Birds Eye Veggie pasta/'tots'?

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower tots are pretty good with salad dressing. Can't help you on the pasta.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I tried the tots, they weren't bad. They were a bit different in texture than regular tots, and definitely tasted like cauliflower to me. If I bought them again, it would be as a different way to have cauliflower, not as a potato replacement.

Haven't tried the pasta and probably won't, I'm pretty picky about pasta texture :blush:
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I don't see how those tator tots are that much better than regular tots. Calorie wise the cauliflower ones are higher in calories. 10 regular tator tots are about 160 cals, 16 cals / tot. 6 of these cauliflower ones are 130, so about 22 per tot. I'd rather eat regular ones and have a side of cauliflower.

Excellent point!! I don't do tater tots often and hadn't gone to look at the calorie content for comparison. Thank you for pointing this out. Per gram/serving, the potato ones are 30c higher, but that's not enough to justify substituting them, in my mind.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've tried the different pasta varieties and didn't really like the taste of it. I also didn't find it to be much better calorie-wise than regular pasta. I pawned it off onto my 10 year old and he ate it (because he eats everything) but thought it was kind of meh. I think he said he liked the marinara one the best.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I have tried the green giant cauliflower tots - which are a bit better calorie wise. 110 calories for 6 tots. I thought they were decent but probably would not buy them again unless they were on sale.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't see how those tator tots are that much better than regular tots. Calorie wise the cauliflower ones are higher in calories. 10 regular tator tots are about 160 cals, 16 cals / tot. 6 of these cauliflower ones are 130, so about 22 per tot. I'd rather eat regular ones and have a side of cauliflower.

Seriously... it's like vegetable fries all over. Just because it's not potato, people assume it's better for you, when really most of the calories come from the oil and frying anyway...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Seriously... it's like vegetable fries all over. Just because it's not potato, people assume it's better for you, when really most of the calories come from the oil and frying anyway...

I eat vegan meals occasionally that are higher calories than their meat counter-parts. Calories are not the only deciding factor if I want to try something new or different.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I like the spinach and lentil Alfredo. It's not a huge difference to regular pasta calorie-wise, but packs more protein and this one is quite tasty. https://www.birdseye.com/product/spinach-lentil-pasta/
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I haven’t tried the birds eye, but we switched to the Barilla veggie pasta about 6 months ago and, once you put sauce on it, you can’t tell the difference. Of course I think it’s only 1/4 (maybe 1/3?) veggies. I like the tomato/carrot one more (the penne), but my kids and wife like spaghetti so we get that one. Zucchini and something.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If you check the calorie info they're not much different than the regular.
  • onefortypoint6
    onefortypoint6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like the Green Giant broccoli and cheddar tots cooked extra crispy with cottage cheese. I don’t like them plain though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,639 Member
    Options
    I prefer dried chickpea/lentil pasta (brands like Banza or Tolerant) with my own sauces/toppings to the frozen Birdseye one, for similar calories/macros. The frozen/reheated pasta has a little worse texture IMO, and I can get lots more yum and nutrition into a home-made sauce/topping for the same calories . . . but I like cooking, so YMMV.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Love the pasta! A little too high in calories in my opinion, but okay as far as taste and surprisingly filling as well. Unfortunately it’s hard to find where I live and I have yet to see the tots anywhere. I’ll be on the lookout!