Speeding up metabolism

Options

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Building muscle could increase your metabolism a bit. Might be worth a try. I've lost over 100 pounds and my metabolism is pretty slow (I also have a slow thyroid but am medicated). I am going to add weight training to try to build some muscle. I know it's frustrating to be stuck on way less calories than everyone else is. If I go over 1450 or so I start to gain.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    You can put on significant muscle... that will increase your metabolism.

Otherwise you just need to eat less (or exercise more while eating the same).
  • TyFit1908
    TyFit1908 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Women with PCOS do tend to have slower metabolisms as was pointed out in this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18678372/
    PCOS women have to eat a couple 100 calories less to lose weight. Also insulin resistance could be there too. PCOS and impaired glucose tolerance do go hand in hand so that’s something to look into. I also have PCOS. I was eating 1700 calories and wasn’t losing weight now I’ve dropped to 1500. I also eat between 100g-150g of carbs per day. Fingers crossed I can lose these 24lbs. Also I would say go up to 1300 calories then 1400 calories. The initial weight gain is water weight. Yes after that you’re weight will level out. I’ve been through the same thing. Have you tried taking inositol for PCOS? Apparently it helps with a lot of the PCOS symptoms and many women have found it to help. I know losing weight with PCOS can be frustrating but you need to be consistent. That’s what I’m doing now.

Have you tried lifting heavy weights? That’s really good for insulin sensitivity. You seem to do a lot of dvd type workouts. Try adding in two sessions of pure strength training and see how that goes.

Consistency is the hardest part, you are so right. Even though I have PCOS, I had no weight struggles until I hit my 30s. I put on a lot of weight quickly and I just haven't been able to lose it. I'm tall so I can disguise it better than most, but it is incredibly frustrating to work out as hard as I do and still not be where you want to be. I haven't been working since September. I thought now I can really focus on losing weight since I don't have work as a distraction. I can work out 6 times a week, I can do double workouts. I can be more focused on my diet, less temptation. Since September, I am down maybe 5 lb.

I no longer do DVD workouts, I was just listing some of the different routines I've done over the last three years, that in spite of the intensity, have not yielded the results I'd hoped for. My current routine is body pump 3 times a week, running 3 times a week. I have lost inches since starting body pump. I try to increase my weight on the bar every week.
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    TyFit1908 wrote: »
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Women with PCOS do tend to have slower metabolisms as was pointed out in this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18678372/
    PCOS women have to eat a couple 100 calories less to lose weight. Also insulin resistance could be there too. PCOS and impaired glucose tolerance do go hand in hand so that’s something to look into. I also have PCOS. I was eating 1700 calories and wasn’t losing weight now I’ve dropped to 1500. I also eat between 100g-150g of carbs per day. Fingers crossed I can lose these 24lbs. Also I would say go up to 1300 calories then 1400 calories. The initial weight gain is water weight. Yes after that you’re weight will level out. I’ve been through the same thing. Have you tried taking inositol for PCOS? Apparently it helps with a lot of the PCOS symptoms and many women have found it to help. I know losing weight with PCOS can be frustrating but you need to be consistent. That’s what I’m doing now.

Have you tried lifting heavy weights? That’s really good for insulin sensitivity. You seem to do a lot of dvd type workouts. Try adding in two sessions of pure strength training and see how that goes.

Consistency is the hardest part, you are so right. Even though I have PCOS, I had no weight struggles until I hit my 30s. I put on a lot of weight quickly and I just haven't been able to lose it. I'm tall so I can disguise it better than most, but it is incredibly frustrating to work out as hard as I do and still not be where you want to be. I haven't been working since September. I thought now I can really focus on losing weight since I don't have work as a distraction. I can work out 6 times a week, I can do double workouts. I can be more focused on my diet, less temptation. Since September, I am down maybe 5 lb.

I no longer do DVD workouts, I was just listing some of the different routines I've done over the last three years, that in spite of the intensity, have not yielded the results I'd hoped for. My current routine is body pump 3 times a week, running 3 times a week. I have lost inches since starting body pump. I try to increase my weight on the bar every week.

