Wanting more protein... need suggestions!

Options
I'm not getting enough protein, in my opinion. And I want to add more protein as well as some variety. Unfortunately I am a super picky eater (which is surprising since I ate myself into obesity :wink:).

My normal rotation includes ground turkey (lean), steak, chicken breasts, pork chops (lean only - I really hate meat fat -its a weird texture thing - told you I was picky), lean turkey sausage, reduced fat turkey hot dogs, & ground beef (leanest I can find). Occasionally I will eat an egg but they aren't my favorite so its rare.

I hate any type of bean (black, pinto, white, baked, etc) and never eat seafood because of 1. the smell of raw fish and 2. being served lobster at age 10 with the body sitting upright on the plate staring at me :huh: (i've never gotten over it). The only seafood I have been able to push past the yuck factor and eat are fried clam strips (which I'm not trying to eat right now) and a specific sushi roll that has crab and salmon in it (but its fried so again I'm not trying to eat that regularly). I have tried shrimp as an adult and yuck I don't get why people eat it. I have also tried different types of tofu and other vegetarian fake meat products :sick:double yuck! I am willing to try actual fish but I have a hard time with the smell so it would have to be a not so smelly fish and a recipe or cooking directions because i have no clue how to cook any kind of fish.

So any idea or suggestions for more protein sources? I know there are a tons of limitations but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Nuts are generally high in protein. And if you're still finding that it's hard to get enough, you can always use a protein shake mix for an extra boost.
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How about salads made with quinoa? It is a whole grain high in protein.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter? Greek yogurt?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    cheese, milk, protein shakes?
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    broccoli is another one that hasn't been mentioned.

I'm also a fan of protein shakes, I use frozen fruit, natural unsweetened applesauce, low fat vanilla yogurt and a scoop of protein powder.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    How about salads made with quinoa? It is a whole grain high in protein.
    Never heard it this one so i had to look it up... It looks interesting I'm going to have to give this one a try for sure
    Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Shalimarmandy
    Options
    Opps I left off cheese and peanut butter - I do eat those I have to watch myself with the cheese because one slice can turn in the entire block!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    1. Greek Yogurt (All flavors of Chobani are awesome)
    2. Nuts, particularly almonds, walnuts, and cashews
    3. Cottage cheese (1 or 2%)
    4. Protein shakes (either meal replacement/augmentation, recovery drink, or night time)
    5. Protein bars. GNC sells these awesome bars that range from 230-300 calories called 2:1 bars that have a net ratio of 2:1 protein to carbs. I have tried the white crispy crunch, oatmeal (like a chocolate oatmeal cookie), granola, and peanut butter/brownie. All taste really good and don't really taste like a classic protein bar.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Options
    5. Protein bars. GNC sells these awesome bars that range from 230-300 calories called 2:1 bars that have a net ratio of 2:1 protein to carbs. I have tried the white crispy crunch, oatmeal (like a chocolate oatmeal cookie), granola, and peanut butter/brownie. All taste really good and don't really taste like a classic protein bar.

Sounds like something try... I have tried different bars before and when they taste like card board I just cant do it
  • solflyer81
    solflyer81 Posts: 119
    Options
    4. Protein shakes (either meal replacement/augmentation, recovery drink, or night time)

Bam
  • jeanie✰
    jeanie✰ Posts: 127
    Options
    quinoa quinoa quinoa MMMMMMMMM!
  • Fletchymama
    Options
    I tend to get too much protein! I usually do:

Boiled eggs(white only)
    Cheese sticks(low fat mozz., so its portioned out for me)
    Grilled Turkey loin (Publix and Wal-mart carries these I know)
    Milk(in smoothies, in cereal...)
    Peanut butter on an apple
    Or if I don't happen to get enough, a protein bar helps.
  • cownancy
    cownancy Posts: 291
    Options
    A year ago I would have bet you good money that I would NEVER EVER be saying this, but......I love my protein shakes. There are tons of them on the market and you have to read the labels. Make sure you use 100% Whey protein and you cannot absorb more than 30 g of protein at one time, so stick to 30 g and below. Look for LOW carbs and little or no sugar. You can get them premixed or you can buy the powder.

