When did your thighs stop chafing?

Options
You know what I mean. That annoying rubbing/chafing/burning sensation when you don’t have a thigh gap and it’s summer and you dare to wear that cute dress you love :s
Im halfway to my goal weight and have lost inches here and there, but we all know the “there” is never the area we would have picked ourselves if given a choice :D
Yesterday I picked up a couple of cute dresses at Winners, and while I’m totally stoked that they’re both size medium (Yay! NSV) I’m looking at them and mentally planning which Spanx shorts I’ll have to wear them with. It’s making me mentally discouraged just a smidge...
Please help me out by sharing when in your weight loss journey you stopped having this problem, how it felt, what victory dance you picked and the fabulous clothes that you celebrated by getting.

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I'm looking forward to it!
  • karenforya
    karenforya Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, it's funny that you brought up this topic! Just last night I went for one of my routine walks and I thought to myself, hmm, it seems as there is some breathing room in said space. Feels good! Plus it's humid here so I'm feeling the NSV love.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    About 10 lbs in the overweight BMI range for me, but I carry my weight in my torso more than my legs and hips.

After losing 72 lbs I’m about 5 lbs below the highest normal BMI weight, so not that skinny. I now have to consciously walk with a wide gape or I will trip over my own feet. It’s very weird that my legs don’t naturally keep my feet wide enough apart to keep me from walking into myself.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thank you! That gives me something to look forward to! I might keep the dresses :)
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It wasn't until I got under 150 that I stopped having chub rub.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I just hit the "healthy" section for BMI and still waiting for a thigh gap *sigh I'm 5ft 8 and 164lbs
  • KMom0501
    KMom0501 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Deodorant on your thigh skin helps a ton with that. I wear dresses every day for work and hate spanx and panty hose. Makes a huge difference
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    KMom0501 wrote: »
    Deodorant on your thigh skin helps a ton with that. I wear dresses every day for work and hate spanx and panty hose. Makes a huge difference

Great tip! Thanks! :)
    Any particular brand? Gel or powder?
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't Vaseline also work?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Try something like Body Glide or Gold Bond Friction Defense. I've never had a thigh gap, even when firmly in the middle of my healthy BMI range. Just not built that way.
  • fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll ever have a thigh gap, didn't have one at 15kg lighter. But i discovered thigh bands last summer and they are the best thing! Search for Bandelettes on Amazon. They come in different colours, lace or plain. You can still wear your normal knickers and no need to squeeze into spanx, plus hubby likes them cos they look like hold ups ;)
  • 220Dani
    220Dani Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Another one for deodorant. It's saved my thighs so many times. Make sure to get the kind that goes on clear.
  • H2596
    H2596 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I bought a pair of cotton culottes/slip last summer when for the first time ever my thighs were chafing when I walked. They did the trick and were loose enough to feel like an ordinary slip.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am 170 lb and size 10/12 and my thighs still touch/rub but I don't ever have chafing. Thing is, I was over 250 lb for almost 20 years and wore a lot of skirts and shorts with nothing else and still didn't have chafing. Why, I don't know!? I read about this sometimes from guys and girls and I can't relate and it really surprises me because I was so big and didn't have this issue. I had plenty of other issues like bra line pimples in summer and (until I was about a size 16) a slightly irritated area on my belly fat from wearing jeans with metal button closure.

BUT when I was still a kid (like 130 lb and wearing ladies clothing, regular length shorts) I got chafing so bad on my thighs in the summertime that sometimes it would bleed...I had to get Bermuda length shorts. Maybe something to do with thinner/thicker skin? I have no idea. The tips here sound good though.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I like the Jockey Skimmies Slipshort under dresses and skirts. They aren’t shapewear at all, just very soft “longline” underwear.
  • avocados9
    avocados9 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I recommend wearing leggings for activity, but wearing shorts under a dress to prevent the summer chafe.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    It depends on your body type. I've always had thick thighs. I'm 5'4" and even at my lowest weight of 120lbs (size 0/2) my thighs still rubbed together. Hate to be the Debbie downer, but depending on how you are built, it may not happen.

Another trick to help with the chafing though is baby powder. It helps absorb the moisture (sweat) which causes the chafing.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Even when I was nearly morbidly obese I never had an issue with my thighs rubbing or chafing
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Cerave heal and protect balm no touch stick.
    Rub it all in the chaffing areas. It is amazing stops chaffing , feels good, heals