Help with shin splints

Options
_cleptokitten_
_cleptokitten_ Posts: 5 Member
edited May 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I got shin splints doing the 30 day shred (all that damn jumping .___. ) and i need some advice as to how to deal with it, not on insurance atm so i cant visit the doctor. First time ive ever had this, and any time someone so much as lightly bumps into my shin i yelp in pain lol

Replies

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Take some ibuprofen and ice your shins every 3-4 hours for a couple of days. If it truly is shin splints, you're going to need to take some time off to let them heal, maybe a month or more. In the meantime, don't do any exercise that will stress those muscles. When it no longer hurts to walk, maybe swim or ride your bike. When you've made it a few weeks without pain, you can work your way back up to walking, then jogging, then running, but don't push yourself to do too much while you're recovering.
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yea PkeyBug's advice is on point, I am dealing with shin splints at the moment and it can take up to 70 days to fully heal, but most people wait a few weeks before getting back out there.

You can buy shin compression sleeves, proper shoes, run on softer terran like trails or grass or tracks, if you are running reduce pace and mileage when starting back up. All of that will help avoid getting them again.

There are a few stretches that can help with shin splints like the the vajrasana yoga pose.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I used to have really bad shin splints from walking. They went away when I bought shoes with great arch support. If your shoes are older or worn out, they may be the culprit.
  • nodley
    nodley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've had shin splints and I had to rest up, even walking hurt.

Try cycling for exercise instead.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    you don't need a dr. ice rest advil
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've found flexibility in my lower legs (calves, ankles) makes a difference in preventing my shin splints. I'm not back up to the flexibility I need yet there to run or walk long distances without shin splints again, but I'm working towards it. LOTS of stretching in those areas, while getting your cardio in less impact activity could help. I use the elliptical and stationary bike, instead of the treadmill or just plain walking. (Starting to love the rowing machine too.) I know from experience that it takes my shins a few months of flexibility work to get where it's not a problem after I get started working out.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I went to a doctor for killer shin splints and they really didn't do much. What's helped me is ice, stretching (both before and after exercise and daily just for flexibility), ALL THE ALEVE the label says I can safely take, and rest. If you have a foam roller rolling out your legs helps. There are also some exercises you can find online to help prevent them. Good luck!