Too late to eat?

Options
What is the latest I should eat at night? My husband is determined that you will not lose weight if you eat too late at night. I am not concerned with indigestion I just wonder if I hurt my diet eating healthy choices late at night.

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I avoid eating just before bed because it gives me reflux if I lay down after eating too close to bed.

But the whole "don't eat after 7 etc" junk is just a myth. So base it on what you feel comfortable with. I often have a snack at 9pm but I don't go to bed til 11-11:30.
  • Brooke6199
    Options
    As long as it ddoesn't bother you nor put you over your goal for the day then I say eat whenever you want! It all boils down to the calories!
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's not good to eat after 9pm. I try to stick to that...doesn't always happen, but that's what I generally aim for. That's usually an hour and a half to two hours before I actually go to bed.
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    i struggled with this question too and found that for me cutting off calories two hours before bedtime seemed good. so depending on the day of the week or what i have going on, i don't set a specific time to end the eating for the day. in addition, the type of food seemed to matter. for example, a snack of toast or cereal was light and satisfying; whereas, a heavy meal did not work out so great for me.

keep us posted on what u discover works for u. all tips are appreciated :-)
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If you have the calories for it, then for weight loss it doesn't matter when you eat. I almost always budget my calories to include a midnight snack, and except for my sprained-ankle week where I stopped logging entirely, I've lost 1 to 1.5 lbs every week (right within my goal loss.)

I've noticed I eat more when I deprive myself and go to bed hungry... I think I'd actually have more problems with weight loss if I had a "not after 8 PM" rule... for some people, that probably works great for whatever reason, but for me it would be self-sabotage to set that up as a goal.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am proof that eating late does'nt prevent you from loosing weight. I usually snack at night on fresh fruit and cottage cheese or a snack bar or something made by "Kashi". This is why I keep fresh fruit and veggies in the house! But, anyways, I have lost 95 lbs since August 1st of 2010 and I eat anytime. I usually try not to eat within a hour to bedtime though b/c some foods upset my tummy.