Starting Chemo today

Options
So I have been on and off mfp for years now. I'm 27 years old and recently diagnosed with breast cancer stage 3. I underwent a bilateral mastectomy and now onto the next phase ..chemo. I feel I need to try and focus on my health and what I'm putting into my body. I have a lot of what-ifs going through my head but that's not going to help me now. Words of encouragement and maybe any advise from others trying to eat healthy and have went through something similar would be great.

Replies

• dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It’s good you’re also focusing on your nutrition which is a key component to beating cancer. Sending you strength!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    ((Hugs))
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Chemo is hellish, and one thing you will probably find is that your tastebuds will change and the foods and drinks you once loved, you may not love any longer. So yes, while nutrition is important, it is most important that you just get food into your system. So with the nausea and taste changes you may experience, eat what you can keep down.

So sorry you are going through this. But you can beat this. I'm an 11 year cancer survivor. I wish you the best. ((Hugs))

My mom is a 20 yr cancer survivor, and this exactly describes what she went through. You are going to be under enough stress, and likely lose a good chunk of your appetite, so focus on your physical health more than your weight.

Also, if you have to do radiation too, know this: Your loved ones understand that your body is having to repair itself every day. You do NOT need to apologize to anyone for not having energy to go anywhere, or host visits for friends, or anything. My mom had her rad treatment when I was very young, and she would apologize to me every day when she was so tired she fell asleep instead of interacting with me. Never minded her falling asleep, I knew she was really sick and sleep helped her, but did get tired of the apologies!

Hang in there hun! Your body is amazing and will get you through this. One day at a time =)

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    You will absolutely be in my thoughts!
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
    Most cancer centers have nutritionists to answer any questions you have and guide you. As well as social support too. There’s good resources that should be available. Take advantage of as much as you want to help you on this journey.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Prayers for strength and healing as you fight this.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Just eat something....anything that sounds good thru the nausea! Thoughts and HUGS.... Keep us posted <3
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the very best...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,846 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I thought I could try to eat better but the nausea has kicked in for sure. So I guess I just need to eat whatever I can right now. Thank you all for responding

Definitely just focus on eating whatever you can right now and take care of yourself. You can worry about the rest later. I wish you all the best.
  • garbagebag02
    garbagebag02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!! MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU!!!
  • wannabesmaller2017
    wannabesmaller2017 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thoughts and prayers with you! Cancer sucks. When my mom was going through breast cancer chemo and radiation, she was told to eat what sounded good. Try to eat healthy, but it was not the time to watch her weight. And that first round of chemo was the worst for her. Hang in there and let others take care of you! They want to help!