Is there anyone around 400lb or 190kg? Or previously weighed that much?

Options
Do you have any hints or tips that you found helpful?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I know I have seen posters who started out in the 300's + at least, so I wanted to bump your post.

Until you get replies, my general tips for anyone are to log accurately and consistently (even the bad days), learn from your log as you go, make small incremental changes so you don't get overwhelmed, and be patient and kind with yourself.

Good luck!
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hey bud, welcome to MFP. My advice is to form a strong support network, in real life and on here. Be honest with them and let them support you through the good and the bad. It makes a huge difference. Good luck! Feel free to add me x
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Do you have any hints or tips that you found helpful?

add me as friend and send me a personal message.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I used to be more than 350lbs. I'm 5'7" and a woman. I'm down to right under 180. Here's how I did it and what I've learned:

1. Motivation: YOU have to be your own best motivator. Sure, friends & family can help, but in the end, it's YOU that has to want it bad enough.
    2. Acceptance. Weight loss isn't fast, easy or linear. Just keep going and you'll get there.
    3. Dieting. NO!!!! "Diets" do not work. Unless you can follow a "diet" for the rest of your life, they will ultimately fail.
    4. Change. Changing your entire life style at one and keeping it, is near impossible. Change one thing, when that change becomes a habit, change another. Over time, small changes will add up to huge results.
    5. Be reasonable. It took longer than a few months to put the weight on, it's not going to come off in a week. Set realistic goals. You can even set 50 goals. Lose 10lbs, do 1 true push-up, walk 2 miles, each time you achieve a goal that's success.
    6. Start slow and build momentum. I've seen so many people that start by trying to lose 2lbs a week and quit withing a few weeks because they are always hungry. I did that a few times myself. Start with just eating a maintenance, if you keep gaining weight, stopping the gain IS A SUCCESS. Once you're comfortable eating at maintenance, then go to 1/2 lb per week. Repeat each time you feel comfortable eating less, increasing the rate your losing until you find yourself frustrated by lack of food...then go back to where you were comfortable.
    7. Unless you are legitimately allergic or have an intolerance for a food, there are no "good" or "bad" foods. Eat mostly healthy, have snacks in moderation to make sure you keep your caloric goals.
    8. Read labels!!!! A LOT of "health food" is purely marketing propaganda. Point: per serving Cookie Crisp cereal has a lot fewer calories than Quaker Real Medley Cranberry Almond cereal.
    9. Try new foods. Having unsweetened almond milk with cereal or oats instead of fat free dairy milk will save you 60 calories a cup. It may not be a lot, but a few substitutions can add up to a lot over a week.
    10. Don't quit!!!! Even if you royally screw up a day or even a week. If you lost 20lbs and have a bad week and gain 3 back, that is still a 17lbs loss. If you get tired of eating at a deficit, go back to eating at maintenance for a month, regroup and then go back to eating at a deficit.
    11. Give yourself a huge reward for a huge accomplishment. Mine was a vacation to London if I dropped under 200lbs. Make it something you've always wanted. As far as cost goes, eating less helped me save the money for my vacation.

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    You won't get a better answer than what @VUA21 posted.

:)