5 years ago and Now?

Options
SarahofTwins
SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
5 years ago....... I was a single gal working full-time and hung out with the wrong crowd. Always the same things of going out, drinking and partying. At that time I wanted to change and have my goals of falling in love, owning a house, and having children....but also my career.

Now .......I'm married to the love of my life, found a home we own, and have 3 wonderful children including twins. Most of my goals were accomplished but the only one is career which I'm going to start at the end of the year....talk about most of them being accomplished.

Where were you 5 years ago compared to now?

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    8 months pregnant with my first child! Yeah, it August. Fun times.
  • MarchelleLynne
    MarchelleLynne Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    great testimony!! great job you are truley blessed girl!
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    WOW... You look GREAT.
  • stc74
    stc74 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Five years ago i was about 10 pounds heavier than I am right now which is sad. I was battling debilitating back pain from two collapsed discs, but didn't know the cause for a few more months. I missed the first three weeks of the school year after just tripping up the stairs. Since then I had surgery to correct it with two fusions, and lost a lot of weight but in dealing with my Dad battling cancer and losing him, I gained so much weight back.

I'm here to lose it again.

Life has been a roller coaster. Still on a down slope, hoping to head up again.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    5 years ago, I was married... living with my then wife... working at a cell center and living day to day money wise....

Now I have my own place downtown, seperated, money isnt an issue... car too :) love it!
  • Dinob661
    Dinob661 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    5 years ago I just graduated high school.... I had quit the Basketball team 2 years before that.... I got lazy... I gained massive amount of weight. From the beginning of HS to the end of HS I went from 195lbs to 290+lbs....

5years later I went from my peak weight of 299.7lbs (never hit 300. lol) to 219 (and still losing weight). I am 2 semesters away from getting my BS in Accountancy. I have been working at the same job for 5 years. I own my own car outright. Will soon be looking for my own place......

I think things are looking really good since 5 years ago.... I might even start looking for a Semi-Pro league to play basketball in soon.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    5 years ago my sis called me the "no commitment girl -- No house, No spouse, No kids, No car, No job"
    Now, I've got 3 out of 5.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    5 years ago I had just graduated from univ with my Bachelors in Architecture and a Bachelors of Science in Environmental Design. I was working at my current firm as an intern and I am still there. I was single and happy with life and still 50lbs overweight. Today I am married, have a 18 month old and I've lost 15lbs from the 61lbs I need to lose. I am happy, life is good.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Well, if you asked the question of where was I 20 years ago, my answer would seem more dramatic. However, I finished grad school in '91 and had 10 years in corporate labor relations, and then I quit the easy job for the more demanding one; full-time family management. I'm still in the family management business, but over the past 5 years there have been some changes.

In the past 5 years we moved from San Diego to Dallas and (happily) BACK to San Diego again--even back to the same neighborhood!

I am still married to the same wonderful man, and I still have 3 adorable sons; however they are no longer babies and now I also have an adorable daughter--also, no longer a baby--she is 3 years old!

Much of my life is the same (a good thing), including my weight (although I did gain 15 lbs. last year, but have lost 13 of it now). However, as the boys are now all in school, and my daughter is now in preschool, I am starting to taste just a bit of something I haven't had in a very long time . . . FREEDOM!!!

Over the past few years I have been able to begin (or return) to some of my favorite activities, which I had, of necessity, forgone for many years during diaper duty. Right now i wouldn't trade my lifestyle for anything! I am blessed to have great kids, a supportive husband and pursue all the hobbies and sports that I enjoy.
  • inconversant
    Options
    5 years ago I was close to 200 pounds, I was depressed, miserable, angst-y.
    I was a typical teenager, hating everything. haha

5 years later, 20+ pounds lighter, a fairly happy university student.
    ...still get angsty though. :P
  • txmike64
    txmike64 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    5 years ago: 210 lb, 18% BF, running 3 miles per day.

Ankle injuries, and weight gain beta-blocker medications later - 272 and plump where 42w pants are getting too tight and can't run 1/8 mile. And only lasting 15 minutes on gym equipment. Throw in aggravation from pain from Tietze's Syndrome and sternum inflammation and massive GERD requiring you to be propped up at night and not being kept at bay by maximum doses of Nexium and Zantac together.

20 pounds lost, relieved 75% of the symptoms of the GERD and reduced the duration and frequency of the Tietze's pain (but not the intensity :( ), and having 50 minutes endurance at cardio activities helps.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    5 years ago, I was just starting high school. Fresh out of cheerleading for 8 years, in the best shape of my life. But I was depressed, shy, and a bit anti-social.

Now, I'm 20lbs heavier, but happy! :) I'm getting back into shape, and I'm no longer depressed or shy and I have a small group of great friends.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    5 years ago, I was 20 years old, in my freshman year of community college, working at a job I absolutely hated, and living in an apartment in another state with my now-ex, and was just a miserable, negative person with no confidence whatsoever.

Now, I'm 25, living back home in Florida, starting up at a new university next month. I'm not working, but concentrating on my studies full-time. I have an amazing boyfriend, and we plan on marrying once I graduate in about 2 years. I feel like I've truly found my other half. :) We have our own home, and I'm now eating healthier (birthday celebrations don't count! haha), exercising regularly, and not only is my other half...well...my other half, he encourages healthy eating and exercising! I'm a happy person, full of energy and no longer miserable or negative. I feel like I've started to find my place in the world, and things are looking up for the best more and more. :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I was just starting high school five years ago. I lived in FL. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, drank, smoked pot, and hung out with all the wrong kids.

Now, I have a part-time job with great co-workers, go to school part-time for medical assisting, which I LOVE, I live in Connecticut with the most amazing man in the world, have an adorable puppy of our own, and am on my way to losing weight. Oh, and no, I don't drink or do drugs! That got left behind when I realized my "friends" were the wrong kind of people! Life is good :)
  • shasslock
    Options
    5 years ago, I was still recovering from a little hurricane called Katrina...just bought a new house, met a new man, bought a new car. I was over 300 pounds.
    Today, that house is for sale, that car's air is broken, that man moved to Dallas and I'm 100 pounds smaller :).