It is time to change my goals

Options
My fitness journey started 4 years ago when I had an emotional eating spiral due to a miscarriage. Despite awful morning sickness I managed to put on 10 lbs in the few short weeks I was pregnant and then ate my emotions while dealing with the loss and the hormone crash that followed. I gained 24 lbs in 3 months! I managed to get back down to my normal weight before getting pregnant again and lost all of my pregnancy weight no problem after having my 3rd and final baby. Aside from that 24 lb gain and the occasional 10 lbs here and there that I could lose pretty easily in a couple months I have been about 130 lbs for as long as a can remember. I'm 5'7" so this is technically a great weight, and at the lower end of the spectrum for my height and yet I hate what I see when I look in the mirror. For the last 6 weeks I've been trying desperately to lose 5 lbs with no real progress. I have been eating at a pretty low deficit over all. Some days I would eat closer to maintenance but I would make up for it by eating much less the days surrounding, and yet the scale just won't budge. Then I realized that this is the weight my body needs to be at, this is where its happy and wants to stay and I'm ok with that. So I'm reevaluating my goals. As much as I would love to look great in a bikini this summer I just don't think it's going to happen. I've decided to stop cutting calories, eat right around maintenance and do a recomp instead. If it goes well and I'm liking the process maybe I'll do a little bulk and cut over the winter and spring. I am no longer going to try and weigh less and focus more on reshaping my body. Anyone who would like to be friends feel free to add me.

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I am sure that some of the ladies will chime in....there are a few that I am hoping see your post and reply. In the meantime...

Good for you for coming to the realization that your likely have found your "natural body weight". And, that a recomp is likely a good idea for you.

What do you have your maintenance caloric intake value as being? I did a little work and I come up with the following numbers for you (assumed you to be 30 - will be a little off if older or younger):

Basal Metabolic Rate
    1,342 calories per day
    Sedentary
    1,611 calories per day
    Light Exercise
    1,846 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise
    2,081 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise
    2,315 calories per day
    Athlete
    2,550 calories per day

And, the above numbers are simply a starting point for you....

What is your training program? Have you investigated Strong Curves? Are you counting macros along with calories? If yes, what do they look like?
  • clyn90
    clyn90 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mfp gave me 1900 but I'm going to start at 1650 and adjust from there (I'm 28 btw). I am currently doing some body weight exercises but no real consistency in my routine. I also use my rowing machine and walk as much as possible. Going to a gym is not an option for me due to budget and childcare. I do however have a bar bell, dumb bells, and up to 25lb plates. I would like to get a bench very soon too.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Good call. I'm in a similar place - I could lose a bit more weight, but doing so still wouldn't get me where I want to be, so I'm taking a step back and settling in for a longer haul (recomp)... hopefully for the better.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I've been recomping for 10 months. Feel free to add me. Good luck!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    clyn90 wrote: »
    Mfp gave me 1900 but I'm going to start at 1650 and adjust from there (I'm 28 btw). I am currently doing some body weight exercises but no real consistency in my routine. I also use my rowing machine and walk as much as possible. Going to a gym is not an option for me due to budget and childcare. I do however have a bar bell, dumb bells, and up to 25lb plates. I would like to get a bench very soon too.

Cool beans. And, sorry about the age thing. I was close! :-) Consistency will be key, but totally understand your situation. Have you looked at Strong Curves? Lots and lots of the ladies here do that program and some of the girls that I help here in Winston-Salem have started that program and they LOVE IT! It is all about the bootie, but it helps with everything. There is even a section in there for body weight exercises, so no "equipment" necessary.

Here is a link to it: https://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf

Keep in mind that the numbers that I provided are TDEE (thus, the different numbers based on different Physical Activity Levels), which is slightly different from the number that MFP potentially gave you (not trying to confuse things here for you).

