craving everytime i diet/ everytime i try i fail

Options
sej1990
sej1990 Posts: 96 Member
Every single time I try to diet or attempt to lose weight i crave chocolate and idk y and i wish it would stop, i was told that if you crave something don't ignore it because it will only get worse in the long run so have a tad bit of your craving and that should do but its to the point where idk how to stop myself and i always stop exercising and i give up. any tips for me trying again?

Replies

• sommernani
    sommernani Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel the EXACT same way, like I am ALWAYS restarting and trying yet again to loose the weight. I also feel that as soon as I try and put a restriction on something I eat then that is exactly what I want. What I've been doing lately is trying to find better substitutes for things I love. But if I get obsessive I allow myself to eat what I really want, I just make sure to log it down for the FULL calories and size and be honest and then try and do a little more exercise or eat a little less somewhere else or skip a snack later. But I struggle with it every day and I am still trying to get over the feeling of failure too.
  • Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    I keep a pack of the Dove Dark Chocolate Promises on hand but put away in a drawer where I don't see them every time I open the cabinet! Then if I'm really craving chocolate I will allow myself one or two pieces...they're only around 47 (ish) calories a piece and they're just rich enough that a couple usually satisfies my craving!
  • bellamills
    bellamills Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow frozen desserts(Mint Truffle is amazing), & the 90 calorie 3 Musketeer ice cream bars in my freezer. You really can fit these in for those days you are craving chocolate. There are also chocolate rice cakes, but a tablespoon of peanut butter on them!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Your body may be lacking magnesium... :flowerforyou:
  • methetree
    methetree Posts: 381
    Options
    when I started this process I decided I would eat whatever I wanted, as long as I stayed within my calories..

If I eat a half a sheet cake, then I go hungry for the rest of the day LOL. but I get to eat what i want.

So far, I have lost, stuck with it, learned along the way and the cravings have not gotten the best of me.

sure, I have days where I want to eat everything, but I go for a walk, do an extra work out, or whatever and eat something bad and the next day is new and I do better.

if you really want to change your lifestyle, you can. it's all about choices.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Portion control helps if you must fill the craving each time, eat just a little bit less or when you get a craving eat something healthy first and then a smaller portion of the food you are craving. It’s all about being consistent in your exercise and healthy eating.
  • mrmurfman
    Options
    i did that before i started using this site i would get to the same place and just have to pig out and gain it all back. i found out i wasnt eating enough so when i started eating right i got below that point and im still loosing. no cravings now either.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    A bit part of successful weight loss is to break old habits. When ever you have a hunger pain or a craving, try to ignore it for at least 20-30 minutes and eat something more healthy. Write it down in your food diary. Do NOT tell yourself that you are eliminating your craved food from your diet, but make a promise to yourself that you will TEMPORARILY try to avoid eating your problem foods for whatever period of time you think you can tolerate....two weeks or a month? Many times, when you practice these changes of habits, you find out that you don't have the cravings as often or as strongly.

With that said, if you are craving sweet things, limit your intake of carbs to less than 100 grams per day and each serving of food should have 12 grams or less of sugar.

Be careful of Low Fat and Fat Free items because they often have very high carbs and/or sugar.

Eat three smaller meals and learn to listen to your body when it says that it is not hungry any more. Instead, add two snacks per day that are healthy....protein shakes, fruit (my doctor thinks we should eat two apples a day, every day-LOL!)

Try to go to bed by midnight as the later night hours bring much stronger hunger cravings that are harder to control.

See if any of these things help. Stay positive.

Decide that no matter how many times you take a step off the path, you will return to it immediately. You can step off several times a day, but every time you make a healthy choice, it's better than if you had given up entirely. Credit yourself for your good choices!! Take pleasure in each and every small achievement, such as filling out your diary or pre-planning your meals and snacks....even if you don't stick to them in the long run. When you DO follow a planned menu, give yourself LOTS of credit.

Plan non-food rewards and stop abusing food....it isn't a reward.
    Good luck!!!!
  • sej1990
    sej1990 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your strength and help and I know you guys can do anything you put your mind to now i got to do the same :^)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I keep a pack of the Dove Dark Chocolate Promises on hand but put away in a drawer where I don't see them every time I open the cabinet! Then if I'm really craving chocolate I will allow myself one or two pieces...they're only around 47 (ish) calories a piece and they're just rich enough that a couple usually satisfies my craving!

Those are freaking wonderful. I keep mine in the freezer (so my kids won't find them).