How much protein is too much ??

undermajorconstruction
undermajorconstruction Posts: 88 Member
edited October 1 in Introduce Yourself
I wonder if I am taking in too much protein. I take twice the recommended amount everyday single day. I don't mean to but it kind of adds up on me by dinnertime. I know that protein is great for muscle recovery when strength training (which I am doing) but I don't want to do more damage than good.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    I eat 75-100 grams a day sometime a little more. This was the recommendation of my nutritionist.
  • Asmik
    Asmik Posts: 3
    My physician told me that going slightly over protein (about 20-30% of allowed) is just fine. You just have to make sure you do not go double of the allowed protein for a prolonged period of time because then your body will go into ketosis.
  • Eating more than 25-30 grams per serving is a waste. Your body can't break it down.
  • Eating more than 25-30 grams per serving is a waste. Your body can't break it down.

that's a myth :)

1g of protein pr lb of bodyweight is the standard! or even 1.5g if ur looking to build and maintain muscle.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    From Mayo Clinic:

Recommendation: Get 10 to 35 percent of your total daily calories from protein. Protein has 4 calories a gram. Based on a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet, this amounts to about 200 to 700 calories a day, or about 50 to 175 grams a day. Emphasize plant sources of protein, such as beans, lentils, soy products and unsalted nuts. Include seafood twice a week. Meat, poultry and dairy products should be lean or low fat.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Eating more than 25-30 grams per serving is a waste. Your body can't break it down.

1g of protein pr lb of bodyweight is the standard! or even 1.5g if ur looking to build and maintain muscle.

Agreed!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I've read everywhere that 25-30% of your diet should be from protein when you're on a calorie deficit diet.
  • killagb
    My physician told me that going slightly over protein (about 20-30% of allowed) is just fine. You just have to make sure you do not go double of the allowed protein for a prolonged period of time because then your body will go into ketosis.

Ketosis is about carbs, not protein.
  • My physician told me that going slightly over protein (about 20-30% of allowed) is just fine. You just have to make sure you do not go double of the allowed protein for a prolonged period of time because then your body will go into ketosis.

Accordng to the late great Dr. Atkins...Ketosis is a good thing. Your body is burning /melting fat! I even bought urine (ketosis) strips to measure the amount of ketones in my urine. The more the merrier. Thats why low carb high protein diets are so popular. They are very effective!
  • Madrow
    Madrow Posts: 62
    I'm not sure of the numbers, but way too much protein can cause bone density loss, and this was a major concern among doctors during the Atkin's diet craze. The extra protein can't be used and broken down, and the only way the body can get rid of it is by using calcium to carry it out in your urine. This can lead to a calcium deficiency, and though it's rare to get toxic levels of protein (but not impossible) it's also hard to not get enough. Protein is found in everything except fat, sugar, and water. Still, if you're trying to build muscle, a bit more is better, especially if you are on a super low-cal diet.
  • Ok. I average about 70 to 90 grams I believe...i'd have to look at my diary again from day one. but i forgot about the beans. my main source is from salmon, fish, chicken, shrimp, lean beef, eggs. I also eat seeds and nuts.
  • killagb
    Ok. I average about 70 to 90 grams I believe...i'd have to look at my diary again from day one. but i forgot about the beans. my main source is from salmon, fish, chicken, shrimp, lean beef, eggs. I also eat seeds and nuts.

You aren't eating too much then. You're fine on your amount.

Based on this:
    Recommendation: Get 10 to 35 percent of your total daily calories from protein. Protein has 4 calories a gram. Based on a 2,000-calorie-a-day diet, this amounts to about 200 to 700 calories a day, or about 50 to 175 grams a day. Emphasize plant sources of protein, such as beans, lentils, soy products and unsalted nuts. Include seafood twice a week. Meat, poultry and dairy products should be lean or low fat.

Then you are around 1500 cals a day...which is 75% of 2000, 75% of 175g is 131.25g of protein. You're fine.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    MFP's settings are really low, like 15%. I changed mine to 30%. I try to get a minimum of 130. 1gram for every pound of lean body mass.
  • Awesome thx!
  • Ok. I average about 70 to 90 grams I believe...i'd have to look at my diary again from day one. but i forgot about the beans. my main source is from salmon, fish, chicken, shrimp, lean beef, eggs. I also eat seeds and nuts.

You aren't eating too much then. You're fine on your amount.

Based on this:

Then you are around 1500 cals a day...which is 75% of 2000, 75% of 175g is 131.25g of protein. You're fine.

Great! This good to know. Thx!

So at 1850 calories per day, and weighing over 200 pounds currently...if I am understanding this correctly, I can eat a whole lot of protein...???
  • jmeirow
    jmeirow Posts: 5 Member
    If you go to google and type in "How much protein should I eat" you well get several results, most of which are the same (depending on your gender, etc)
This discussion has been closed.