Do you still lose weight when you have a cheat day?

Options
I would like to have a cheat day every weekend, where I enjoy the foods I used to enjoy. Have any of you done this and still lost weight?

Replies

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I didn’t. I did, however, lose most of the weight I was looking to lose while having a “cheat” weekend each month. It was helpful for events, holidays, etc., not to go completely crazy but just to have a couple of days where I wasn’t thinking about logging or macros or steps.

I’m pretty close to my goal now and have been doing one of those every two weeks lately, which is probably how I’ll handle maintenance as well.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    luvmakidz wrote: »
    I would like to have a cheat day every weekend, where I enjoy the foods I used to enjoy. Have any of you done this and still lost weight?

I have flexible calorie choices on weekends, but not cheat days. I still count ALL calories Sun-Sat enjoying what I want through varying my diet how I want.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I lose weight still eating foods I enjoy.

I don't have cheat days or meals.

^Pretty much this for me too.
    All foods in moderation on the road to maintaining a healthy weight. Changing my habits for portion control and staying within my calorie allotment. Paying attention to choices I make regarding food.

Yes OP, you can have cheat days and still lose weight as long as you continue on plan after your cheat day and don't let cheat days turn into cheat weeks.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I like to prepare for when I go out for wings or drinks. I'll do a double at 9Rounds to earn the good stuff.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I lose weight still eating foods I enjoy.

I don't have cheat days or meals.

this
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I stay at my deficit during weekdays, and on weekends I eat closer to maintenance (my deficit is about 1400 calories/day, and on weekends it's about 2000). It may slow my weight loss, but it gives me some freedom for my crazy weekends. I'm still careful to stay under my maintenance calories, so either way, I'm not gaining anything. I've lost over 70lbs doing this. A similar plan may give you a little more leeway to fit in foods that you've cut out.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I usually push the boat out for one meal a week, possibly two, on different days. As it turns out, fries and salty volume don't agree with me much any more and I am sort of off the booze too so I am limited in the easy damage I can do but give me a fresh french loaf and some sides and ooh yes. I am in maintenance and have found that running a slight deficit most days (1-200 cals) takes care of whatever extra cals I indulge in if it's only once a week or maybe twice.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I still eat all the foods I enjoyed, within my weekly calories. No need for cheating.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

Look at it as simple math. If you're trying to lose 1lb per week, that equates to 3500 calories you have to deduct from your maintenance calories. So if you maintain your weight on 2000 calories a day, then you would need to deduct 500/day or average a deduction of 3500 calories a week to lose that 1lb. So if you eat 1500 calories a day six days a week then give yourself a cheat day and eat 2000 calories over what you should, you really only had a deficit of 1000 calories which means you aren't going to lose that 1lb you were expecting to lose. This is why cheat days are a bad idea. They tend to derail all your efforts making the struggle harder.

Instead, eat what you want but stay in your calorie goal 7 days a week. Exercise to gain more calories to eat, and then you can eat more of the foods you liked before and not need a cheat day.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I have days when I eat closer to my maintenance allowance (and sometimes a little over). These would be my cheat days I guess.

But personally I've been trying to not limit what I can eat, but focus more on the amount of it. If I want some cake, I'll have some cake, but it'll only be a small amount.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It all comes down to the numbers. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight. For weight loss, the type of food you eat doesn't matter, only calories. You may do better to find a way to incorporate foods you enjoy into your diet regularly, rather than reserving them for a special day.