Food Passing too Quickly? (TMI)

Options
ftsolk
ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
To preface this, I understand that most people on this website are not medical professionals and cannot give medical advice here. However, I am currently in between insurance and cannot see a doctor at this time, so I figured I would at least do some research on my own.

For a while now, I've been concerned that the food I eat is passing through quicker than it should. Say I eat something like corn which you can definitely see coming out. I can see evidence of that as little as 4-5 hours after eating it. I have also seen other food pass through undigested within hours of eating.

No diarrhea- at least, not anything that is overly concerning.. I'm not losing weight rapidly, and I'm not having any kind of cramping or stomach pains. The only thing that I've noticed is that when I am on a "diet"/healthy eating plan, I am hungry ALL the time. I've always thought it was purely psychological, but maybe there's a reason why eating junk food keeps me full where eating a diet full of lean proteins, healthy fats, and fruits/veggies leaves me feeling so hungry.

I know part of the problem may be because I eat so quickly- a habit I was working so hard to break before starting a retail job. I probably don't chew my food enough before swallowing. However, I'm also thinking there may be additional factors involved, and I'm wondering if there could be something going on that is affecting my ability to stay on track with any kind of weight loss plan. I usually get so hungry after a few weeks that I end up binging because I cannot stand the hunger (we're talking stomach growling, light-headed, legitimate hunger).

I'm just wondering what might be going on and if there are any simple things I can do to improve things. More probiotics (a supplement, yogurt, kombucha)? Trying to chew food more thoroughly? Apple cider vinegar or lemon water? The first and last should be fairly easy- though I don't think I can avoid drinking water with meals which I heard is really bad for you.

But how do you slow down your eating and take the time to chew your food more thoroughly when you only have 10-15 minutes to drink any water and eat lunch some days? I've gotten more into things like Rx Bars and protein shakes (Trader Joe's Vanilla Pea Protein with Ripple Unsweetened Pea Milk- I may also make green smoothies with unsweetened protein powder) which means I can at least get some healthy fats and a dose of protein in a short period of time, but I still feel like I eat way too quickly, and even though it's only a few times a week now, it's hard for me to go back and forth between rushing to eat and eating slowly.

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    So why do you think 4-5 hours is too fast?

• ftsolk
    Options

Multiple articles saying food is supposed to take 25-72 hours on average to go through your digestive system, so 4-5 hours seems a little fast for food to pass through.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Drinking water with your meals is NOT bad. Not sure where you heard that, but it's wrong.

I know you have a brief period of time to eat, but yes, try to slow down and fully chew your food. For one thing, it helps you eat less and more importantly, your meal is more enjoyable because you enjoy the flavors, textures, etc.

As far as the digestive issues, that's best left to a doctor.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Our bodies don't digest insoluble fiber so it's very normal to see undigested food like corn in your poop
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

As I recall it should take 6-8 hours before the food even makes it to the large intestine.

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Hi Ftsolk. I can't answer your digestive tract questions, but in regards to getting enough to eat on work break:

When I worked retail I would either take in ready meals from grocery store, or cook up a box of pasta on my day off and divide into lunch pots for the week. I can get at least 5 meals out of one box of pasta, depending on the type.

It takes me 15 mins to chew and eat my pasta serving, and it kept me full enough. To save time I would put my lunch in the microwave, use restroom while it heated (bathroom was right next to breakroom), then eat and go back up to work. For the pasta, I would wash the fishes when i got home, so no time needed to clean.
  • singingflutelady
    edited May 2018
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

As I recall it should take 6-8 hours before the food even makes it to the large intestine.

On average but some things move through much faster than others. I have an ileostomy ( so my food exits after going through my small intestine only) but see some food (mostly salad and vegetables) within 15 minutes of eating it.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I can eat corn at lunch time and see it the next morning (less than 24 hours later) are you sure the corn you're seeing isn't from the day before? Do a test. Eat corn as early as you can in the day after not eating any for a few days and then note when you first see it.
    If you're hungry a lot are you eating enough?
    I've noticed when I eat a lot of fibre food seems to pass through me quicker.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I can eat corn at lunch time and see it the next morning (less than 24 hours later) are you sure the corn you're seeing isn't from the day before? Do a test. Eat corn as early as you can in the day after not eating any for a few days and then note when you first see it.

This
  • ftsolk
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

This

I'm sure it's the same corn since I typically eat corn maybe once every 3-4 months. It's pretty easy to figure out if the corn I'm seeing 4-5 hours after eating it is the same corn when the last time I had corn before that was months prior.

And what is "eating enough?" I'm often going over my calories or WW points.If anything, I'm eating TOO MUCH.
    Our bodies don't digest insoluble fiber so it's very normal to see undigested food like corn in your poop

I get that, but I'm seeing things like that only a few hours after a meal.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If it's passing through relatively Identifiably, you aren't really digesting it. So, it's not going through as much processing, and doesn't take as much time to pass. If you aren't spastic, in pain or having signs of malnutrition, it's probably nothing to worry about.
    If TOO MUCH food isn't being digested properly, however, which could explain constant hunger as well, it is probably in your best interest to get it checked out. That could be a sign of much more serious issue, and needs to be addressed now, before it becomes more severe.
  • no6016
    no6016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    TMI maybe but I go at least 2x a day, my morning situation is a couple of trips then in the afternoon since I started eating much much better than I used to eat. I think your schedule seems fine! All bodies are different.