Breaking A 4 Liter Per Day Diet Pepsi Habit That Spanned 30

Options
I was a Diet Pepsi addict-- literally.

I drank it around the clock. I would have one on my night stand. I would carry one into the shower. I would always keep one or two in my purse.

People in town would joke, "If you didn't have a Diet Pepsi in your hand I don't think I'd recognize you."

And I was fat.

Then I read that aspertame stimulates the taste buds and-- even though the soda has no calories-- it makes you hungrier and you eat more.

Ugh! Just my luck!

And I had just started my diet, so that was definitely going to work against me.

So, after drinking 4 liters per day for well over 30 years-- I quit cold turkey. I haven't had one in 2-1/2 months.

I have drank almost nothing but water.

I found that I missed the fizz, though, and bought some La Croix sparkling water. They have no calories, no sweeteners (artificial or otherwise), no sodium, no caffeine. Just sparkling water with a slight lemon taste.

And I liked them-- a lot. But they cost $3.99/12-pack. I decided that I could live without them at that price.

Then, as an experiment, I bought some store-brand seltzer water and poured in about an ounce of "Real Lemon"-- and it tasted exactly the same!

So now I buy 1 liter bottles of store brand seltzer for 59 cents each and drink one bottle per day in addition to all the water I drink-- and I find I don't even think about Diet Pepsi anymore.

And since I gave up the D.P. I find that I sleep better, I'm not nearly as hungry-- oh yeah-- and I lost 45 pound in 11 weeks!

There was a lot of diet and exercise that played into that, as well, but breaking my addiction to Diet Pepsi was a big important piece, for me.

I'm far from skinny-- I still have more to lose-- but guys have been giving me lots of attention over the past few weeks and I am plenty motivated to keep finding ways to eat and drink healthier-- and reach my ideal weight.

Food is fuel-- and I have been pee-ing in my gas tank for far too long.

No more, though. From now on it's nothing but premium grade fuel.

-Chelle

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am so PROUD for you - what a terrific story.....I hope many others will read it!

Congratulations on finding a sense of self-respect and integrity with who you are and how you treat your body!

Cheers!
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    WOW! What a story! I could never stand diet soda... so I have no idea how you did it.
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful!! With the kind of attitude and motivation you have I have no doubt you will reach your weight loss goal.
    You are an inspiration. Best of luck.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Wow, that was a lot of Pepsi! GREAT work on giving it up, I know how hard it is to give up soda, so I feel for you. Have you noticed a change in your skin as well? Usually drinking more water helps clear the skin, too. Keep up the awesome work, what an inspiration!
  • maygs
    maygs Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That is so great. You have done great by kicking the habbit. Your weight loss is great too! Congratulations for every single achievment and for changing your life for the better.
  • tyanna68
    tyanna68 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I too am a Pepsi addict. My husband and I would go through a 12 pack a day. I quit this passed week. Though I do admit a take a sip of my at least once a day. Yesterday I had a big streser and while most pick up a cigarette or alcohol, I had a pepsi!!!
    So my goal is to take NO SIPS. I wish I could just not have to keep it in the house but as my husband says, he's not the one that has to lose weight so why should he suffer. UGH!!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Wow that is an amazing story and way to go on breaking the diet pepsi habit!! For me, it was sweet tea and I still liked my occasional coca cola but when I started on here, I went cold turkey. Now I'm addicted to good ole H20. I think the more you drink it, the more you crave it. Love it with a lemon slice too. I've always heard that artifical sweetners actually do turn on the food and sugar cravings in our brains. Hats off to you girl! I'm sure you feel amazing now:)
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Very good! I never liked diet pop, but I was addicted to Coca Cola. I think pop is one of the most evil things on our planet! LOL
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's a great accomplishment! Did you get any withdrawal symptoms from quitting cold turkey?
  • JRRCLR
    JRRCLR Posts: 353
    Options
    Food is fuel-- and I have been pee-ing in my gas tank for far too long.

Love that line! :)
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just recently gave up pepsi max/coke zero
    Now it's too sweet for me! Water water water
  • chelsie5791
    chelsie5791 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That is really great. I drank a lot of non-diet soda, untill a friend brought it to my attention i was drinking 1200 extra calories a day. Then I started on this website.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I did some figuring with numbers after I had been doing mfp for about 3 months and I calculated that I saved myself over 70,000 calories from not drinking sweet tea. I was amazed. Heck no wonder I couldn't lose any weight lol.!!! I prefer now to eat my calories instead of drinking them up.
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's a great accomplishment! Did you get any withdrawal symptoms from quitting cold turkey?

I sure did. Awful headaches for about 5 days. After that, it was smooth sailing!
  • tigersmoondiva
    tigersmoondiva Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Grats! I think I used to drink about that much as well. We really went through it. We quit buying it about a month ago - and while I still miss it - I am doing a lot better than I thought I would.
  • TripMom
    TripMom Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yeah for you!!!! I was like you as well! I've been a big diet pepsi girl for the last 30 years. I've even trained my husband to open a diet pepsi for me as he wakes me up! I stopped three weeks ago, thanks to my friends on MFP. Hasn't been that hard, but did drink one diet soda one evening and then went through sugar cravingings for days! Hang in there. I've lost more since I've given it up! You are awesome!
    TripMom
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I gave up my Diet Coke addiction over two years ago and will NEVER go back. It took me a few months to not want it anymore, but now it's easy. All water and a little iced tea for me and that's it for liquids (ok, the occasional beer or cocktail, but very rare). My whole body feels better... even my skin looks better!!!

Good for you... it's not easy, but it's so worth it! Plus, it saves lots of money!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy you did that, congrats on your weight loss. wow 30 yrs that is a wtg!!!!!
  • charlenekco
    Options
    Congratulations!

I'm a Diet Coke addict. I've tried several times to quit, but always go back to it. Funny (?!), I'm having a lot of trouble with food cravings and dropping weight.

I just poured the rest of a 2-Liter bottle down the sink. May today be the first day of the rest of my life without Diet Coke.

Thanks for the inspiration :)