Losing weight via less calorie consumption vs. working out

Options
I am curious what the difference is in these 2 scenarios......

1. You eat at or just under your reduced calorie goal (1200 per MFP) to lose weight

2. You still have a 1200 calorie goal but you burn 300 via exercise and then reconsume the 300 to meet your 1200 calories

The question is this........is one more efective than the other? If you are ultimately getting to the same caloric intake then shouldn't you lose weight at the same rate?

I understand exercise is important and am not disputing that, I am just wondering how scenario 2 makes you lose weight faster if you are ultimately consuming the same calories as scenario 1?

Replies

• bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, depending on the exercising, you gain muscle. Muscle burns more fat. So, in the long run you may be losing more weight with exercise because your body is better able to do so.
  • SaraWojcik19
    SaraWojcik19 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article but I'ma fraid it didn't help me understand this. =(
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I would say that exercise itself boosts your metabolism. The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn, and you're not gaining any muscle without working out. I'd definitely go for the exercise/eat more option. Plus, working out makes you feel great!
  • phawley13
    phawley13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It really depends. For me I can't just eat the calories, I don't loose that way.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, depending on the exercising, you gain muscle. Muscle burns more fat. So, in the long run you may be losing more weight with exercise because your body is better able to do so.

Like she said ;)

It's better to do it with exercise because even though you only burn 300 calories for the 30 mins you were exercising you woke your body up so to speak, and you will burn more calories at rest for the remaining day than if you hadn't worked out at all - does that make sense??
  • SaraWojcik19
    SaraWojcik19 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    yes that does make sense. so going along that line of thought (burning more calories for the rest of the day) - if I work out at 8pm am i losing the extra time in the day to burn more calories? is it more beneficial to work out at noon so my body can stay rev'd uup longer?

I was really just experimenting with eating less and not working out to see what the results would be. i seemed to lsoe weight faster when i incorporated exercise than when i just ate the lower claories and didn't exercise.

now that I have seen only a .5 weight loss in 2 weeks, I will try the next 2 weeks as 1200 calories and at least 30 minutes of exercise daily.

i'm really just trying to experiment and see what works best for my body.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    They may seem the same, but they are greatly different. You seem to understand the benefits of exercise for overall health so I won't mention it. But if you take that one pound lost, which would you rather it come from: Fat or Lean muscle tissue? Which one is better to you is determined by your overall goals.
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have read/heard that weight loss is 90% diet (what you eat) and 10% exercise. I take that to mean that you can't possibly rely on exercise alone to lose weight, unless you exercise A LOT, like crazy, intense exercise (like you're a professional athlete). So exercise isn't the 100% solution, but it is part of the solution.

You also have to remember that a pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat. When I was really fit, years ago (on my way to getting there again!), I weighed about 140 pounds (I'm 5' 5"). I tried to get down to 135 and I couldn't do it. Yet I wore a size 4 and even a size 2 in some things. Pretty small. My same-height friend weighed the same but was not fit. She barely fit into a size 8.

I don't think you have to kill yourself with exercise unless your goal is to be really fit. I recently started working with a trainer and when she asked me what my main goal is, I didn't say weight loss, even though I need to lose about 45 pounds. I said "I want to be STRONG and FIT." As a woman and mom to three daughters, I want to be healthy, well, fit, and strong. So, I'm big on the working out. But if it's not your thing, which is totally fine, you will certainly lose weight by watching what you eat

HTH
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Basically, you may lose the same weight, but you won't look the same. Great article discussing this and related ideas (with pictures to show how it's different)...

http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/
  • Knightrobs
    Knightrobs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like exercise over diet for 3 reasons:

1) I dropped my first 40lbs in 6 weeks (245 to 205) by exercising and eating the same food
    2) I learned a new sport and met a tonne of new friends
    3) I like to binge*

*when I'm exercising aggressively and consistently, I can afford a two day binge of pizza, fudge and pad thai. By Monday the scale hasn't changed, I got my fix, and I feel rejuvenated. Screw oatmeal and salads, bring on the exercise baby! :)
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this because I had the exact same question.
  • Kywesley
    Kywesley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly new to MFP but I like the way it is set up. I've tried reducing my intake without exercise and did not go far, yet while tracking with MFP and eating any exercise calories I have burned, I have consistently lost. I'm now on week 5 and am seeing a definite improvement. I'd say that diet and exercise trump diet alone any day.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Last time I lost weight I did it without exercise. I got to my goal weight quicker than I did this time (12 months). I was NOT happy with my body. My upper body was too thin. My lower body still had large noticeable fat stores.

This time I'm close to 14 months. I have 8 more pounds to get where I want before. I already am happier with my body. My arms look great. My abs are already showing. My calves are awesome, my thighs even look decent when in motion. I'm trying even slower for the last 8 pounds so that I maintain my muscles.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    yes that does make sense. so going along that line of thought (burning more calories for the rest of the day) - if I work out at 8pm am i losing the extra time in the day to burn more calories? is it more beneficial to work out at noon so my body can stay rev'd uup longer?

You body should still burn more until you went to bed if you worked out at 8pm but then again if you worked out at noon it would be rev'd up longer... But in the end either time is better than no time because over time you create more lean muscle which will lead to a faster metabolism and therefore you will lose weight faster and look more fit when you are done. There are several scientific processes at work but in the end any exercise is better than no exercise and I feel early in the day is better than later in the day.

I do know how hard it is to get in exercise in the am. I am a teacher and have been off all summer long and I go back to work monday :frown: I'm not sure how I am going to get in exercise before work since I have to leave my house by 6:15 to be on time especially since I am not a morning person. My back-up plan is to exercise as soon as I get home from work. Keeping finger crossed!

Good luck to you!
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I like exercise over diet for 3 reasons:

1) I dropped my first 40lbs in 6 weeks (245 to 205) by exercising and eating the same food
    2) I learned a new sport and met a tonne of new friends
    3) I like to binge*

*when I'm exercising aggressively and consistently, I can afford a two day binge of pizza, fudge and pad thai. By Monday the scale hasn't changed, I got my fix, and I feel rejuvenated. Screw oatmeal and salads, bring on the exercise baby! :)

You're very lucky to be a young dude!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    neither..

because our bodies adapt. if you eat the same it'll become very efficient at surviving at that calorie intake. you'll lose weight at first, but then the dreaded stall.

and if you eat back what you workout the same will happen..your body adapts
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Its a good question. Of course weight training 2-3 times a week tones your muscles, and cardio helps. But I've been thinking the same with all this talk of eating your exercise calories, why exercise an hour a day when 2-3 times a week would be sufficient for toning, and then have to eat so much back. Why not just do less cardio and eat less and have more time for your family/other things? I guess not everyone is on here for just weight loss but even so, its a good question.
    I decided to try toe at my exercise calories today and I can't even think of enough food to eat it all I find it really hard to eat that much.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet, so its important to get the food right. And yes, food alone can achieve weight loss. But exercise will help your shape, improve your metabolism, release feel-good hormones, improve your bone density etc.