how's my diet looking?

Options
I just started with all this dieting stuff. I went from a lot of fast food and 1200 calories a day in soda to this. What type of things are a must for weight loss? How much fiber/protein ect?

Replies

• TabbyLeAnn
    TabbyLeAnn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and you need to up your calories! You should be taking in at least 1200 calories in order to not put yourself into starvation mode.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Exercise is crucial at least 30 minutes 3 times a day. I eat 75-100 grams of protein a day. I try to get 25-35 grams of fiber a day. Make sure you are getting at least 8 cups of water a day.
  • chelsie5791
    chelsie5791 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    yea but it is just not happening. I eat 3 pretty full meals and with a very tiny bit of exercise it is landing me at about 1000 a day.
  • caitlin70433
    Options
    I agree. You need to eat at least 1200 calories. Also, I don't see enough dairy in there. You are young and still building your bones. You could use more fruit and veg, too. More of everything, really.
  • TabbyLeAnn
    Options
    Pretty sure my diary is on public. Check out some of the things I eat. I push myself to eat at least 1200 a day. If it were left up to me without counting calories, I'd only be at 800 most days.

A lot of the foods I have aren't THAT great, but it helps me get my calories in.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    25g fiber per day, 25-30% protein per day.
  • chelsie5791
    Options
    Well as far as dairy goes i completely cut cheese out of my diet since I ALWAYS go overboard with it. I guess i could pick up a couple glasses of milk and a thing of yougart a day?
  • jalexander01
    Options
    need to make sure you are eating all the calories that MFP is telling you that you need, and drink 8 glasses of water a day and it is very important that you are exercising at least 30 min, and you should never skip meals always eat something'
  • chelsie5791
    Options
    I am bad at skipping meals. That is always how i dieted pre-baby. Well that and skipping the soda. After I got pregnant though i quit all dieting, and after teh baby, I had a lot of extra weight
  • TabbyLeAnn
    Options
    Well as far as dairy goes i completely cut cheese out of my diet since I ALWAYS go overboard with it. I guess i could pick up a couple glasses of milk and a thing of yougart a day?

Yogurt is a great choice for extra calories!! Some milk is good as well. I feel you on the cheese part... I love it.
  • TabbyLeAnn
    Options
    I am bad at skipping meals. That is always how i dieted pre-baby. Well that and skipping the soda. After I got pregnant though i quit all dieting, and after teh baby, I had a lot of extra weight

Ahh Postpartum weight is the worst!! I'm still working off both my kids. One turning 3 at the end of the month and one who is 8 months. Before my son, I was 170. After my daughter, I was 266 and then watching calories and making sure I eat the calories that MFP tells me to... I'm at 237.
  • chelsie5791
    Options
    well after only a very short time dieting I lost 4 lbs. Probley due to how bad my diet was before. It was worse then you can imagine. I am hoping to get my baby weight off, plus 50 lbs.
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Eat the food pyramid...
    DON'T do fad diets
    DON'T starve or try to loose too much too fast. It took YEARS to get where you are, take it off slow to keep it off.

EXERCISE regularly. I believe you should do something that YOU enjoy doing. Don't do an exercise program that you hate. I like walking and riding my bike and gardening so that is what I do.

GOOD LUCK!
  • TabbyLeAnn
    Options
    well after only a very short time dieting I lost 4 lbs. Probley due to how bad my diet was before. It was worse then you can imagine. I am hoping to get my baby weight off, plus 50 lbs.

You can do it :) Feel free to add me for some support! I'll be your cheerleader
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I would suggest upping your cals...for the sake of your metabolism. In the beginning it may feel like you're forcing yourself to eat but as your metabolism goes back to regular, it'll just feel like a normal amount of food. The scientifically agreed upon number is "1200" to keep you out of starvation mode, which is generally reasonable for most people. Our bodies are pretty efficient and will adjust to the level that you are putting in it now but you'll soon see that you can't lose anymore at that rate. It also gives you a very low rate of nutrients and you'll start losing muscle & cardiac health.. which can be VERY bad long term. Your diet and exercise regimen is 80% diet and 20% exercise... so what you fuel your body with is definitely important. The general rule of thumb that I go by is the closer to nature it was made, the better. I eat minimally processed foods, so if it is stuffed with preservatives so that it takes forever to go bad (cookies / chips / frozen dinners / etc), it probably isn't a good idea. Fruits, veggies, lean meats & complex carbs should be your best friends. I also eat low on the glycemic index food list.

If you haven't read these yet, check the links on this thread out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

You're welcome to add me if you're looking for support/answers. Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • chelsie5791
    Options
    Thank you very much. So is it 1200 not counting exersise? And how does everyone feel about diet pills? Diexatrim max? Yes? no? maybe?
  • TabbyLeAnn
    Options
    Thank you very much. So is it 1200 not counting exersise? And how does everyone feel about diet pills? Diexatrim max? Yes? no? maybe?

I'm not too big on diet pills. In my opinion, most cause more harm than good. I did use the slimquick drink powder... that wasn't bad.