drinking water while running

Options
Whenever i run on the treadmill or outside i can't drink water w/o choking or having to stop because I feel like I can't get enough air. How can I run without having to come to a complete stop to get a drink? :(

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Try walking and drinking? does that work or do you have to stop for that too? maybe start off walking very slowly and build your way up?

I don't drink water while I'm running either though, I walk while I do... do other people drink while running?
  • Danelectro83
    Options
    get one of them camel pack things? you only take a sip at a time and you can just bite on the tip so you dont restrict your air way at all. just a thought.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You should get one of those helmet things with the straws. Might work. Lol.

Here's you a pic. Just change out the Cokes for water.

f37x9f.jpg
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I drink lots of water before and after I run or walk, but rarely during... only if it's really hot out or I am working out a long time. I take gum with me and it keeps me from getting a dry mouth. I don't like stopping for a drink either :)
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I drink on long runs. I just try to time. Are you having a problem because you're breathing really hard or just choking on the water? Walking is certainly an option, don't get into the mindset that you can't take a few walk breaks during your runs. Jeff Galloway, an olympic marathon runner even incorporated walk breaks into his marathon training.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Hop off to take a sip and hop back on.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. I can't do it either... if I walk too fast I spill all over myself or suck in air. Just take a short break every few minutes if you need to refresh.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do not drink when I run either.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If you can't manage it walking or anything, Camelback bags are the way to go.
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    Are you having a problem because you're breathing really hard or just choking on the water?

If it's because youre breathing too hard then I suggest going slower so you can get your breathing under control.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Slow your pace down or else walk to take a quick sip of water. No real need to come to a complete stop. But slowing down so you can take some water in efficiently is worth the few seconds you lose versus trying to drink mid-stride and choking on it.
  • phawley13
    phawley13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a Camelback, and I haven't used it for running, but I have for hiking and biking, and I love it
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    It takes a little practice. It's not a big deal to stop a drink though, until you get the hang of it.
  • cut3ch1k
    Options
    I drink on long runs. I just try to time. Are you having a problem because you're breathing really hard or just choking on the water? Walking is certainly an option, don't get into the mindset that you can't take a few walk breaks during your runs. Jeff Galloway, an olympic marathon runner even incorporated walk breaks into his marathon training.

Choking on the water & when i walk i spill lol
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Choking on the water & when i walk i spill lol

If it's just a matter of spilling when walking...get a simple sports bottle. The kind with the closed top and the straw.