OMG I'm eating twice the amount of calories I should be

Options
I just started with this website today and I discovered I am eating twice the amount of calories I should be to lose the amount I need to. Can anyone help me? I don't know how to cut it down. I thought the amounts and kind of food was totally healthy and I would lose weight. Now I realize that even some of the healthy stuff can be my worst choice

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It is quite an eye opener isn't it? Try reducing your portion sizes. Then if you truly still feel hungry eat more veggies. You will soon get used to eating less. Best of luck.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Double is a lot. How much do you need to lose, and how fast are you trying to lose it?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is well and good, but weight loss is all about the amounts. You will simply have to cut back on your portion sizes.

Don't be too confident in your calorie estimates unless you're weighing your portions, mind you. Even prepackaged food can contain more than it says on the label. If you're measuring by volume, the actual amount of food can vary wildly, either up or down. A kitchen scale is the indispensable tool for controlling our intake.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    It takes some time to get it right, you just have to work out what works for you and your body. Start by logging honestly and work on slowly reducing that down. The more you do it, the more you will find yourself making better choices.
    Also, don't start at too aggressive a goal. When I first joined I was at a 1200 calorie allowance, doing barely any exercise, and could never sustain it and would eventually go off the rails. Since then I have been playing with the numbers and finding out what my body responds to. I now have my allowance at 1300 but workout 4-5 times a week which allows me to eat a lot more than 1300 (usually around 1500), I only stick to 1300 on rest days. Since making this change I am never hungry and lose consistently. Take your time and be patient with the process, it works!
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I remember that eye opener and the worst part was a lot of my calories were drinks..And that sucks!!! You found the answer and now you should have no problem now that you know what is wrong.
    Do you want to open your diary for help? Most will be just cutting back and eating slower and if you are like me, make better choices in what you drink.
  • daniellewhiteliving
    daniellewhiteliving Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I couldn't believe the amount of calories I was eating since using mfp! The calories in spreads, sauces ECT I'd never taken into account. It's about just making small changes..I've cut out butter and sauces plus I'm eating lots of protein and salad. As long as u don't go over your daily calories youl be fine. I still have 1 glass of wine a night but I go for a half hour jog to earn it!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If you make your diary public perhaps some of the really smart people in this forum can look at what you ate and give you more specific pointers.

You could also friend some others whose diaries are open to their friends - a good way of seeing how menu plans can work and the sort of amounts people eat to lose weight. Friend people with similar lifestyles and goals. At the beginning I found it helpful to pinch meal ideas.