not sure if this is OK

Options
I have been taking a group fitness class, and today the routine made me question the philosophy.

I started at this new place on Monday, and by Tuesday night I had a recurrence of two strain type injuries that hadn't been a problem in a while, so I took Wednesday and Thursday off, but the shoulder issue is still bothering me.

Today they had two circuits with 3 exercises in each circuit and you did one circuit for 10 minutes where you just cycled through as many cycles of the exercises as you could for the 10. When the ten was up you did the same thing again with the other circuit which had 3 different exercises.

So the first circuit was a bench press using dumbells, a weighted reverse lunge, and this thing where you put your feet in the TRX and keeping your bum off the floor you would pull your feet up to your chest then back again. So you would do 10 bench presses, then 10 lunges, then 10 of the TRX, then that cycle again and again for 10 minutes. Second circuit had barbell bicep curls, some thing where a rubber strap was tied to a high bar and then I had to straight arm push it down, and lifting one side of a barbell with one arm in a bent over row position.

I am no expert, but I am not sure how any of this is beneficial for my body. If I lift my maxweight I will fatigue well before the 10 minutes is up, but as I understand it low weight with high reps is pointless.
Adding to my concern is that the other stuff we did earlier in the week resulted in a resurgence of old pains that had gone away and hadn't been a problem in either of the programs I had done before this place. Can't go back to those programs unfortunately one shuttered the location near me and the other was about double the price of most and I just can't afford at this time.

Anyone with insight please help me out.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It sound like a well balanced full body workout. There is nothing wrong with circuit training per se but different things work for different people. It's obviously not a heavy lifting program if that's what you want. You also may need to modify exercises or take some breaks.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    lakinapook wrote: »
    I have been taking a group fitness class, and today the routine made me question the philosophy.

I started at this new place on Monday, and by Tuesday night I had a recurrence of two strain type injuries that hadn't been a problem in a while, so I took Wednesday and Thursday off, but the shoulder issue is still bothering me.

Today they had two circuits with 3 exercises in each circuit and you did one circuit for 10 minutes where you just cycled through as many cycles of the exercises as you could for the 10. When the ten was up you did the same thing again with the other circuit which had 3 different exercises.

So the first circuit was a bench press using dumbells, a weighted reverse lunge, and this thing where you put your feet in the TRX and keeping your bum off the floor you would pull your feet up to your chest then back again. So you would do 10 bench presses, then 10 lunges, then 10 of the TRX, then that cycle again and again for 10 minutes. Second circuit had barbell bicep curls, some thing where a rubber strap was tied to a high bar and then I had to straight arm push it down, and lifting one side of a barbell with one arm in a bent over row position.

I am no expert, but I am not sure how any of this is beneficial for my body. If I lift my maxweight I will fatigue well before the 10 minutes is up, but as I understand it low weight with high reps is pointless.
    Adding to my concern is that the other stuff we did earlier in the week resulted in a resurgence of old pains that had gone away and hadn't been a problem in either of the programs I had done before this place. Can't go back to those programs unfortunately one shuttered the location near me and the other was about double the price of most and I just can't afford at this time.

Thats just a generic group fitness class circuit to get people moving and doing some exercises that are good for you. If you are getting sore or aggravating things, slow down and pace yourself, use less weight , you dont have to go max weight in those classes. Challenge yourself but don't hurt yourself.

Low weight high rep is not pointless. If you decide you want to peruse a program that is high weight , low rep, you could do that . Most fitness classes are high rep circuits that combine strength training exercises with endurance/cardio.
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you are still feeling off from those strain injuries coming back then you should avoid using that muscle group until it feels healed up. Afterwards you should look into do some rehabilitation exercises on those muscles to slowly get them back up to par. a Personal trainer or your doctor should be able to recommend some. or you can look on Jeff Cavaliars youtube
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    By chance is this place like a CrossFit or orange theory?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    By chance is this place like a CrossFit or orange theory?

I suspect it’s more of a storefront circuit kind of place. The routine described is pretty lame, even by CrossFit or OTF standards.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lakinapook wrote: »
    I have been taking a group fitness class, and today the routine made me question the philosophy.....

It seems that you got exactly what you asked for. Not sure what you're put off about?