Once you start weighing your food, and comparing it to your weight loss trend, it will all start to click on what works for you. Then you can decide if it’s perfect, if you would prefer to workout more for additional calories, or that less calories would be more sustainable than upping your activity. If you don’t start here, no one can help you without the data.
  • TyFit1908
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I see there a lot of big fans of food scales. I will give it some consideration. I still don't believe I'm eating significantly more then I'm logging. Because I was eating such a small amount of food for extensive periods of time, working out and not eating back my exercise calories. I don't know if a food scale is enough to solve that issue. There would be weeks where I would have a shake for breakfast made with water, strawberries and powder, a cup of Frozen steamed vegetables with shredded chicken breast for dinner, and another shake for dinner, maybe a banana for a snack. I would eat that and then workout. Even if I was off by a few hundred calories, it's still a very small amount of food. I had weeks averaging 1000 calories or less. But obviously this isn't realistic, and I feel like I'm starving, so then I try to have a cheat day or eat some of my workout calories. A month later I'm up a few pounds or I weigh the same. My main concern is how eating like this for prolonged periods of time has impacted my metabolism, and my best course of action to address this
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I see there a lot of big fans of food scales. I will give it some consideration. I still don't believe I'm eating significantly more then I'm logging. Because I was eating such a small amount of food for extensive periods of time, working out and not eating back my exercise calories. I don't know if a food scale is enough to solve that issue. There would be weeks where I would have a shake for breakfast made with water, strawberries and powder, a cup of Frozen steamed vegetables with shredded chicken breast for dinner, and another shake for dinner, maybe a banana for a snack. I would eat that and then workout. Even if I was off by a few hundred calories, it's still a very small amount of food. I had weeks averaging 1000 calories or less. But obviously this isn't realistic, and I feel like I'm starving, so then I try to have a cheat day or eat some of my workout calories. A month later I'm up a few pounds or I weigh the same. My main concern is how eating like this for prolonged periods of time has impacted my metabolism, and my best course of action to address this

You don't have to be eating more than you're logging... you just have to be eating more/at maintenance.

Eat less. Rinse and repeat.
  • TyFit1908
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

You don't have to be eating more than you're logging... you just have to be eating more/at maintenance.

I'm so confused by what you are saying. I've explained what I've been eating. I'm not eating at maintenance.

Then why aren't you losing weight?

As I have stated, I lose and gain the same 10 to 15 lb. I eat very low calories for prolonged periods of time, workout 4 to 6 times a week. As weeks go by, I start to feel like I'm not getting the results based on the effort. I get frustrated and less motivated. I gain all or part of the 15 lb back, and start the cycle all over again. Each time it's supposed to be different, I'm going to exercise more. I'm going to cut my calories more. I'm going to eliminate bread. I'm going to eliminate all processed foods. I'm going to lift weights. I'm going to run longer. I'm going to just have meal replacement shakes. But in the end, I end up where I started
  • TyFit1908
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    This tact is going nowhere.

@TyFit1908
    When is the last time you have been to the doctor?
    Have you taken your physical measurements and compared a month later?
    Have you weighed on a different scale recently?
    Do you feel dizzy or weak when you eat less for "weeks and weeks"?
    If you knew eating what you thought was too little was not healthy why did you keep doing it?
    Now that you are not working how much of your day are you devoting to your weight loss or lack of?
    Are you happy outside of carrying a little extra weight?

I had a physical in November, everything was good. However, I've had PCOS for many years.

I have taken my measurements, and in May I lost a few inches in comparison to April. I actually went up two pounds. I decided not to stress out about that. I joined the gym and April and switched up my routine. I was very consistent the entire month. I have not weighed myself or taken additional measurements in the month of May.

I did feel dizzy, sometimes I felt weak. My workout at times suffered, particularly running. Sometimes I was very tired and sleepy. I knew I was eating too little, sometimes I just wanted to see the scale move. Sometimes I ate little because I was trying to cut out all of the high carb foods, and then there just wasn't much else left. I'm not a big meat eater, don't eat beef or pork or shellfish. So when I cut carbs too much, I find myself with nothing really to eat

I'm not working, but it's not my choice. Since I lost my job, I have become a full-time caretaker for my elderly mom. I also Uber Drive to make ends meet. Obviously this been very difficult. The job search has certainly had an impact on my happiness, or lack thereof. Since I am home I hit the gym regularly, and I have made Fitness a part of my daily routine. But something like it down and don't want to do anything . I do have to prepare meals for my mom. She has a sweet tooth, so I have to keep the house stacked with snacks. This doesn't bother me as much anymore, finally got used to all the junk food in the house. When I was working I used to meal prep for the week on Sunday. I'm thinking about doing that again so that I don't have to think about what I'm going to eat each day, hopefully eliminating an opportunity to make bad choices
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »

I'm so confused by what you are saying. I've explained what I've been eating. I'm not eating at maintenance.

By definition: if you aren't losing weight, and you aren't gaining weight, then you are eating at maintenance. You just don't realize it.

Just because you log it in MFP doesn't make it so. If you aren't measuring/weighing everything that goes in your mouth then you really have no idea what your intake is and you are just guessing and logging meaningless numbers.

In regards to your working out, just a side note on how I look at things personally: I exercise for health gains, and watch what I eat for my weight loss/maintenance. I don't exercise for weight loss. I've seen tons of people that exercise like madmen and are way out of shape or overweight. My weight is managed in the kitchen, my health is managed in the gym/by exercise.

This is the reality, and the fact that her maintenance window is 10-15 lbs instead of 5-8 isn't really pertinent to the discussion.