How do I find out how many calories I need to eat to loose weight?

Options
MadameZET
MadameZET Posts: 1 Member
Ok, the thing is. Last two weeks I've been eating around 1400 a day. I was hoping to loose some weight on this 'regime'. Unfortunately I did not loose any weight, at all.
Well this 1400 a day, was basically just a wild guess as I could not find any information on the amount of calories I should eat in order to loose the extra weight I've put over the last two years.

How did you find out what your daily intake should be?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    MadameZET wrote: »
    Ok, the thing is. Last two weeks I've been eating around 1400 a day. I was hoping to loose some weight on this 'regime'. Unfortunately I did not loose any weight, at all.
    Well this 1400 a day, was basically just a wild guess as I could not find any information on the amount of calories I should eat in order to loose the extra weight I've put over the last two years.

How did you find out what your daily intake should be?

MFP will give you a calorie goal if you fill out your profile and goals.

Remember weight loss isn't linear and you will sometimes go a week or two without losing weight.

Also remember no calorie goal will work if you aren't logging accurately. Choosing correct entries and weighing out your portions is especially important when starting out.

Lots of helpful info in the posts pinned to the top of each forum as well. Good luck!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Click "My Home" -> "Goals" -> "Guided Setup." We generally recommend setting it to a 1 pound per week loss unless you have a very large amount of weight to lose.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP will tell you. Follow it for 4 - 6 weeks before you decide it doesn't work
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You also need to input your activity level when you use the MFP calorie goal setup. MFP gives you the choices below. These refer to your normal day-to-day level of activity, like the examples given illustrate. They do not include an additional exercise you might do, which should be logged separately. Unless you are in an active occupation which requires real exertion, it is safest to set you activity level as sedentary.

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesperson)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. food server, postal carrier)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)