Motivational Problems

Options
Hello. I just joined this app. My main goal is to lose weight! Quickly. But I am not very active.
I seek help and guidance. I need to learn to be active!!!

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be start small. Quick weightloss is what everyone wants but is really unrealistic. To lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way and in a way that is likely to actually stay off, you are best concentrating on 1lb, or 0.5kg a week.

As far as active goes, find ways to slowly increase your activity levels. Start with a 10 min walk a day at a brisk pace, and build it up to 30 minutes. There are also thousands of free workout videos on line for every level - I like fitnessblender.com.

What you want to do is add things into your routine, dont change your routine to incorporate them, because then you wont stick to it.

and finally most weightloss is about what you put into your mouth, not what you do for exercise. If you are on MFP chances are you want to track your food and exercise. If you track your food, track EVERYTHING, and weight it. You will be amazed at what an actual serving is compared to what you think it is. It is so easy to over eat without realising it.

Good luck!
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight quickly is why a lot of people burn out and give up. It took me four years to lose 110 pounds, so I did it slowly, but it was much more sustainable. Seconding the previous poster in starting small and working your way up. Invest in a food scale (I got mine for $10) and track everything. Don't limit your foods too much (unless you're interested in a specialized diet like keto, which I could never do, but it works great for some people), and keep portions for calorie-dense foods small. Eat tons of vegetables and drink lots of water. Walking, swimming, yoga (like vinyasa flow), gentle strength-training, and the elliptical are good places to start for beginners.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Great advice so far. The only other thing I will tell you is that once you become active you will find that it affects you in such a positive way that you will look forward to it. What you eat and staying at about a 500 calorie deficit is key, I feel that the two go hand in hand though.
  • Just_Do_It2018
    Just_Do_It2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not quickly yet ill add you so we can friends
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Download the MFP app on your phone, so you can log your food and exercises. And have the site in your bookmarks bar, so you can see it. Maybe set a reminder to set aside 5 minutes out of the day to log all of what you did.

Do what works for you.

There are some wonderful people on this site and community, post in different threads whatever questions you have, add friends for accountability.

Just stick with it. Maybe have a nice pinterest board of motivating quotes and etc. :)

Gl OP :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Most of us didn't gain weight quickly, it just kind of crept up over the years. As other have mentioned losing slowly is the sustainable way to go. Maintaining a big calorie deficit usually translates into depriving yourself of the foods you love. A modest calorie deficit makes it much more doable (if you think about it, a (real) deficit of a 100 cal daily for a year would translate into about 10lbs lost with zero deprivation.....)

Adding activity does 2 things for you. First, and IMO most importantly you improve your fitness - cardiovascular health is extremely important - improves sleep, and improves your overall sense of well being. Secondly even modest increases in activity can make it easier to maintain your caloric deficit (but beware, many fitness trackers & apps - including MFP - tend to overestimate calories expended). Pick activities that you enjoy and are likely to keep up in the long term.
  • Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Find others that are active or want to be active and hang with them.
  • Sel118
    Sel118 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I got a £25 fitness tracker on amazon a couple of months ago and that was a great motivator for me. Usually I would have maybe took the kids a short walk to the small park but after buying fitness tracker I can now see if I've not done many steps that day and it makes me want to walk a couple more miles to the bigger park. I walk everywhere now, and have started an exercise dvd so I have seen a lot of change since buying it. Hope this helps :)