Speeding up metabolism

Options
I have been gaining and losing the same 10-15 lbs for about 3 years. I've taken a few weeks off here and there, but I have done some form of exercise during that time period. This includes running 2-3 miles, workout DVDs like T25 and Jillian Michaels, Body Pump, spin, bike riding and long walks. I excercise 4-6 times a week. I do see some results, I have lost some inches. However, I feel like I have to restrict my calories so much for the scale to move. I'm concerned that years of doing this has slowed my metabolism greatly. In spite of the physical activity, I gain if I go over 1200 calories. I find it's difficult to stay consistent eating 1000-1200 cal, particularly with the amount of exercise.

So I know I need something that's sustainable for the long run. I want to eat more calories so that I have the energy to work out. I get that I might see some weight gain in the beginning, because of my slow metabolism. But I really would like to know any advice what I can do to turn things around. I also have PCOS, which may be a factor since women with PCOS often have to rely on larger calorie deficits. How do I break this cycle?

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your intake?

Are you eating any of your exercise calories back?

What is your height, weight, age and activity level not counting intentional exercise?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    By gaining if you eat above 1200 did you mean from one day to the next? These are just normal weight fluctuations. You are not gaining fat at 1300. Or 1400. Or 1500. Especially if you exercise as you seem to.
    You need to be persistent over a long period of time and be accurate measuring your food with a scale every day in order to lose weight.
  • TyFit1908
    TyFit1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    How are you measuring your intake?

Are you eating any of your exercise calories back?

What is your height, weight, age and activity level not counting intentional exercise?

5'10
    I'm currently out of work, so mostly sedentary exception of physical exercise. I've tracked my meals and exercise on MyFitnessPal, Fitbit and Weight Watchers. Out of frustration, I haven't tracked in the last 2 weeks. I we'll eat some, but I generally do not eat back all of my exercise calories
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    TyFit1908 wrote: »
    Just doing some readings about the benefits of food scales. While there seem to be many, they were some dietitians warning about people becoming obsessive over it. I have become really obsessive over the scale when it comes to weight. I've had to stop weighing myself because I would focus on the number so much. Tracking it's tough, and sometimes it can be consuming, I know they were many days that I ate less than a thousand calories just to get the scale to move. I don't know if I want to add something else that I potentially can obsess over. I do plan to up my calorie intake to something more realistic, not quite sure what yet. I also want to know if there's anything that I can do Beyond calorie counting to speed up my metabolism. I really do appreciate the comments and advice,

A food scale can be liberating as well. For me, it helps me find out how much food I get to eat! Sometimes when weighing you'll find you may have overestimated your portions and so you'll have more wiggle room. It does swing the other way as well though...I don't find that restrictive, if anything it makes me feel more in control, more free. Of course, we're all different. There are plenty of people who are successful without food scales. I just wanted to share my thoughts on it.

Also, in your case it may be especially beneficial because you say you're eating very low calories and not seeing results. It may be that you are eating a few hundred calories more than you realize. This is where a simple addition to your daily routine of weighing portions may be all that is needed to correct the issue.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great video, and the suggested ones afterwards expand on it with other items.

I just weighed my frozen steam meal tonight - usually I don't worry about it because accuracy on weight of package is usually pretty good on product they spit out of machines pretty much by weight already. But realized I had never weighed these before to know for sure.

Package claimed 680g, actual weight 692 - so 2.04 servings for 360 cal/serving = 734 instead of 720.
    Within 5% - not going to worry about it in the future.
    Well, it took 15 sec to weigh, probably will.

Bread though, or other frozen vege meals that are higher calorie, I know have issues with some of them - weigh every time.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I agree about the food scale being liberating. It takes most of the mystery out of the equation and it is one less thing to worry about during the day. Once you get a handle on the tare function it only takes a few moments normally. Snack portions can be measured in advance and put into small containers or bags.

The other thing is you can't use common sense on portion sizes. They can be reasonable to stupidly small. I was looking at 3 oz serving of a chicken dish the other night laughing at how it was 3 or 4 bites. Weighing catches all of that nonsense.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with using the food scale. It’s very quick and easy, makes me feel secure about what I’m logging, and is accurate. I’ve tried to lose weight on and off for years, never had any real success until I started counting my calories (accurately) and using a food scale. I’ve now lost nearly 20kg, and am really happy with my progress.

By the way- I also have PCOS. I’ve lost just fine by setting my weight loss to a 0.5kg per week (1lb) deficit. Some people have said that PCOS might make it harder for me to lose weight, but that hasn’t been the case at all.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Women with PCOS do tend to have slower metabolisms as was pointed out in this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18678372/
    PCOS women have to eat a couple 100 calories less to lose weight. Also insulin resistance could be there too. PCOS and impaired glucose tolerance do go hand in hand so that’s something to look into. I also have PCOS. I was eating 1700 calories and wasn’t losing weight now I’ve dropped to 1500. I also eat between 100g-150g of carbs per day. Fingers crossed I can lose these 24lbs. Also I would say go up to 1300 calories then 1400 calories. The initial weight gain is water weight. Yes after that you’re weight will level out. I’ve been through the same thing. Have you tried taking inositol for PCOS? Apparently it helps with a lot of the PCOS symptoms and many women have found it to help. I know losing weight with PCOS can be frustrating but you need to be consistent. That’s what I’m doing now.

Have you tried lifting heavy weights? That’s really good for insulin sensitivity. You seem to do a lot of dvd type workouts. Try adding in two sessions of pure strength training and see how that goes.