Building Biceps Female

Options
I’m new-ish to lifting and enjoying the results, but I’ve noticed something, hopefully you pros can help.
I’ve seen many very fit women who have well toned visible biceps, but they seem to appear more elongated and linear. Whereas in men, their biceps are rounder & fuller.

Is it a gender thing? Can women not get round, full biceps without “supplemental” assistance?

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Sure they can. It just might take longer depending on where they started. I've also seen more women with low insertions than high - a high insertion will ultimately limit a person on how much they can build but in the short term will give them a "rounder" bicep. There are also two parts to the bicep and the long head is what creates it. I do think there is a genetic component as I've seen some serious bodybuilders struggle with it.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Sure they can. It just might take longer depending on where they started. I've also seen more women with low insertions than high - a high insertion will ultimately limit a person on how much they can build but in the short term will give them a "rounder" bicep. There are also two parts to the bicep and the long head is what creates it. I do think there is a genetic component as I've seen some serious bodybuilders struggle with it.

That's what I was going to say. It's mostly about the muscle insertion, which is genetic. Just like with calves.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Yup, very much genetics. I have the stupid longer looking biceps :s
  • rachellep103
    rachellep103 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ohh nuts! Well, that's what I was afraid of. I was really hoping for some nice round ones, but I am thinking I may not be able to given how things are shaping up so far. Darn! :/
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I feel like mine are in between long and round. I do isolation work, I'm sure that helps along with genetics.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I have okay biceps, not unhappy with them and the shoulders they are hooked to. :smiley: I do work my bi's and tri's each week.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

I wish. I have a super round bicep. It makes it go fairly high when flexed but ultimately makes my arm look under developed. Especially since I have fairly long arms paired with a high insertion.. :disappointed:
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Ohh nuts! Well, that's what I was afraid of. I was really hoping for some nice round ones, but I am thinking I may not be able to given how things are shaping up so far. Darn! :/

If it makes you feel any better, I have a low insertion on my biceps and really long arms. But I've noticed recently that my biceps are shaping up quite nicely and I have a nice bulge now. I don't do much isolation work. Mainly calisthenics for upper body. So lots of pull-ups, chin-ups, straight arm work. I really think it's been since I've been doing a lot more straight arm work that they've really grown.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »

I wish. I have a super round bicep. It makes it go fairly high when flexed but ultimately makes my arm look under developed. Especially since I have fairly long arms paired with a high insertion.. :disappointed:

Everyone wants what they don't have LOL
  • BBJock
    BBJock Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My girl friends bicep seems closer biased towards her shoulder then the elbow. I see this more common in women. Any reason for this? My bicep is more centered between the two. Mine is bigger and has the insertion peak but Id say for the size of her bicep compared to mine hers is stronger (mine is stronger in absolute terms) in the sense of endurance strength. She can do 15 strict form reps with a particular weight with little rest between sets and repeat 5 or more sets. The difference between what she is curling to fatique and what I curl is surprisingly not that much. I assume my bigger bicep just tires outs faster in relative terms. I doubt not related to the position of her bicep. Any advantage or disadvantage to where the bicep naturally positions?