Lowest weight this week?

Options
I weigh myself daily. That’s just how I stay accountable.

Silly question.

Is my lowest weight that week my “true” weight?

Sorry if that doesn’t make any sense!

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    erjones11 wrote: »
    I always wonder the same thing Spirit. I weigh every single day. I only log my weight in MFP on Sunday mornings. That is my official weight, I guess. That said I have weighed a couple of pounds lower three days before my official day but I follow the rules even if I made them up. The rule for me is official weigh in Sunday first thing!

I have been thinking though of a new rule and just logging every day, since I weigh every day any way.

For those of you who are going to start saying that's not healthy you shouldn't weight every day. I don't care that's what I do.

There are plenty of weight trending apps for this so you can see your overall trend. Happy scale is one.

Your weight will always be a range not a specific number.
  • freespirit427
    freespirit427 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So when someone asks what you weigh, do you say an in genera weight? Ball park it? What you weigh that day? Like for my drivers license. What do you put? Goal weight? I know it really doesn’t matter. Just curious.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    For me DL I just tell them the general range. But when people ask and I tell my most recent official weight from Sunday morning.
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much every day but have only been logging if weight is lower. I know from history Friday is typically my lowest weight for the week because during the week we have lower sodium food and I also run Wed n Sat and deliver catalogues Tues- Thurs depending. So Friday I am also not retaining water from exercise. mfp updates cal goals based on weight this is why I use the lowest weight. Eg yesterday I did a 10km run instead of normal 5. I am up a kg this morning I don’t think my calorie goal for today should be adjusted up for water retention.

I’ll be taking a maintenance break from July and then I will log every weight regardless. I’ve slipped up before telling myself that when I did jump on the scales and my weight was up it was just fluid retention etc. while I will expect to see ups n downs I’ll use my weekly avg to monitor if weight is stable.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    When I was losing (still seem to be even though I should be staying even now) and was absolutely sure I was in deficit every single day, I recorded only my low weights. There would be another within a few days. Now, I am not adjusting until I see it a few times. Yesterday morning I saw the lowest weight I have seen in about 35 years, but I can't legitimately record that yet.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    So when someone asks what you weigh, do you say an in genera weight? Ball park it? What you weigh that day? Like for my drivers license. What do you put? Goal weight? I know it reallydoesn’t matter. Just curious.

Why in the world would you need to answer someone who is rude enough to ask what you weigh? Or that you needed to give them a precise weight? As far as the Driver's License Bureau, unless they have a scale close by, I guess you can tell them any number you think they won't challenge you on LOL. Of course, if you're 300 lbs and you tell them 125 . . . .
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I can understand just wanting a number you can use for calories burned calculators and your daily calorie allowance. I just round down to the nearest 5 from what I weighed last. But I only weigh once a month, because I drive myself crazy when I do it daily, lol. Last time I weighed, I was somewhere in the low 140s, so that's the number I'll put into my calorie allowance calculator and my calories burned calculators until next month.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think I have a "true weight".

I have a short-term weight range, and a long term weight trend.

Over the course of a day or a few days, my scale weight will fluctuate up and down through a range of a few pounds, for the reasons I mentioned (among others). That's my short-term weight range. (How many pounds are in that range varies by person.)

Over the course of a few weeks to months and beyond, my weight range is moving up, down, or staying kind of level. If I'm gaining fat (which I can do fast) or gaining muscle (which is slow under the best conditions) my weight range will move upward. If I'm losing fat (which I might want to do) or losing muscle or other lean tissue (which is mostly something I want to avoid), my weight range will move downward. If I'm maintaining fat and lean tissue at a more or less constant amount, my weight range will be steady (ups and downs around the same level).

Scale weight is always a jagged line of ups and downs, even if I weigh myself at the same time under the same conditions every day. That's totally normal. If I want to lose weight, I want those jagged ups and downs to gradually trend downward, like bumps on a downhill slope. If I want to gain weight, I want the jagged ups and downs to trend upward, like bumps on an uphill slope. If I want to maintain weight, I want the jagged ups and downs to stay roughly around the same range, like bumps on basically level ground.

That's how I think about weight. I don't have a single "true weight" per se, just a current range, and a long-term trend.
  • Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use happy scale It takes into considerations fluctuations. I've heard people that have an android device use libra.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I used to do my "official" weigh in on Sundays, but I found with my indulgences on Friday and Saturday night, my Sunday weigh in was always a little inflated with water weight. I find my Friday morning weigh in is more consistent with the work I've done during the week. I started using my Friday weight as my "official" weekly weigh in, but I also track daily in libra (weight tracking app on android)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    When I was in my active-losing phase, I recorded the mean of the numbers I had the last 3 days of my week. As I tapered toward maintenance & wasn't weighing daily, I recorded the number that I was most consistently hitting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Silly question.

You don't have a "true" weight. Body weight isn't static. In maintenance I can be up or down 2-3 Lbs and sometimes more from my average weight...ie my average maintenance weight is 180...some days I will be around 177 or 178 or 183.

Your best bet is to just use a weight trend app. The number isn't really important...the trend is.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, my weight fluctuates. It hovers between about 5 lbs, then drops and hovers around a lower number. I have decided Monday is my weigh in date when i log. If anyone asks my weight, i round it to the closest 5 lbs. i dont worry about being precise at the dmv.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Silly question.

You don't have a "true" weight. Body weight isn't static. In maintenance I can be up or down 2-3 Lbs and sometimes more from my average weight...ie my average maintenance weight is 180...some days I will be around 177 or 178 or 183.

Your best bet is to just use a weight trend app. The number isn't really important...the trend is.

^ Yep. Definitely not static, not even in maintenance. This is what maintenance looks like for me for the last 6 months. Gray line is daily weigh-ins, red line is weight trend:

i8wd9tkdatcc.png
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    @AnvilHead what app is that you're using? I'm not near maintenance yet but I love the idea of having the visual of your goal range for a daily trend app