Walking an hour everyday to gym ok?

Options

Hey guys so I have no transportation and my only way to get to the gym is to walk my gym is about 40 minutes away so I walk to the gym and lift weights and then after I’m done I’ll walk back home which is an additional 40 minutes. My question is is that way too much exercise to be going to the gym to lift weights. Or is it perfectly fine to do so again like I said I have no vehicle so my only way is to walk there I’ll get up at 3 o’clock in the morning but I go to bed around 8 o’clock so I only get around seven hours of sleep and I do this five days a week. I would really appreciate your opinions and thanks everyone in advance.

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with walking if you feel ok doing it

This.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    If you are safe walking at that early hour, it shouldn't be a problem. I am not sure about weight training 5 days per week. Do you use any of the cardio machines at the gym ever. I retired last December, but I always liked to get to the gym that early too (between 3-3:30 am, hardly any competition for the equipment). I always took a 30 minute walk around town after I was done at the gym, before I started work. It worked for me, but I only did weight training 2 days per week.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    thats exactly what i do every morning lol i like to eat food so its a win
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    As long as you're safe and you don't feel hurt or anything then I don't see a prob
  • DannyGonzo21
    DannyGonzo21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've walked to and from the gym that long before. I would just make sure to account for the calories burned and pay attention to the road. The walks can count as a basic warm up and cool down.
  • LyssaRonnell
    LyssaRonnell Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You can think of your walk there as a warm up and walk home as a cool down. When I strength train I do a 2 mile job to warm up and walk 1 mile as a cool down.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Seems like a solid plan.

And no, nothing wrong with it.
  • JodynAmayah
    JodynAmayah Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much means a lot sorry I can’t reply to everyone of you individually. -hugs-
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    why don't you get a bike?
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    The bike idea is actually fabulous! You can usually find fairly cheap bikes either used or at places like Walmart.

I didn’t have a car for 25 years of my life and walked everywhere, including the gym, school, work, and the grocery store... all of which were more than 30 minutes each way! So you are totally safe to do that physically, as long as you have proper shoes and make sure to stretch, since your using so much of the same muscles.

That being said when I did get a bike things got so much more convenient (don’t even get me started on when I finally got a car lol). I really recommend saving up for a bike, it’s less impact on your body and soooo much faster.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    The bike idea is actually fabulous! You can usually find fairly cheap bikes either used or at places like Walmart.

I didn’t have a car for 25 years of my life and walked everywhere, including the gym, school, work, and the grocery store... all of which were more than 30 minutes each way! So you are totally safe to do that physically, as long as you have proper shoes and make sure to stretch, since your using so much of the same muscles.

That being said when I did get a bike things got so much more convenient (don’t even get me started on when I finally got a car lol). I really recommend saving up for a bike, it’s less impact on your body and soooo much faster.

Just remember that when you get an inexpensive bike to set aside about an extra 50% over the cost of the bike for maintenance/upgrades/repairs.

It's still wildly cheaper than a car, but there are very real costs that are both recurring and emergent.

You'll have the same costs with an expensive bike but $50-75 for service on a 700 or 1000 bike isn't as memorable as that same $50-75 on a $125 bike.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I used to do that, I was SO much thinner then! And once or twice a week, I went back at night. Ah, the good old days ......
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it's safe to walk there and you have the time and energy. Just make sure you don't exhaust yourself so much at the gym that you can't walk home.
  • CBD92
    CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hey guys so I have no transportation and my only way to get to the gym is to walk my gym is about 40 minutes away so I walk to the gym and lift weights and then after I’m done I’ll walk back home which is an additional 40 minutes. My question is is that way too much exercise to be going to the gym to lift weights. Or is it perfectly fine to do so again like I said I have no vehicle so my only way is to walk there I’ll get up at 3 o’clock in the morning but I go to bed around 8 o’clock so I only get around seven hours of sleep and I do this five days a week. I would really appreciate your opinions and thanks everyone in advance.

I am almost 27 years old and I have never had a licence. I walk mostly everywhere, including to the gym and back, which is about the same length as you from your gym. I also take my dog for multiple walks per day and a few days a week do a 10 k around the river. Our bodies are meant to move a lot and can adapt to quite a bit! So as long as you're not having any pain, then no, it is definitely not too much exercise. :)
  • Cheery83
    Cheery83 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Walking is good but time consumming . The risk over time is that you will loose will to excerzise because of the time it takes
  • d090882
    d090882 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Walking is the best exercise. 1 million years back your ancestors learnt to walk and this has led to our s-shaped spinal curve. If you continue walking the same way for rest of your life - you will be a very very advanced cognitive being. It's great for you!
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I think that’s great! You could work to build to jogging and cut your travel time in half or maybe find a cheap bike if you’d feel safe doing that. Keep it up!