I have been drinking the Costo brand Premier which is an 11 ounce premixed shake with 30 g of protein. I love them nice and cold so I keep them in the fridge and drink them in a nice cold glass. Sometimes I put them in the magic bullet with some ice.

If you get vanilla whey protein powder, you can add fruits and skim milk and make all sorts of flavors. You can add the vanilla protein powder and milk to sugar free instant pudding, too.

Premier are full meal replacement shakes and I take one every morning and it keeps me full until my mid-morning snack. If I am craving food at this time of night and think I can't sleep, I'll have another.

People also love some of the Muscle Milk shakes. I haven't tried them yet, but I will.
    I also purchased Bariatric Advantage powder online and loved both the strawberry and banana powders...YUMMY with skim millk and the magic bullet to froth them up, even though you CAN save calories by making them with water.

Lean meat is also an excellent source of protein without the carbs. Chicken, too.
    My food plan is based on eating 80 grams of protein a day and eating protein first at every meal. It's my friend according to my doctor!
  • PRbyLynn
    Options
    Kroger sells pure protein bars 10 for 10 all the time. They have a variety of flavors. most have 19g of protein. I found making smoothies with yogurt, fruit, ice cubes works real well. The family loves them too. Greek yogurt is quite high in sugar if I am not mistaken. Kroger also has CARBmaster yogurt which is what I use. THey have several flavors as well, and I don't like yogurt (texture thing) I eat it. I had the bariatric bypass and have several suggestions for different things since I go to support groups and get suggestions from others.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Options
    A year ago I would have bet you good money that I would NEVER EVER be saying this, but......I love my protein shakes. There are tons of them on the market and you have to read the labels. Make sure you use 100% Whey protein and you cannot absorb more than 30 g of protein at one time, so stick to 30 g and below. Look for LOW carbs and little or no sugar. You can get them premixed or you can buy the powder.

I have been drinking the Costo brand Premier which is an 11 ounce premixed shake with 30 g of protein. I love them nice and cold so I keep them in the fridge and drink them in a nice cold glass. Sometimes I put them in the magic bullet with some ice.

If you get vanilla whey protein powder, you can add fruits and skim milk and make all sorts of flavors. You can add the vanilla protein powder and milk to sugar free instant pudding, too.

Premier are full meal replacement shakes and I take one every morning and it keeps me full until my mid-morning snack. If I am craving food at this time of night and think I can't sleep, I'll have another.

People also love some of the Muscle Milk shakes. I haven't tried them yet, but I will.
    I also purchased Bariatric Advantage powder online and loved both the strawberry and banana powders...YUMMY with skim millk and the magic bullet to froth them up, even though you CAN save calories by making them with water.

Lean meat is also an excellent source of protein without the carbs. Chicken, too.
    My food plan is based on eating 80 grams of protein a day and eating protein first at every meal. It's my friend according to my doctor!

WOW! I wish I would have seen this before I went searching through MFP posts looking for info on protein powders. I've never used protein powders before and the only shakes I have had (Besides the yummy ones from steak and shake) are meal replacements. I'm not looking to up calories too much just add in protein and give myself a break because some days I just don't want to eat meat or yogurt in the morning but I force myself since the alternative is carbs (they are my achille's heal)... Thanks so much for all this information. I'm going to have to give some of these a try!!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Bam

Bam x 2.

If it weren't for protein shakes/powders, I would never meet my 130g+ protein goal. Optimum Nutrition's products are my faaavorite.
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    Nuts are generally high in protein. And if you're still finding that it's hard to get enough, you can always use a protein shake mix for an extra boost.

Yes nuts do hold a good burst of protein, especially when involved in a good shake
  • Kywesley
    Kywesley Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Is is just whole beans that you do not like? If so, you might try something like a hummus or bean dip. One of my favorites is to mix a can of drained white beans in a food processor and puree with some garlic, lemon, salt, pepper, and parsley. It makes a great dip for fresh veggies but provides protein as well.
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I make my own protien granola bar... My whole family eats them so I am make them weekly.... yum. Message me if you want the easy recipie
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I hear nut butter is full of protein.