How is Weight Watchers successful for so many?

Options
KM0692
KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
I signed up for WW (again) and lasted a week. I find it to be so restrictive. A 200 calorie granola bar is 8 points...that is 1/3 of my daily allowance.

I see so many success stories over there...but wow, are they all whole food eaters that never get a craving for something sweet??? :-D

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I chuckle...because I go to read this thread, and there's Oprah on the banner to the right. Not gonna click that "Get Started" button over there.
  • kathleenneriducharme
    kathleenneriducharme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    WW helped me figure out portion control. I lost almost 50 pounds 10 years, and I've kept most of it off.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    WW helped me figure out portion control. I lost almost 50 pounds 10 years, and I've kept most of it off.

Same. Lost 70 lbs. Portion control, accountability. Some people thrive off of more restrained plans. Others are better able to adapt to their multiple program changes. There's a big to do on their site about why people don't just put up or shut up with the Freestyle plan- plans change, get over it. Not everyone works that way. But apparently the successful do.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    The people I've known over the years who had success with WW were using the traditional WW with in-person group meetings. In discussing it with them, they really seemed to "need" the social & accountability aspects of actually going to the WW meetings and weighing in regularly, to keep them on track. Similar to TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly). They learned portion control and tips for keeping calories lower despite the fact that in its various versions through the years WW focuses on different stuff like "points" rather than calories...honestly to me it sounds like with any version of WW many people are changing their eating habits and thinking twice about some of their larger portions and therefore losing weight.

I have never tried Weight Watchers or TOPS or anything else though so I don't know firsthand. I am maintaining a major loss (over 100) but for me it's MFP that was the "ideal" solution for me because I do NOT like to be public about my efforts to lose weight. I am very private about it, except here on these forums of course. Because I've reached my goals with MFP and always using the free version, I've never investigated the newer forms of WW.

Ya, this was my experience with WW in the 90s. I worked at a college at the time, and the group was on campus, so coworkers. It was a good group, and the external accountability was helpful. Knowing I was going to be getting up on a scale in front of people on Tuesday really helped keep my weekends in check.

WW also brought a lot of mindfulness to my eating habits, or more accurately, drinking. My goodness did I put it away back then.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't know. To be honest, the only people I've ever known who tried WW couldn't stick with it.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I had success on WW 13 years ago before my last pregnancy. I bought the "At Home" kit that was available at that time. I don't believe they still have "At Home" kits since it's all Online vs Meetings now. At that time the choice was FLEX vs. Core program which is somewhat like Freestyle vs. Simply Filling.

I've dabbled a little here and there since my son was born but haven't ever gotten serious about losing the weight again until now. At one point I was a WW Online member and double tracking on MFP several years back. I found that if I stuck to my "daily points" on WW I ended up around 1000 calories a day at that time, and if I spread my "weekly points" out evenly over my week I landed around 1200-1300 calories. (I'm short and always at the bottom of the calorie/point count).

I liked some of the recipes and articles available with my membership at that time, but I couldn't justify paying when I just wouldn't stick with it. It was completely my issue of resisting what I know I needed to do. I wasn't willing to stick with MFP at that time in my life either. So, here I am at it again. This time, I'm more determined, and I've been successful so far. I didn't sign up for WW this time because my current financial situation doesn't justify the expense. I do use the knowledge I gleaned from them about portion sizes and the 8 Good Health Guidelines that are found freely available to the public on their site.

The point system is designed to help people make better food choices. It's not perfect, but I understand the concepts. I prefer tracking calories.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I chuckle...because I go to read this thread, and there's Oprah on the banner to the right. Not gonna click that "Get Started" button over there.

Yeah she won’t be putting a photo in her Royal Wedding outfit on the WW website - that’s for sure!
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It works short term because the point system results in very low calorie intake. My mom was on Weight Watchers for a few years, lost all the weight she wanted to, but gained it all back because she got sick of calculating points. The points a lot of extra complicated silliness standing in for calorie counting. Yes the points are designed to promote healthy eating, but why not just teach which foods tend to be more satisfying/more nutritional bang for your buck?
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I used WW at the beginning of my weight loss journey. This was like 7 years ago, so the plans may have changed. It helped me learn sustainable habits. Portion control, tracking, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, eat back a portion of exercise points, save up points for days out, etc.

All the same principles I use now. No I didn't need WW. But when I joined I literally knew nothing about losing weight. I was over 300 pounds and depressed. After losing about 100 of that with WW, I felt confident enough to go at it alone and lost the remaining 40 with simple calorie counting.

So for me, WW was definitely a positive experience. I understand the plan is very different now though. It seems they've moved away from the everything in moderation approach. I don't think I necessarily would have been so successful using it now to be honest.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    KM0692 wrote: »
    I signed up for WW (again) and lasted a week. I find it to be so restrictive. A 200 calorie granola bar is 8 points...that is 1/3 of my daily allowance.

I see so many success stories over there...but wow, are they all whole food eaters that never get a craving for something sweet??? :-D

It's successful because people are wired differently. I would guess that WW is not compatible for a lot of dieters because of the restrictions or the logging. Just like moderation and calorie counting diets are not compatible or LCHF, or Vegan, or Clean Eating, or Keto or IF.

All the above diets are healthy (if done correctly) and will work (if calories are consumed in a deficit), but not one of the above will suit everyone.

If you struggled on WW, it's probably not for you. Some people need to try a few different diets to see if its for them. I would suggest though giving whatever you try a decent run (1 week might not be enough).
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! :)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I tried WW, Nutrisystem, medically supervised liquid diets, low fat diets, low carb diets. What works for me is MFP and monitoring my intake - which I will probably have to do for the rest of my life. I've kept the 70 pounds off that I lost several years ago. I've also made dietary choices and changes that work for me -- but what works for me may not work for someone else. A huge part of losing weight and keeping it off is in your head. There's no silver bullet or magical solution in spite of what you'll hear in these forums. If MFP works for you, that's great - but if it doesn't, find something that does.

Regarding "metabolic syndrome": it's a cluster of symptoms that likely don't represent a real "syndrome" in a medical sense. Correlation doesn't mean causation - a higher percentage of alcohol abusers smoke cigarettes compared to the non-abuser population, but that doesn't mean drinking causes smoking (or vice versa). See e.g.:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/28/9/2289.full