Lifting weights while fasting in Ramadan (20 hour fast)

Options
halimaiqbal00
halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
So I am currently fasting for Ramadan from 1.25am-9.25 pm. The only time I am able to visit the gym is around 11am. I can’t drink water while I am fasting. I feel fine while working out and do this 3 days a week on Mon, Weds and Sat. I am not working anyway near as intensely as I normally do and I stick on 10 min of the stair master after lifting. I don’t go over 50 mins for the entire workout.

I just wanted to know, if I’m feeling ok, is lifting weights while observing such a long fast detrimental in way to my body? Working out is a habit for me now and the thought of not being able to do it for an entire month gives me mild anxiety but on the other hand, if it’s doing more harm than good to my physical body, it’s not worth it. In previous years, I’ve stuck to long walks instead of the gym but that’s caused too much weight loss.

Looking for some advice really.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling fine I don't see a problem. I'm sure there are others who do 20:4 IF or less (like your Ramadan window) who are still able to lift.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I have to lift after 9 pm (iftar) and before 5 am (fajr). I cannot do it on an empty stomach, my mouth dries out, light headedness and general weakness. Also during Ramadan it is recommended that you avoid strenuous activity during the day. However if you are able to exercise during the day all the good to you. I don't see a problem lifting on an empty stomach but I wouldn't recommend it. My friends and I go for a walk at 12 am and then lift afterwards until 3 or so am.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since you should be weak compared to normal - make sure you follow some rules of maintenance.

Keep the weight on the bar, don't back that off, but back off frequency & duration if need be. So less sets, less reps.

You can make it similar to a deload week, but more maintenance really.

Confirm you are getting enough calories in your 4 hr window if no restriction on that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    The thing that would concern me about strenuous excercise wouldnt be so much the food fasting part - if you feel fine that part should be ok - - but if you are not allowed water you would have to be careful not to dehydrate?