Soy cause of thyroid problems???!!

Options
does soy stuff up ur thyroid or not? I know there's not enough research to prove either way... What are your experiences with it has it caused u problems?? Slowing down metabolism, stuffing up thyroid etc

Replies

• LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I used to powerlift and used soy protein exclusively to the tune of about 210 grams per day.. I never saw thryroid related issues, but the one big thing I noticed was total remission of my endometriosis while I was on it. I believe I took enough of it that if it was going to cause any side effects, I'd have experienced them.
  • tmptina
    tmptina Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem with soy and I have a hypo thyroid. It took a few years for my body to get used to the meds, now I feel normal! I used to feel like I was going crazy, lol!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I know of several friends who had thyroid cancer and doctors told them it was from soy.....
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem with soy and I have a hypo thyroid. It took a few years for my body to get used to the meds, now I feel normal! I used to feel like I was going crazy, lol!

Tell me about it!! My marriage almost went to crap because of my up and down moods.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I know of several friends who had thyroid cancer and doctors told them it was from soy.....

I've NEVER had any soy milk in my entire life and I had thyroid cancer.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

I've NEVER had any soy milk in my entire life and I had thyroid cancer.

I'm sorry to hear that! I think it's one of those things like smoking. some people smoke their whole lives and never get lung cancer, and others who never picked up a cig get it....
  • FoxWilkinson
    FoxWilkinson Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a Hypothyroid about a year ago, and my doctor actually recomended the protein from soy. Over whey or red meats, soy is better for my body because it will absorb soy better. When I brought up the soy/thyroid connections, she said it's different with every person, but Hypothyroid's low iron makes getting more protein essencial.

So I enjoy my choclate soy milk, and my soy tazo chai latte. :)