Should I stop completely?

Options
I’m signed up to run a half marathon in August and this week is my first week of training. My Achilles’ tendon had started getting irritated and feels really tight when I begin to run, but then is fine after it warms up. It doesn’t hurt before running or after I run unless I pinch it, but I’m afraid of injuring it. Do you think I need to stop running completely? I already have a base of about 5 miles so it would be fine, but if possible, I really don’t want to stop working out and get out of shape.

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching enough/a lot/at all? What if any cross training are you doing? How long do you warm up? Are you trying to run for speed or keeping your pace slow? Do you warm up first? How quickly did you try to increase your mileage?
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I stretch before and after. I’m currently just running to finish the race, so slow, 11ish minutes per mile. I’ve been running 2 and 3 milers for the last two years pretty regularly
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Did it just start hurting? Did anything change (especially new/different shoes)?

First, make sure you have the right shoes for your feet. Then ease into it. Go slowly and don't increase your distance too quickly (I assume you are following a good plan, right?).
  • Sassafras106
    Sassafras106 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It’s a Hal Higdon plan. I do have a couple long runs at the end that I most likely don’t need in order to complete the race so I can probably just knock all the long runs back a week and ride bike instead of long run this week...
    thank you!
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it is tight. Might be worth getting some advice from a qualified physio. You might need to do some more stretching I.e not just before and after running
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I’m signed up to run a half marathon in August and this week is my first week of training. My Achilles’ tendon had started getting irritated and feels really tight when I begin to run, but then is fine after it warms up. It doesn’t hurt before running or after I run unless I pinch it, but I’m afraid of injuring it. Do you think I need to stop running completely? I already have a base of about 5 miles so it would be fine, but if possible, I really don’t want to stop working out and get out of shape.

Achilles tendonopathy is potentially quite serious, and generally the most appropriate treatment is to rest until it goes away, and then establish the cause. That said, if you're finding that it eases once you start then it may not be the achilles. Plantar fasciaitis can also exhibit in the same area.

If it is the achilles then stretching is unlikely to be a solution; tendons aren't supposed to be too flexible.

Have you changed shoes recently? Or are you training on different terrain than you're used to?

I would suggest a physio personally though.
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Achilles tendonopathy is potentially quite serious, and generally the most appropriate treatment is to rest until it goes away, and then establish the cause. That said, if you're finding that it eases once you start then it may not be the achilles. Plantar fasciaitis can also exhibit in the same area.

If it is the achilles then stretching is unlikely to be a solution; tendons aren't supposed to be too flexible.

Have you changed shoes recently? Or are you training on different terrain than you're used to?

I would suggest a physio personally though.

This. Do not ignore it. I did, and I now have a permanent achilles injury and I will never run again (unless I’m being chased by something!)