Difficulty making calorie goals

I am trying to gain about 10 lbs - not necessarily for bodybuilding, just to look better in general. However I'm having a really hard time eating much more than my TDEE. I feel way too full and like I'm going to be sick. I'm not lifting now but I had the same problem then. I've been trying to eat higher calorie foods like avocado and peanut butter (both of which I enjoy) yet I have almost never met my calorie goal. It's getting so I don't even want to track my food anymore because I feel terrible when it's 9 pm and I see I have 500 calories left to go.

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited May 2018
    I am trying to gain about 10 lbs - not necessarily for bodybuilding, just to look better in general. However I'm having a really hard time eating much more than my TDEE. I feel way too full and like I'm going to be sick. I'm not lifting now but I had the same problem then. I've been trying to eat higher calorie foods like avocado and peanut butter (both of which I enjoy) yet I have almost never met my calorie goal. It's getting so I don't even want to track my food anymore because I feel terrible when it's 9 pm and I see I have 500 calories left to go.

What is your TDEE? If you're feeling "too full and ... going to be sick," what exactly are you eating shortly beforehand? What does your normal day's consumption look like (including meal times), with a focus on what you're eating before your last 500 calories? How do you prepare your feeds? Herbs spices, marinades ... Method of cooking - Fry, steam, roast, bake, grill, smoke, ...? Could this be the cause to you feeling nauseous? Are you doing something different? And if you weren't eating to meet your TDEE what was your normal?

ETA: Removed an unnecessary "a"
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited May 2018
    Why are you not lifting now? Any gains you make will be fat - is this really your goal?

The op explained that they want to look better. I can relate to this, having been a skinny minnie all my life.
    Op, things which have helped me include : making sure my first meal of the day is early (if I have breakfast late, I'm then not hungry for lunch, making it hard to reach my goal) and, where possible, logging my food at the start of the day so I can see if I'm going to be in a deficit and get in a few extra snacks, and eating smaller more frequent meals. Your stomach will eventually get used to the extra food.
    Have a look at the stickies at the top of the forum, especially "Are you a hard gainer" (I can't paste the link on my phone) which gives great tips. You basically want to aim for food that's high in calories but doesn't fill you up too much. Eat full fat dairy, add extra oil to vegetables and in cooking and "junk food" is fine!
    Eta : On days when I find it hard to get enough food down, I drink my calories instead! Milk shakes, smoothies, protein shakes and ice cream
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

Read that, but also, start lifting now if your goal is to look better. Otherwise, you will just be a fatter self.
  • DannyGonzo21
    DannyGonzo21 Posts: 6 Member
    It might be worth it for you to invest in a Mass Gainer of some sort. Most are 1000 calories + in one serving with lots of carbs/protein and low in fat. You could just do half servings. They work best when combined with lifting however, but would definitely help fill in the gaps.
  • mirajulin
    mirajulin Posts: 8 Member
    My savior has been milk. 4 big beer classes (5dl) a day of milk is 1200kcal and has a lot of protein.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    calorie dense food.

nut butters, shakes(not necessarily protien), trail mixes
  • kevisaacson
    kevisaacson Posts: 2 Member

What is your TDEE? If you're feeling "too full and ... going to be sick," what exactly are you eating shortly beforehand? What does your normal day's consumption look like (including meal times), with a focus on what you're eating before your last 500 calories? How do you prepare your feeds? Herbs spices, marinades ... Method of cooking - Fry, steam, roast, bake, grill, smoke, ...? Could this be the cause to you feeling nauseous? Are you doing something different? And if you weren't eating to meet your TDEE what was your normal?

Sorry for the delay, I don't get any alerts about replies. My TDEE is 1455. MFP says I should be eating 1900 (!). I can't eat 1700 without feeling sick. I eat meals but I try and snack between them. I'm not doing anything "different" than I used to except tracking my calories & trying to eat more. I'm eating pasta, bagels, almonds, avocados, eggs, olive oil when applicable, etc. I can't drink milk or eat ice cream, but I do use substitutes (either almond or coconut). Is 500 above TDEE just not a realistic goal?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member

Sorry for the delay, I don't get any alerts about replies. My TDEE is 1455. MFP says I should be eating 1900 (!). I can't eat 1700 without feeling sick. I eat meals but I try and snack between them. I'm not doing anything "different" than I used to except tracking my calories & trying to eat more. I'm eating pasta, bagels, almonds, avocados, eggs, olive oil when applicable, etc. I can't drink milk or eat ice cream, but I do use substitutes (either almond or coconut). Is 500 above TDEE just not a realistic goal?

Oh boy...I just increased my cals to 3000. You're welcome to check out my diary.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

So eat 250 over goal for 0.5lbs per week.
    Having said that, there is no reason for 1700 cals to fill you up to the point you feel sick. Are you sure of your numbers and the accuracy of your logging?
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member

Read through this, recalculate your TDEE using 3 different calculators. Take the average of the 3 and commit to it as your new TDEE. I do not believe that 500 is an unrealistic increase, however, being that you are feeling sick when eating 1700 calories, I would increase by your new TDEE average estimate by 100 calories for the 1st week. Every week thereafter increase by 50 calories, only if you aren't feeling nauseous by the week's end. If by the end of each week, you're finding that your stomach feels full yet you're not feeling queasy, eat at the same caloric target for an additional week, before moving up another 50 calories.

I'm sharing how my sister and I managed to eat up, as recommended to us by SideSteel aka Patrick Umphrey's of Eat, Train, Progress and Acg67. Another target to shoot for, which they'd suggested was to aim to hit 260 calories per meal or snack, to make goal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2018

Also, it would be highly unlikely for a male to have a TDEE that low.

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    If eating too close to bed time makes you sick then eat earlier. Get up early and chow down immediately after waking.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member

Are you a guy or girl???If you are a guy, there is no way you're TDEE is 1455.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    fb47 wrote: »

Even as a chick! My TDEE is around 2700!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member

Even as a chick! My TDEE is around 2700!

You are indeed a chick. But, you left out the most important part of that......you are a kick-*kitten* chick! That gains you 250 points to your TDEE, right? :-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Your profile says you're a male...there's no way your TDEE is 1490 calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Also, it would be highly unlikely for a male to have a TDEE that low.

cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Your profile says you're a male...there's no way your TDEE is 1490 calories.

Methinks maybe he's confusing TDEE with BMR.

But even then it seems low. I ran a hypothetical 5'7", 140 pound, 25 year old male through Scooby's calculator and it comes up with a BMR of 1581 and TDEE (for sedentary) of 1897.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited May 2018
    I played around with the Scooby calculator for a few minutes. A 5'0", 83 pound man at 25 years old would have an estimated sedentary TDEE of 1453 calories. So OP is either very, very tiny and petite for a man, or there's an error in his calculations.