And, if and when you are able to get that bench and to start lifting weights, more power to you! Good luck and enjoy your journey!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @clyn90 same spot as you. 5-7” and holding at 130. This spring, before vacation I got down to 123 and just started seeing abs poking out. Too much restriction led to binging, so I bounced back up. I already have a pretty intense workout schedule, but I’m focusing on getting to a range of 120-125 over the next several months. It suited me. FR me if you want to connect.
  • clyn90
    Options
    @nowine4me I haven't been below 125 since my late teens when I was drinking heavily and never eating because I wanted either too busy or too hung over lol. Obviously that was not healthy. I've never been able to maintain a weight that low. My goal is to look like I only weigh 120 with out having to eat like I'm only 120, I like food!
  • clyn90
    Options
    @LiftHeavyThings27105 I think I'm going to do strong lifts 5x5. I need to find a squat alternative though. I broke my clavicle but not in the typical spot a few years ago. I practically severed the socket from the rest of the collar bone. I was pregnant at the time so the doctors wouldn't fix it. I'm now left with a shorter deformed shoulder and a huge lump that hurts to put pressure on. I tried yesterday and there is no comfortable way to hold a barbell on my shoulders.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    @LiftHeavyThings27105 I think I'm going to do strong lifts 5x5. I need to find a squat alternative though. I broke my clavicle but not in the typical spot a few years ago. I practically severed the socket from the rest of the collar bone. I was pregnant at the time so the doctors wouldn't fix it. I'm now left with a shorter deformed shoulder and a huge lump that hurts to put pressure on. I tried yesterday and there is no comfortable way to hold a barbell on my shoulders.

You could try goblet squats and zercher squats.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Zercher Squats are interesting. It might be a way to include squats in the programing. Be advised that Squats are the main lift in Strong Lifts 5x5. Can you maybe try Front Squats?

I am assuming that you were trying Back Squats? And, note that there are two different kinds of Back Squats - high bar and low bar.

Goblet Squats would be a potentially great alternative as well. Shoot, does your gym have a Hack Squat Machine? Or a "Perfect Squat" machine? You could try that as well?

Also, can you do OHP (aka, Overhead Press)?

I really enjoyed doing Strong Lifts 5x5. I am sure that you are aware of this, but just in case that you are not, there is a neat App that is available (I have an Android so I can not speak to that app being available for iPhones...).

Enjoy. Let us know what you end up doing in place of - what I am guessing - back squats.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

SL is a great program... but you can certainly apply the methodology/structure to a different set of lifts. If barbell squats don't work for you, then sub it out for whatever variation does. As mentioned, goblet or zercher are good. Front squats are an option. You may also try regular barbell squats with the bar a bit lower on your back (more across your upper back than your shoulders. Depending on your injury, that could help.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    My goal is to look like I only weigh 120 with out having to eat like I'm only 120, I like food!

You'll benefit from disconnecting your goal from scale weight and focus only on aesthetic improvements or bodily measurement changes (more definition, bust, waist, hip/glute measurements, etc.). Not knowing specifically what your goal physique looks like and how it compares to where you are now (you already look lean in your picture, unsure if current), it's hard to say definitively, but adding muscle very well may entail adding scale weight due to the density differences between muscle and fat. In essence, the look you really want may equate to a scale weight of 135-140 (complete ballpark example), not 120 and I'd hate to see that number be a big hang up that keeps you from getting to where you want to be.

Regarding a workout program, Strong Lifts always comes up as a beginner recommendation because of it's simplicity and linear progression, which makes it easy to follow and lets the user gain a lot of confidence quickly since the weight on the bar is always increasing. I get that, however, I found it to lack balance, volume, and sufficient variation in movement patterns and rep ranges such that there are other options that are more well-designed and effective. @LiftHeavyThings27105 mentioned StrongCurves, which is very popular, and my impression is that it has a good amount of flexibility to fit experience/ability levels and adapts to equipment availability.

For Squat modifications, goblets, front squats, or resistance band squats are all alternatives. It's worth noting those variations are a little more quad-dominant than traditional back squats so you'll likely want to supplement with other glute exercises. Additionally, their use is often chastised, but getting a foam pad for the bar or even wrapping a towel around it might be a solution to alleviate discomfort.