IF: How do YOU break your fast?

Options
iLainey
iLainey Posts: 10 Member
Hello everyone! Just wondering what other people do to break their fast :) I fast between 14-16 hrs.

I've been doing bone broth and mct oil (add a rice cake on lifting days) then wait 30 mins before grabbing my meals. I also drink kombucha twice a week before I get anything in my stomach to keep my microbiome in check.

Just curious how others break their fast and what your reason is behind it :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    When I did it, I just ate lunch.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    iLainey wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Most people break their fast with breakfast... hence the name.

Haha I'm aware but those who practice fasting longer than just going to bed - wake up - eat cycle have different ways of breaking their fast since you deplete minerals etc when you do intermittent fasting and having a heavy meal right after causes some people stomach upset. Was just curious what other people who practice intermittent fasting are doing ☺

Everyone who eats dinner and then sleeps and eats in the morning is also intermittently fasting which is my point. The only difference is you are waiting 2 to 4 hours longer than almost everyone who eats 3 meals at the usual times.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    iLainey wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Most people break their fast with breakfast... hence the name.
    Haha I'm aware but those who practice fasting longer than just going to bed - wake up - eat cycle have different ways of breaking their fast since you deplete minerals etc when you do intermittent fasting and having a heavy meal right after causes some people stomach upset. Was just curious what other people who practice intermittent fasting are doing ☺
    Do they? I don't think I do. I don't eat for 16-18 hours between dinner and breakfast, and I can't say (or understand how) there is any depletion of minerals going on, and I eat a (I would say) normal breakfast of sandwiches and milk and fruit and veg. I think that anything that causes stomach upset, should be avoided.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Unless I'm doing an extended fast, pretty much anything longer than 24-36 hrs, I just eat normally. For longer fasts, I tend to break them by drinking some bone broth, then a smaller meal, then return to eating as normal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I think you're overthinking this. A 14-16 hour fast isn't something so extreme that it requires any special way of eating.

I 'more or less' usually do 16:8, just because it fits my eating pattern. When I break my fast, I eat a normal breakfast/lunch meal (according to whatever I feel like).

Eat whatever you want and what works best for you.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I don't say I practice intermittent fasting, but tonight I had dinner at 6:30pm and tomorrow I will eat breakfast at 9am. That's more than 14 hours between meals, but I just consider that normal eating, nothing special.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I IF a few days of the week because it's easier for my work schedule, plus I get the benefit of a larger dinner/snacks in the evening. I usually wait to break-fast at 2pm with a light lunch.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I eat my greek yogurt mixed with protein powder and berries.

What the *kitten* is MCT oil?
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I just eat whatever I feel like eating.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Medium chain triglycerides I think, people use it to make bullet proof coffee. Medium chain fat created in a lab basically. me thinks?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It's the keto version of ACV. :D

I went to examine.com after I asked. I see no appreciable benefit... Darn science.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Insert food in mouth. Fast broken.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Insert food in mouth. Fast broken.

Nuh-uh. You have to chew it and swallow it. :tongue:
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member