster for another minuet and walk for two minuets and repeat that till I have my miles done. Sometimes I finish my mile in 12/13mins and I burn as many calories as if I were to walk 3mph for 30mins. Try sprinting for shorter times instead of long distance for longer times. Also chin splits are very common.i used to get them alot.
  • leticiaposada
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Even if these shoes aren't old or worn out, wearing running shoes for walking an hour per day is not a good idea. Get shoes specific for walking if you can.

Also, do you have to stop now after 20 min. due to the pain or are you too tired? If you're running out of energy you may need to hydrate more or change around the times you eat in conjunction with the gym so that you have energy for a workout.

• leticiaposada
    Options
    I stop from the pain i want to go longer but my leg won’t let me.
  • leticiaposada
    Options
    I usually go to the gym at 8:30 am I wake up at 7 am