Alcohol

Options
I recently quit drinking. I even had to quit a specific job where I was able to drink for free every single weekend... I dont really drink 'girl drinks'. I liked tequila and vodka.. Straight to the point kinda stuff. Im a photographer, I am at events A LOT and often hired to photograph restaurants food and drink menus, they typically give you the choice to drink and eat for FREE afterwards.. I took a 3 month break off of my photography business because I know what I'm doing isn't healthy:/ and I was in a landslide if depression. A doctor even tried to have me put on zoloft... you know.. the stuff that gets you high enough to forget you might hate yourself but might also kill you lol.. I have been doing better since I put my business on hold and took some time to better my health.. I work out now about 4 times a week on an elliptical for 30 minutes trying to build my endurance (im one of those weird people who love cardio lol). Anyway, I hope people understand that quitting alcohol really does help.. (females trust me i know its hard to quit especially when PMSing.. you just want that glass of wine to chill the fck out lol but maybe in this instance eating that bit of chocolate or ice cream is better.)

Replies

• kourtamunoz
    kourtamunoz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good for you on making such a hard lifestyle change! It's amazing how so much centers around alcohol. I was talking about this with someone the other day. As an adult, I don't think I've ever been invited to an event or activity that didn't involve alcohol in some way. Hell, even races now conclude with a free pint of beer.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    That is a good move on your part and I too did the same thing.
    I finally gave up the booze and have my one rule when my husband and I go out. I drink OR dessert. Has made a world of difference especially around the gut area!
  • Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For me I had to set goals that drinking would get in the way of. I found I’m more interested in waking up early to get my fitness on than stay up and drink. Awesome job and keep it up!
  • Gabbie361
    Gabbie361 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's hard. I'm a whiskey lover and it's hard to stay away because I used to like to cook my steaks in whiskey and I cut out sodas and whiskey so now I'm like just drinking water but you got this girl you can do this!!!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    You lost me at girl drink, I hate that misnomer. I don't drink wine, beer or coffee, they all taste like crap to me.

But seriously, good for you to take charge of your health & do what's best for you, because if you don't, who will?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Zoloft doesn't get you high... I think you might be confusing it with Xanax and even then "high" is relative. It's nothing like you would experience compared to the obvious recreational drugs (including Alchohol). Most people that abuse Xanax do so by combining it with booze or more rarely with heroin.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I've recently gone AF. Today is day 11. I am watching Craig Beck videos for inspiration. I've also found The Sober School website to be helpful. I am happy to have found this thread.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,486 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking and went from 285 lbs to about 220 lbs with no other changes except filling my drinking time with some moderate exercise, walking and stationary bike.

I took Zoloft for awhile due to work stress and insomnia- it worked ok but was horrible stuff. I gained about 20 lbs in a year. Which I quickly shed when I quit the medication. I wouldn’t describe Zoloft as making me high. Zombie like, certainly not high.

And if you really need meds, there’s gotta be much better stuff than Zoloft now.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I've recently gone AF. Today is day 11. I am watching Craig Beck videos for inspiration. I've also found The Sober School website to be helpful. I am happy to have found this thread.

Thank you for being here! I just got here, too! I love Craig Beck. I will look into the The Sober School. Thank you!
  • teksurv
    teksurv Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good for you!. I know very much how hard this is. Keep focusing on other things and that will help.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I quit drinking and went from 285 lbs to about 220 lbs with no other changes except filling my drinking time with some moderate exercise, walking and stationary bike.

I took Zoloft for awhile due to work stress and insomnia- it worked ok but was horrible stuff. I gained about 20 lbs in a year. Which I quickly shed when I quit the medication. I wouldn’t describe Zoloft as making me high. Zombie like, certainly not high.

And if you really need meds, there’s gotta be much better stuff than Zoloft now.

everyone's brain chemistry is different which is why there are so many antidepressants. when i took it, it gave my life back. i was no longer eeyore and more like piglet. lexapro made me angry, wellbutrin gave me vertigo, and the list goes on.

i was weaned off it without issues, but when i needed help again, it didn't do anything, so we moved on to another medicine.
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    Well wanted to get some wine after this week. Vacation can't get here soon enough. Started thinking it through. My goals for weight loss, being exhausted..... Not wanting to go back to the horrid drinking lifestyle again, I hurried home.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It takes a while, but sooner or later you realize no one bats an eye when you say - “no thanks, I’ll stick with water”.
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    As a fellow "tog" and drinker I just hope when you find "the answer" you will let me know how the hell you did it!
    I'm not doing too bad.. health and weight are doing good.. exercise and fitness.. I'm happy and getting better. But the drinking... just can't get a grip on that so any advice you have, send it my way please.
    Keep taking the photo's though.. they always make you smile.
  • thelegendofsakura89
    thelegendofsakura89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been sober for a few days shy of 2 years now, and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I don't miss it at all.

Good for you, keep it up.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @PHOTOCHAP Try watching Craig Beck, the stop drinking expert videos on You tube. He is totally no BS and has really good advice on how to stop. They also say wait 6 minutes and the urge will pass. When I get a craving I simply drink something else immediately. Sometimes you are merely thirsty. Stay strong!
  • PHOTOCHAP
    PHOTOCHAP Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @PHOTOCHAP Try watching Craig Beck, the stop drinking expert videos on You tube. He is totally no BS and has really good advice on how to stop. They also say wait 6 minutes and the urge will pass. When I get a craving I simply drink something else immediately. Sometimes you are merely thirsty. Stay strong!

I will definitely take a look at that. Thanks!