Calories

Options
moejack59
moejack59 Posts: 3 Member
Hi everyone I’m new. Do you have to use all your Calories every day?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Every day? No. But you should average out over the week.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It depends. Your body doesn't reset at midnight every night. So, if you know that you're going to be doing something on... say, Sunday, and you choose to go under your daily calories by 150 from Monday to Saturday, come Sunday, you have 900 calories (150x6) on top of Sunday's allotment for a splurge.

In general, unless you're very short very sedentary, you should not be under 1200 calories for a woman, 1500 for a man.

Go too far below your recommended calories and, while initially you might be okay, over time a steep deficit will catch up and you're likely to be hungry, lethargic, etc.

That being said, if you don't hit your calories precisely, day in, day out, it's fine. One day where you're way under or over won't make a difference in the long run. (The scale might give you a heads-up if you weigh in the day after a splurge, just like it will if you weigh-in while significantly dehydrated. But it'll even out over the next few days.)
  • moejack59
    moejack59 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your Advice , I’ll keep that all in mind but I am Trying to eat the whole 1240 cal per day. I’m also exercising a lot for miles walking each day and I also started tonight riding bike I did 2 miles the hills are hard But it’s good cardio
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Rarely. I eat 1200 + ~75% of my exercise calories. As I usually get one really good jog in for the morning (in addition to lighter workouts during the day), I'm usually eating around 1500-1800 calories/day.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest benefits to not eating all of your calories allowed is to account for errors in logging. Depending on how you are weighing your food or logging it you can have errors. Ensuring you are a bit under helps make sure that you are actually not going over. This can be especially true when logging foods when eating out where weighing foods is not normally the rule. For instance, I may weigh every item to the gram/ml in my meals at home, but when I go out to a salad bar or AYCE Asian Buffet, I just estimate it and try to log high.
  • mcfly216
    mcfly216 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I’m still pretty new to using this app but I rarely hit my calories for the day. But I also don’t starve myself to stay under. I eat when I’m hungry and stop when I’m full. But like others have said if I know I’m going to have a high calorie meal (eating out) I’ll mainly stick to water and light snacks for the day.